Author Topic: Augmented Alpha feedback  (Read 96316 times)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Augmented Alpha feedback
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2017, 11:40:38 am »
I also think the Parasite Armor is worth having as a sac item. There's currently not enough defense-oriented sac items. Suggestion: Why not focus almost entirely on 1 bonus? The Armor part gives you a massive 50% damage reduction but the Parasite part is slowly consuming you. Simple and straightforward. Outside threats are significantly less dangerous, but your own pace becomes a threat. Also, life leech items/perks suddenly become very desirable. Having the armor already start with some life leech could be nice, but it would be like giving the problem and the solution to counter it at the same time. It might be more interesting if you have to seek out the solution. But depending on the intensity of the draining effect you're aiming for, the initial vampiric headstart might be necessary. As for my DoT, I don't think it fits anywhere in there and should just be ditched. How does that sound?

We could go pure defense, yeah, and see how that works out. Probably either a 50% reduction or have it reduce all damage you take to 1. We'll maybe try 50% first, then if it needs a further boost we can make it reduce damage to 1.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2017, 07:15:08 am »
OOOOOOOKAY so my update went in.

Ended up making more than intended.  Yay for random inspiration.   What originally was supposed to be a couple of Jumpscare enemies and a boss ended up being some Jumpscares, some Fearsomes, and 2 more bosses, Javelin and Pandemonium.    That last one is easily one of the stranger patterns I've done.  But I think Javelin is the harder of the two?  I'm not sure, Pandemonium's pattern is bizarre enough that it's hard to tell just how hard it is.  A hint for that one, don't try to be too aggressive.  Back off when the need arises, which it will.  You don't want to get caught up in the maelstrom.

Now I can finally go back to test runs of all the stuff.

Screw the stupid Javelin boss though, I must have gone through like 10000 revisions of it before it was ready to go. 

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2017, 03:50:00 pm »
Now that the new testing build is out, can someone check out the DeathSentinel miniboss in the test rooms? I'm not sure whether that will make it as a miniboss. I think it's half complete, but I can't really contact Ptarth to check. If it plays pretty good as is, then I might add it as another miniboss.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2017, 05:10:05 pm »
Now that the new testing build is out, can someone check out the DeathSentinel miniboss in the test rooms? I'm not sure whether that will make it as a miniboss. I think it's half complete, but I can't really contact Ptarth to check. If it plays pretty good as is, then I might add it as another miniboss.
"X1_Miniboss_DeathSphere_Sentinel" Is that the one?

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2017, 05:16:51 pm »
"X1_Miniboss_DeathSphere_Sentinel" Is that the one?
Yeah, that should be it. The sphere boss without SFX.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2017, 05:33:37 pm »
Alright then, opinion time:

After killing it a dozen times on two difficulties, I think the patterns are really cool and the whole thing should be converted into a boss. Current Normal version being one phase and the hard version being another phase. (Hard version isn't actually harder, just different) The patterns would need to be intensified for Hard and Misery difficulties, but otherwise I think it would make an awesome 3rd or maybe 4th floor boss once converted. I don't think a miniboss encounter would do it justice.

And I guess the amount of breakables in the room was a bit much, but that's neither here nor there.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2017, 08:40:52 pm »
Alright then, opinion time:

After killing it a dozen times on two difficulties, I think the patterns are really cool and the whole thing should be converted into a boss. Current Normal version being one phase and the hard version being another phase. (Hard version isn't actually harder, just different) The patterns would need to be intensified for Hard and Misery difficulties, but otherwise I think it would make an awesome 3rd or maybe 4th floor boss once converted. I don't think a miniboss encounter would do it justice.

And I guess the amount of breakables in the room was a bit much, but that's neither here nor there.

Good feedback, thanks. If the Hard version is different enough it seems like it could work as a boss. I would have preferred it as a miniboss in terms of boosting that content, but if it seems to work better as a proper boss that's fine, too, although I was kind of seeing Sentinel and Sentry as miniboss brethren. I'll leave this for the time being while I finish up other stuff, and then take a look at a later date. Maybe in that time, Misery can check it out to see if it'd be suitable as a proper boss with the changes you recommend. Cheers!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2017, 08:41:47 am »
Okay, I'm starting on test runs here.   Gonna type these out as I encounter them...

Firstly:  More new enemies soon.  STILL have missing categories here.  Ugh.  My own fault for not paying attention to how many enemies were already in ones I was adding to. 

The enemy Ryde causes a significant hit to performance.  Too many bullets in those lines it makes.

The Sentinel thing is absolutely overboard for a miniboss.  Finally someone other than me completely overdoes something to this degree :D    Indeed, make it into a floor 3-4 boss.   Also yes too many breakables in that room.  Perhaps also give the core more HP than it currently has.  Piercing attacks will just shred this thing in it's current state.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2017, 08:36:41 pm »
Here's some feedback and suggestions before the weekend begins:

-Trickshot secondary: Tricky to use (pretty fitting considering the name), but worth having. Failure rate isn't too bad after all.

-Turrets: Sorry to insist on that one but a turret beeping when it's okay, is like a smoke detector beeping when there's nothing wrong. (3+ turrets at the same time gets very annoying) I would recommend making the turret's death sound more noticeable instead and getting rid of the beeping altogether and toning down the "taking damage" sounds so they don't cover the death sfx.

-2-Way Missile Module: I like the change of making them on-impact. They do destroy your scrap shields though. Is that intended?

-RPG secondary: Energy cost is a bit too cheap for such a badass weapon with bullet cancelling.

-Alpha Slugger (Shockgun?) secondary: Energy cost seems a bit low.

-Meteor Hammer Module: Awesome name. Magnetic Offense makes it a near-unlimited attack combo.

-Meteor Storm consumable: Instead of the usual chaotic storm, it only shoots a quick string of meteors in one direction and stops.

-Discount sac items: I willingly grabbed one in a Penumbra run, so definitely worth it now.

-Skeleton key: Can only use once on key blocks. After that the "1" key is spent and key blocks cannot be opened until another key is acquired. Other locks will still open normally though.

-Penumbra mech: With the cleaned up perk selection, this one feels great to play.

-Warhog mech: Is the starter shotgun a lot more sparkly and smokey than before?

-Eyelet Lair (challenge room): Center eyelet hard to hit with Roulette mech starting main weapon. I gave up after several minutes.

-Meridian & Rive bosses still share 2nd phase pattern.

-Pandemonium boss: If you ever wondered what Centrifuge would be like on a breezy day, now's your chance to find out! (Weird in a good way, fun to fight and not too tough on normal. Was a bit taken aback by the hitbox though)

-Burst guard enemy: The upgrade on those old enemies really surprised me, which is good.

-Charger enemy: Still think the tentacles length on those things and their turning speed especially is too much. The Charger challenge room reminded me how frustrating they are.

-SpecialFX panels: New appearances and sounds make it clear which is good or bad. Many thanks for that.

-Energy recharge panel visual/sound effect stayed forever on mech. -see attached bug report save-

-Missing health shards in rooms
CMP_regeneratingBlocks2x
CMP_Mines3x
X1_Craig_SecretStash
D18_Cake

-Missing travelporter in rooms
D18_WeaponsPipe
D18_Chalice

-X1_Craig_Treasury room: Could the cost and reward be toned down slightly to make it more accessible? (4 keys with less credits or 3 keys with less chests and credits?)

-D18_IsolatedWarp (Secret room): Cool concept, but requiring backtracking and only offering a single item choice is a bit harsh in my opinion. Would love to see the concept used in some regular rooms too, with hidden sections.

-MotherLode (Secret room): Didn't expect that. Really like it.

And done. I'm having even more fun than before with this build, so that's a good sign. :)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2017, 08:53:52 pm »
The enemy Ryde causes a significant hit to performance.  Too many bullets in those lines it makes.

I've made a couple of tweaks to that now. Should be a significant performance boost. Something like x4 ish.

The Sentinel thing is absolutely overboard for a miniboss.  Finally someone other than me completely overdoes something to this degree :D    Indeed, make it into a floor 3-4 boss.   Also yes too many breakables in that room.  Perhaps also give the core more HP than it currently has.  Piercing attacks will just shred this thing in it's current state.

Cool, I'll probably convert that to a boss then. Cheers!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2017, 11:09:20 pm »
-Charger enemy: Still think the tentacles length on those things and their turning speed especially is too much. The Charger challenge room reminded me how frustrating they are.

Would you believe that the key to dealing with them better is actually to get really close?  I suspect most wont actually try that, which is part of the point of their design, haha...

This though is why they're such an incredibly rare enemy.

Oh, and as for the bit about the Eyelet challenge room:  Yes, that one needs a change.  I went in there with that sniper weapon, and, well...... yeah it took quite some time.  I didn't exactly have much of an energy weapon to use instead.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2017, 09:43:33 am »
Would you believe that the key to dealing with them better is actually to get really close?  I suspect most wont actually try that, which is part of the point of their design, haha...

This though is why they're such an incredibly rare enemy.
Yeah, that's how I do the charger challenge. But even knowing that, here's how it went: I took one step toward it and bam, a tentacle appeared on me and insta-hit me, then I get very close and spinspinspin very fast until it dies. It works, but I'm thinking it doesn't have to be such a pain. And of course the insta-hit part always rubs me the wrong way.

While preserving the same concept, if the tentacles could appear in a fast gradual way when the charger awakens, I could dodge them. If the turning speed was less hectic, I could circle around the enemy at close range without having to spin-attack like I'm Sonic the hedgehog. :P

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2017, 03:17:05 pm »
-Missing health shards in rooms
D18_Cake

-Missing travelporter in rooms
D18_WeaponsPipe
D18_Chalice

*Peek*
Cake is part of the "Secret Free Loot" rooms and the only room in that set that has health shards is IsolatedWarp (as a kind of immediate bonus where the free item  is more involved than usual), so I don see this as a problem.
Chalice - Fixed.
Bird - Also missing warp pad, fixed.
WeaponsPipe - Fixed.

-D18_IsolatedWarp (Secret room): Cool concept, but requiring backtracking and only offering a single item choice is a bit harsh in my opinion. Would love to see the concept used in some regular rooms too, with hidden sections.

It was an idea worth testing, glad you like it. Would you rather see two or three items instead?

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2017, 05:02:14 pm »
Cake is part of the "Secret Free Loot" rooms and the only room in that set that has health shards is IsolatedWarp (as a kind of immediate bonus where the free item  is more involved than usual), so I don see this as a problem.
My bad, I thought it was made standard to give each secret room a shard, so I just wrote down every one I saw without it.

It was an idea worth testing, glad you like it. Would you rather see two or three items instead?
As long as it's more than 1 item I think it's good. It's just more fun if you have to choose an item and sacrifice the other(s).

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2017, 08:36:59 pm »
As long as it's more than 1 item I think it's good. It's just more fun if you have to choose an item and sacrifice the other(s).

Made it two, then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk