Author Topic: Bullet Hell Shot Visuals Mod  (Read 10842 times)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Bullet Hell Shot Visuals Mod
« on: March 20, 2019, 03:39:00 pm »
Hey everybody

Here's a mod I've been working on that will replace all the multi-coloured enemy shots with shots of a single purple colour, which is more akin to the colouring of purer Bullet Hell games. This should help improve shot visbility.  This mod shouldn't break saves, but switching back to the multi-coloured shot style might be fiddly, so it's advised that you back up your existing RuntimeData folder before installing.

To install you just need to extract the zip and copy the RuntimeData folder over to your Starward Rogue root directory and choose to overwrite any files. This will update your old RuntimeData folder with the required changes. I think that's about it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers! :)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Re: Bullet Hell Shot Visuals Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 06:00:36 pm »
I only spot checked a bit, but did you recolor all enemy use shots to be purple?
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:36:52 am »
I only spot checked a bit, but did you recolor all enemy use shots to be purple?

Yep! Well, kind of. I didn't recolour the shots myself. I just swapped in the existing purple shots that Blue created. A uniform colour like this is more in the Bullet Hell style, I think. We could really do with Misery's input on this, though, since that's his area of expertise. I've modded this in such a way that it would make implementation into the game as easy as possible. All that would be required is for the standard bullet entity xml to be swapped out by the new uniform bullet xml. I actually recall someone created a similar mod way back, which I think was you? I think!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 11:01:02 am »
Aye. It was me. ;)

IIRC I went with the route of just editing enemy xlm to replace all color words with purple and then fine tune with an exception list. There were a few cases where there weren't existing alt-color variants and cases where the player used enemy shots. But it was good enough*tm.

A more elegant solution would be to reference 'side' of the entity (or its parent?) and then use a shader that made it purple (or white, then purple). If that would probably work and be trivial amounts of code to transfer.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 12:12:58 pm »
Aye. It was me. ;)

I thought so! :)

A more elegant solution would be to reference 'side' of the entity (or its parent?) and then use a shader that made it purple (or white, then purple). If that would probably work and be trivial amounts of code to transfer.

Something like that would be good, yeah. We could then more easily also have the player shots one uniform colour, orange perhaps.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 02:26:19 pm »
IIRC if would be nearly "trivial" at that point to have a drop-down that simply specified the desired color for each.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 06:54:18 pm »
IIRC if would be nearly "trivial" at that point to have a drop-down that simply specified the desired color for each.

Yeah, that'd be cool. I'm not sure how we would be able to get that engine work done, though, unfortunately.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk