Author Topic: Battleswarm Misery Mode  (Read 7273 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Battleswarm Misery Mode
« on: February 19, 2016, 12:02:03 am »
Okay!  Time for another one of these horrors from the depths of... somewhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q85cHF-v-0k

And this is an early-game boss!  :D

You're welcome.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 02:38:37 am by Misery »

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Battleswarm Misery Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 12:08:27 am »
Nope, nope, nope.  You can have it.  All of it. *hands up in the air walking way* Nope nope nope nope
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:33:41 am »
Oh man, I have to get used to Hard difficulty fast, because Misery mode looks like it's gonna be a hell of a lot of fun. Bravo sir, bravo.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:49:17 am »
Holy guacamole. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 12:59:03 am »
Nope, nope, nope.  You can have it.  All of it. *hands up in the air walking way* Nope nope nope nope

Actually not QUITE as hard as it looks; it's a little like Crystal Mother in the first phase in that it's all outward attacks (not many vectors), and the second phase, the white lines are more of a distraction than anything else... they press you into small areas but positioning yourself by distance to/from the boss is enough to dodge the blue stuff.  Just... dont move around as wildly as I tend to, is my advice to anyone that tries these.

This guy is actually a little easier than Crystal Mother is on this mode.

Also I fixed the Hard Mode bugs on the thing FINALLY.  I dunno why it took me so long to get around to doing that.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 01:01:52 am »
Did you deliberately change the red pointy bullet behavior from hard, or is hard's busted? On hard they all aim straight at you (except the first from each spawn point which flies off at random). Try playing Hard and that Misery back-to-back, I think you might find the current Hard mode is harder because the red bullets aim at you forcing you to evade far more drastically. Maybe I'm wrong, I'd have to try it in game, but that's my feeling from watching it.

Also, looks like in Misery mode stage 2 is still vastly easier than stage 1 (same as hard-mode). Honestly, Stage 2 isn't looking very misery-like. I'm pretty certain I can currently perfect stage 2, just like against the current hard Battleswarm. At first I'd say the spacing between waves of white bullets is way too generous, but maybe you just need a third attack pattern to force you to move more. Watch the 2nd stage and you see how you stay in the same 10 degree wedge the entire time? If he spit out a timed nova mine directly at you every so often, you'd have to circle around and move a lot more, which makes all the other attacks more dangerous. When you can stay still and move slow, you basically are really safe.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 01:09:11 am »
Did you deliberately change the red pointy bullet behavior from hard, or is hard's busted? On hard they all aim straight at you (except the first from each spawn point which flies off at random). Try playing Hard and that Misery back-to-back, I think you might find the current Hard mode is harder because the red bullets aim at you forcing you to evade far more drastically. Maybe I'm wrong, I'd have to try it in game, but that's my feeling from watching it.

Also, looks like in Misery mode stage 2 is still vastly easier than stage 1 (same as hard-mode). Honestly, Stage 2 isn't looking very misery-like. I'm pretty certain I can currently perfect stage 2, just like against the current hard Battleswarm. At first I'd say the spacing between waves of white bullets is way too generous, but maybe you just need a third attack pattern to force you to move more. Watch the 2nd stage and you see how you stay in the same 10 degree wedge the entire time? If he spit out a timed nova mine directly at you every so often, you'd have to circle around and move a lot more, which makes all the other attacks more dangerous. When you can stay still and move slow, you basically are really safe.

Previous Hard mode for this guy was glitched all over the place.  First pattern was a broken mess; second pattern wasnt firing.

As for stage 2 of this mode, I'd had sorta the same thought... I'll probably thicken the whole thing.  Or just make it fire the blue stuff a bit more often...  I wonder what would happen if I chopped the reload time in half...

EDIT:  Okay, cutting that in half was.... maybe going just a bit too far.   There was one other idea I'd had in mind, but it seemed just too nasty to do.  Maybe I'll do it anyway.  Anyone remember what Persistence does?  Haha...

EDIT 2: Let's pretend I didn't have that idea.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:22:27 am by Misery »

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 01:22:12 am »
That explains the hard mode. Very annoying, glad it is bugged and I'm not going insane :) .

BTW, do you have a hard-mode Mirror Mark 1 video anywhere? I swear her hard-mode stage 2 is really obnoxious and I just assume I'm missing something. Her stage 1 can be a little brutal on RNG when the purple beams bounce at a really tight angle too, but I can at least clear that stage pretty reliably on level 1. It's that stupid purple shot with that narrow spacing. So hard to evade given the volume of her other shots. Also, what's with the orange up/down shots in stage 1? The purple rear-firing burst seems like it does exactly the same job of keeping you in front of her so those orange shots seem unnecessary, and they don't really add the the aesthetics of her pattern either.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 01:23:31 am »
I dont have a video of that, but I can make one after I have my meal.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 01:55:08 am »
that looks utterly terrifying it also reminds me that I need to take a break from xenonauts and start playing this again so I don't become completely rusted.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 02:40:11 am »
Okay I made the second phase worse.  Hahaha...

The video link has been updated, have a look!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 02:56:54 am »
Also, Hearteater, here, the hard mode Mirror video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YchNnMTW68A

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 03:23:39 am »
Battleswarm: Stage 2 looks much more appropriate. I like the slow speed of that pattern, plus getting swarmed by slow moving pathing shots suites his name.

Mirror: Ok, so I just need to find the cable for my gamepad. I've got the right idea, I just can't execute it well enough on a keyboard. Think I'm going to try messing with keybinds too because I've never found a comfortable one for my walk.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 03:24:21 am »

Actually not QUITE as hard as it looks; it's a little like Crystal Mother in the first phase in that it's all outward attacks (not many vectors), and the second phase, the white lines are more of a distraction than anything else... they press you into small areas but positioning yourself by distance to/from the boss is enough to dodge the blue stuff.  Just... dont move around as wildly as I tend to, is my advice to anyone that tries these.

This guy is actually a little easier than Crystal Mother is on this mode.

Also I fixed the Hard Mode bugs on the thing FINALLY.  I dunno why it took me so long to get around to doing that.

I've pretty much said the same thing about all your videos.  It's meant to be a bit humorous, laugh and smile a bit.  :)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 05:01:52 am »
Okay!  Time for another one of these horrors from the depths of... somewhere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q85cHF-v-0k

And this is an early-game boss!  :D

You're welcome.

That's okay, it's not like I wanted to beat the game anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk