Author Topic: Hard on keyboard?  (Read 10811 times)

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
Re: Hard on keyboard?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 08:02:46 pm »
Hah, the only controller I own are Xbox 360 and Xbox One. OK, then maybe I should get a PS4 one, or just stick with my slow keyboard.

Just asking, what do you press to slow D-Pad movement? There is only the "press the L stick" option.

Oh, and I actually just tried XBox Analog stick, and it is a bit(read "very") difficult for me for now. Looks like no magic happens.

Although my laptop has a touch screen.... Maybe I will try using this to get laser-guided-precision aiming.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 11:25:39 pm »
Well, you can change the bindings as you see fit... when I'm using the dpad I use L2 to handle the slowdown thing.

A big tip when dealing with controllers, at least in my opinion, is:  Don't use the "thumbstick buttons" for anything if you don't have to.   Bloody awkward things, I'll never quite know why they exist in the first place. 

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2016, 01:37:02 am »
Then let me try with those XBox stick first.... Hopefully still better than my keyboard that doesn't respond fast enough.

And, touch-screen-god's-hand-guidance doesn't quite work because, you know, the hand will block your view severely.

And as a side note, I encountered a Krill Spitter in a narrow corridor, and failed to kill it in one shot.

Instant later, the entire walkway is filled with stuff(krills?). I had to hang outside the corridor and waited for that thing to randomly zip by the entrance to kill it with the money-shooter(Humble, you know). Otherwise I have no way to close in without being stormed to death.

What is a better way to deal with these things? Maybe they are slightly less deadly than Pearls(or Banshees. I pray to not meet them.) but no less annoying in a walkway that is just slightly wider than my Mech.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2016, 02:13:54 am »
Krills, well, firstly make sure other things in the area are already destroyed. Krills are Jumpscare type enemies so they will not attack or even move unless you get close. Other than that, try to get them in areas that aren't super open. Preferrably somewhere with corners that you can duck around.  Krills always fire directly at your position... this means you can lead their main shot into crashing into a wall, thus spawning less of the wandering shots.   Leading enemy shots in directions that make them easier to deal with is an important technique overall in a game like this. 

As for Banshees, they actually can be very easy.... the trick is to make sure that the Banshee is the final enemy on the screen.   Why?  Because when you then focus-fire it, and it explodes, the big shot that it's charging will vanish along with it.  So the big scream-wave never fires.    Banshees do absolutely nothing until you hit them with something, so... don't hit them with anything until you're ready to finish them in one go.  And don't fire missiles at them during the charge, as it causes their shot to go bonkers instantly.  AKA, right in your face.   There's a certain other enemy in the late-game that this approach works on as well.

And Pearls are... Pearls.  Haha.  They pretty much do exactly as they were designed to.  The only advice is "don't die".  Well, that, and try to lead their shots if you can.  They're no smarter than the Krills.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2016, 02:21:13 am »
Well, guess I need to change the habit from Very Easy of spamming shots everywhere without looking what is in sight.

Then, each game run is soooooo long that sometimes I need to quit and resume later, and forgot what perks I already have.

BTW, I've seen you videos demonstrating boss fights in some sort of test room. However, I can't find that option in the UI(I'd like some practise). Is it well hidden somewhere, or need some command line arguments, or some magic keypresses?

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 02:44:04 am »
Oh WOW, after I spent 2 minutes rebinding keys for my preferences -> Slow on LT, Fast on LB, Missile RB, Energy RT, I feel like I am playing a toal different game!

And now Normal feels like Easy on keyboard.

Although I have to complain about a specific room, which is composed of totally indestructable maze, lasers, and spikes, with a generator surrounded by maze and spike, and enemies hidden in all places. Yes, finding those enemies are difficult and time consuming, but that is fine.

The infuriating part is that, when I tried to destroy the generator, I missed 5 missiles because I either do that or risk stepping on spikes(I am already half step on it).

And that is first floor. I am on Humble, and thus have no shield. This room has only one set of teleporter, which doesn't really help passing through. I didn't note down the room name because I forgot to do so

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2016, 03:02:14 am »
Yeah, if you see that room again, get the room name and give that to me and I can fix whatever it is.  There's a number of rooms that need fixing probably, but finding out which ones they are exactly is hard.   In particular we need to get some rooms not taking so bloody long.  "Finding enemies" is something that even Chris had big complaints about and is definitely a problem.... not a fun aspect.  It really screws with the pacing of the game but usually doesn't actually add much challenge.   So when you find rooms that do that too much, or are just too crazy, just post the room name on the forum here.  The good thing is that room fixes take hardly any time to do.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2016, 03:13:23 am »
Oh, and sort of a final "complaint" of this post. There is a kind of blue/green enemy of swarmer type(I think its leader is called Omega something), which creates a terrible high pitch noise when firing. I and some people, especially younger ones, are extremely sensitive to high frequencies like that, and this enemy stings my head, physically, in real life. I hope that the SFX can be changed.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2016, 03:15:58 am »
Oh, and sort of a final "complaint" of this post. There is a kind of blue/green enemy of swarmer type(I think its leader is called Omega something), which creates a terrible high pitch noise when firing. I and some people, especially younger ones, are extremely sensitive to high frequencies like that, and this enemy stings my head, physically, in real life. I hope that the SFX can be changed.

Incorrect memory. It's called Swarm-bot, terrible, terrible sound.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2016, 04:31:25 pm »

Incorrect memory. It's called Swarm-bot, terrible, terrible sound.

Ah, yeah. Might be a bit high pitched that one. I'll look for a different SFX, cheers!

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 08:40:43 pm »
Well, looks like that so long as I don't go too crazy, I can consistently beat up to the first form of Boss in Floor 1, on Hard. As long as my keyboard doesn't troll me too much by ignoring inputs.

Although I have no idea how to deal with Sunder.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2016, 09:19:27 pm »
This shows how to deal with Sunder on Hard mode:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owT7SrzQLEQ

I seem to have shown that video a lot at this point.  You sure aren't the only one to have trouble with that boss.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2016, 09:33:48 pm »
Can't see Youtube stuff in China, though.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2016, 09:43:20 pm »
.....Well.  That probably doesn't help very much then, does it... 

Er... it's hard to outright explain how to deal with a bullet-hell pattern, really.  Well, first phase: Mostly use small, short movements to deal with it... just keep slowly shifting around, at your max range.  The shots that break into even more shots aren't random... that's all aimed shots; one shot from each little burst is always directly at you, the others are at angles away from you.  So where all the chaos goes is dependent on where you are.  Move too much and it'll just get wonkier.

Second phase:  Stay far away, and start doing circles around it.  You pretty much *have* to do this.  Clockwise or counter-clockwise, it doesn't matter, choose one and start circling.  You wont be able to turn around.  It constantly re-creates that circle of green shots:  never go inside of that, always stay outside.  With the way the pattern works, as you're constantly rotating around the outside of the arena, the boss will effectively throw out walls of shots in your way, slow down and pass through those, and keep going, still don't turn around (and certainly don't stop).  MOST of your movement here should be with the slowdown function used.  If you don't pass through those little walls quickly enough, they'll distort and hit you, so you may need a burst of slightly faster movement at times.

Hope that helps without being too confusing.

Offline carldong

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2016, 09:54:00 pm »
OK, so I think the second phase is what I am doing incorrectly... But then my weapon don't seem to have enough range if I move at the outer ring, or maybe I am just imaging it.

I see that there are "test room" somewhere, but I don't seem to find it. Where can I enable that thing? I would like to practise a bit on the Boss Fights.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk