Author Topic: Hazardous Rooms  (Read 4963 times)

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
Hazardous Rooms
« on: December 18, 2016, 04:33:52 am »
So I was told to post the room name of some very annoying hazardous/maze rooms.

- BGS_LowChaos
This room has a maze of spikes(I hate spikes, especially on Humble when I can accidentally run into them in an otherwise safe room), and with stuff like Lumiflare, the Chomp thing(where big green energy jaw bite on you, which I still cannot avoid consistently, let alone in a maze of spike), and many others like Fleas. Thankfully it did not have Pearls or Banshees. However, despite being a slow, dangerous room, it does not have a teleporter, and being in between the Floor Boss and a large portion of the floor means I have to pass it for multiple times during backtracking

- Cinth_FroggerV3
It might be just me, but I really don't like this kind of room when in Humble, because everytime I would lose 1~2HP crossing. And when this room blocks in front of some important stuff, backtracking costs another 1~2 HP. In my last run, I lost 5HP before I see any enemy, on the first floor. Maybe I am terrible at dodging bullets, but having my health sliced by 1/3 before shooting anything feels... Nice

And there is a small room(I forgot to take its name, but it is the smallest type), where some spikes are in front of the doorway. I was in my Humble and rushing to grab some health... And boom, dashed right into spikes. I think this room had some credits or other resources, but then it is more like a trap, because I at least rushed into spikes like this twice.

If only there is an option to turn off hazardous rooms, and just let me trade($) shot to shot in a raining hail of bullets...

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
Re: Hazardous Rooms
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 08:38:59 pm »
Here is another:

- BGS_WalkOnTheGlass

Another spike maze. This time, no terrifying enemies like the Chomp, but no teleporter either. Lost 5HP during backtracing(not exactly "backtracing", because there was nothing remarkably useful on the other side), which is !!fun!!.

I don't know how the backtracking pedals are spawned, but I wish that there should be at least one on either side of a hazardous room.

A minor problem is, sometimes it is hard to tell which room I am backtracking to unless I walk outside the room and see what's flashing. Looks like the red flash doesn't work sometimes.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 08:59:46 pm »
I don't know how the backtracking pedals are spawned, but I wish that there should be at least one on either side of a hazardous room.

A minor problem is, sometimes it is hard to tell which room I am backtracking to unless I walk outside the room and see what's flashing. Looks like the red flash doesn't work sometimes.

You mean the "teleport to other areas of the level" teleporters?
They're placed in specific rooms.  All boss rooms, all sac rooms, all shops, all major item vaults, all floor_start rooms, and a smattering of other rooms have one.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 09:32:41 pm »
I know that. However, if there is:

| Shop Locked | Safe Room | Harzardous Room without teleporter | Starting Room | Something | Boss Room

And You are here  ^

Now you need to carefully walk on glass to get back.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 09:46:05 pm »
Basically the way that the warp pads were set up for normal rooms is that one in every 7 rooms or so got one; this is all defined in a given room's file.  It wasn't really considered on what else was inside them, as far as normal rooms go (whereas shops and such all got a warp pad, like Draco said).  I just went down the whole list and kept putting them in.

It sounds like that room in question just needs a good tweaking really.  Many of the spike rooms do.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 12:07:27 pm »
It sounds like that room in question just needs a good tweaking really.  Many of the spike rooms do.

Just need a cross-room pad, yeah.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 12:15:04 am »
- Cinth_FroggerV3
It might be just me, but I really don't like this kind of room when in Humble, because everytime I would lose 1~2HP crossing. And when this room blocks in front of some important stuff, backtracking costs another 1~2 HP. In my last run, I lost 5HP before I see any enemy, on the first floor. Maybe I am terrible at dodging bullets, but having my health sliced by 1/3 before shooting anything feels... Nice

Run straight across the room as soon as your in it.  You'll cross before any shots get to the center.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 04:49:04 am »
- Cinth_FroggerV3

Run straight across the room as soon as your in it.  You'll cross before any shots get to the center.

I think Normal and up can't do that? Definitely not Hard.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 06:58:24 am »
My rooms were tested in Normal, so it's possible there.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 10:27:36 am »
If you back out of the room again, all the shots will clear.  So you can enter, realize it's one of THOSE rooms, leave, then sprint through fresh.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 04:47:06 am »
If you back out of the room again, all the shots will clear.  So you can enter, realize it's one of THOSE rooms, leave, then sprint through fresh.

This.  None of the Frogger rooms have enemies, so you can reset it easily.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk