Author Topic: Expansion teaser screenshots  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Expansion teaser screenshots
« on: January 31, 2017, 03:18:13 am »
Thought I'd show some here.  Just a few small things, there's a lot of darned cool new stuff coming, so may as well show it off a bit, eh?

A very aggressive boss who tends to attack from really awkward angles.  The fact that it can also use Persistence shots (you know, the ones that never stop chasing you) just makes it so much worse.  This is a late-game boss that appears on floor 6.

A new weapon; I'm not sure if this is found only in the secret room pool or not, but it's extremely strong.   There's a lot of excellent new weapons coming, and there might be an entirely new game mechanic that goes along with them... though that's not set in stone, and I'm not going to hint at what it is!

A funky miniboss that can create ghostly images of itself to add confusion.  It has multiple different attacks, including whatever the heck is going on in this shot.  It's not as hard as some of the others, but the confusing nature of it might get you hit more.  Note that I am not the one that makes minibosses.... don't blame me if you die to these guys!  The new minibosses are usually a little harder than the old ones, so be ready for more of a challenge with these guys.  They are all very unique, which is the main reason why I don't do minibosses:  I'm not good at special unique enemy behaviors, but the others are.   More miniboss variety should be a very welcome addition with this.

This is a new type of consumable called a Totem.  There are various types of Totems, and they all do different things within the radius of their effect.  This one doesn't appear to be doing anything to those bullets passing through it, so what effect exactly is it having?  I'm not going to tell you, haha!   Suffice it to say though, these can get pretty interesting, I really like these things.

A new Fearsome-class enemy.   The core doesn't do anything at first, only the orbitals can attack, and each one has a different pattern it uses.  The patterns are fairly simple, but calibrated specifically to combine with one another to make your life miserable.  But where it gets interesting is after that:  The core is invincible until you destroy it's buddies, and what happens after that gets interesting.  Or at least it will if I can get it fully working.  I'm using some new concepts here.  You might notice some new art types in these shots, too.  This art set is called "DeathSpheres".  They look great, yeah?

This is my favorite of the new mechs that's been added.  Despite that he doesn't start with a shield (yes, I know the little stat display says it does, but it doesn't; if it did this would probably be rather unbalanced) this mech is quite defensive due to it's unique armor.  It also starts with a powerful shotgun-type weapon.  But where it gets REALLY interesting is in that missile launcher.  When you fire it, it drains ALL of your missiles.  The more missiles you have when you fire, the more ridiculous it's effect gets.  You basically blow up the universe with a single monstrous blast (if you have enough).... but then you have no missiles at all.  This guy really forces you to play differently, as while it's powerful, it's *really* bad at blowing up bombables.  Which means that getting health shards and items that are blocked off by bombables is a problem for this guy, because you just cant fire your missiles very often, unlike every other mech that can use them very frequently.  Unless you get a very specific sacrifice room item that synergizes awesomely with this dude.   You can also see there's some other mechs there.  I'm not going to tell you what they do, but they're just as unique as this guy.  This REALLY does a lot for the game's selection of playable characters, so that the Redshift isn't the only one that feels truly unique to use.

Okay, I said I don't do "unique" designs very often for the bad guys, but.... maybe occaisionally.  Like Labyrinth this guy has a unique arena.  Huge, but zooms around the outer edge of the room really quickly; you have to chase him down to do much damage.  But not only does he have an indestructible friend chasing you around, he also drops bullet walls behind him, forcing you to constantly traverse the crowded center area of the room. 

There we go, some expansion teaser shots for the first time.    This is still a ways off, but I wanted to just show a few things to hint at some stuff in here.  There's going to be tons of stuff for you to find on your own, though.   

As always, if you have any ideas/suggestions, by all means, tell us!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 03:30:05 am by Misery »

Offline z99-_

Re: Expansion teaser screenshots
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 07:40:57 am »
Cool! Is totem a word used across the genre for those type of items? I know the word is used in A Wizard's Lizard for AOE items.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 11:19:15 am »
Cool! Is totem a word used across the genre for those type of items? I know the word is used in A Wizard's Lizard for AOE items.

I think it's a type of semi-temporary (i.e. 15, 30, 90 seconds) AOE represented by the placement of a "thing" in/on the ground, the area of effect centered on the Thing.

So it'd be a consumable (most likely) that when activated gives some effect in the area around where it was activated as compared to "on the player."

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 03:33:37 pm »
Basically, yeah, that seems to be the usual use for the word.

Like the various totems in PoE that are pretty much that exact concept.

So in the screenshot, the mysterious effect is in that blue zone only.  Things outside of it aren't affected.

The totems stay out for quite some time though, so if you place them properly, you can get a lot of use out of them.

Offline z99-_

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 06:32:13 pm »
Good to know. Are there any more specifics that can be released about how the kickstarter is going to work? :D

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 06:34:59 pm »
Oh oh! More things to kill and more stuff to kill said things with. Quite exciting.
Also, it sounds like the Warhog's Cataclysm Launcher name was well deserved. :D

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 07:37:12 pm »
Oh oh! More things to kill and more stuff to kill said things with. Quite exciting.
Also, it sounds like the Warhog's Cataclysm Launcher name was well deserved. :D

Yes, it surprised me when I first used it.

I was in a smaller room, I fired it ONCE, and the entire room exploded.  There wasn't much left; enemies and bombables/shootables just gone!  Of course... I then didn't have any missiles for awhile.  It really changes up how you approach things.

Of course, this also means that it can have some trouble defending you.  Yes, during a boss fight you can use it to do huge damage and clear the screen of bullets.... exactly one time.  After that, you better dodge, because you aren't using missiles to cancel any more of those shots coming your way.  Bosses have enough HP that a high-end missile blast from this guy is still only going to do so much to them, particularly late-game bosses.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 07:58:00 pm »
Of course, this also means that it can have some trouble defending you.  Yes, during a boss fight you can use it to do huge damage and clear the screen of bullets.... exactly one time.  After that, you better dodge, because you aren't using missiles to cancel any more of those shots coming your way.  Bosses have enough HP that a high-end missile blast from this guy is still only going to do so much to them, particularly late-game bosses.
It will certainly give more value to the "exchange resource X for missiles" consumables, which is nice.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 07:14:50 am »
Good to know. Are there any more specifics that can be released about how the kickstarter is going to work? :D

Hm, no idea, I sure as heck aint the one handling any of that (that'd be a disaster).  One of the others might be able to say something about that, provided there's actually something to say about it right now.  Chances are there isn't anything specific happening with it currently.  There's still a lot of design discussion going on.  Lots of things that still need deciding.  And we're all indecisive.   Or I'm just easily confused, maybe that's it.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 07:15:27 am »
It will certainly give more value to the "exchange resource X for missiles" consumables, which is nice.

Aye, this is true.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 09:51:59 am »
Yep, those totems are very much inspired by the ones in POE, actually.

Regarding the Kickstarter, we're not sure what's going on at the moment. I'll try and gather some more concrete details before commenting further as I don't want to create confusion by possibly saying something that's incorrect.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 01:26:53 pm »
Holy shit, all this stuff looks so great. Gimme, gimme!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk