Author Topic: Whoa, this game is coming out in 2016 now? Well, it's for the best.  (Read 48340 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Re: Whoa, this game is coming out in 2016 now? Well, it's for the best.
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 11:32:15 am »
Thanks everybody. :)

In think I have been around here long and contributed enough to qualify as "knowing that betas are for the game/the company and not for the players", I think.

My main cause for bringing this up (aside from the one mentioned above) is that I know how bad it get get to (have to) go back to a codebase that as unfinished changes still lurking in various checkouts from a professional standpoint.

If there are none, or if they will get reverted when the time comes to start with a clean slate - fair enough.
Consider my request as non-existent. But if there are local changes that are still of interest to the game it is my form conviction that it would be better to get them in while there still is some contextual knowledge about what is going on.

My point was never to ask you guys to throw money at something only benefitting the current beta players.

What ever you decide, its good with me :).

You know, I apologize -- I in particular really should have given you the benefit of the doubt on that.  Goodness knows you've earned it.  Sorry about that!

Well, as an update on November Doom, the Rock Paper Shotgun community has already given up on the Star Wars Battlefront game via its beta. The vocal types over there are expecting it to fizzle out in a month, and I get the sense from their complaints that the doom and gloom they're expecting isn't far off. Then again, it's stripped down model could appeal to people who breath Star Wars and live nothing but Twitch.

That's a bummer, actually.  But the system requirements on that thing for the minimum are kind of nuts.  I've been trying to mostly game on my laptop so that I can get away from my desktop when I'm not working.  I guess a 1GB card is anemic these days, but jeez.

More pertinent though, I discovered Steredenn on Steam the other day and thought to myself 'If this had some persistent elements, I'd actually buy it.' So kudos on you for predicting that. Also, easy source to crib some design notes from something close but not quite?

Yeah, I saw that too.  For the record that's really not my sort of game and not the sort of thing that we're making here.  That's way more like Rygar from what I can tell, and that was never anything I got into.  My favorite SHMUP was Tyrian.

But really, I need to stop saying that word I think, because this is really more of a dual-stick-shooter than a SHMUP.  It has SHMUP elements, but it's more of a dual-stick shooter in a roguelike structure, with shmup-style enemy patterns.  Of course playable with keyboard and mouse as well.
Don't you worry about that.
All is good :).
Looking forward to both SBER and the interim venture!
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 12:04:05 pm »
the one I think I'm looking forward to is coming back to this game in months and being able to see it from the perspective of a new player better than at the moment

I'm hoping to be able to get some degree of this effect myself, too.  Putting it as much out of my mind as possible will really help me to see it as an outsider, which should be good as I then get back deep inside it.  We'll see if that span is long enough for that to happen or not, but that definitely does happen to me with games I've made after a while.

also more relevantly I have a question I've been reading in the life part of the forum and apparently your in the middle of a big war and I was wonder what/who exactly is waging this war? are these new race or already established races? or is that sort of thing being completely ignored right now?.

Well, we're billions or trillions of years into the future from TLF, and far far far after SBR as well.  So it's not really anyone we know, I don't think.  There are a few potential interesting ideas we have, but mostly I want to not make that the focus of what's going on.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 12:20:32 pm »
the one I think I'm looking forward to is coming back to this game in months and being able to see it from the perspective of a new player better than at the moment

I'm hoping to be able to get some degree of this effect myself, too.  Putting it as much out of my mind as possible will really help me to see it as an outsider, which should be good as I then get back deep inside it.  We'll see if that span is long enough for that to happen or not, but that definitely does happen to me with games I've made after a while.

also more relevantly I have a question I've been reading in the life part of the forum and apparently your in the middle of a big war and I was wonder what/who exactly is waging this war? are these new race or already established races? or is that sort of thing being completely ignored right now?.

Well, we're billions or trillions of years into the future from TLF, and far far far after SBR as well.  So it's not really anyone we know, I don't think.  There are a few potential interesting ideas we have, but mostly I want to not make that the focus of what's going on.
I understand but that's incredibly interesting to me I mean holy shit billions of years after?! I have to assume that the hydral is like a lobster then and practically immortal also I'm actually really glad that it won't be any one I know if it was like stars then it would feel like fan service and there's only a few races were it would make even feasible séance to be a threat to you(ie thoraxians zenith and spire although the last 2 wouldn't likely care about something as trivial in their eyes as a war any way) also a question that's fairly random and that I don't think you'll even really be able to answer at this point in time is are the obscura ever going to pop up again in a game/expansion
ps just had a mad idea what if they were introduced as faction in ai war? would it work at all? would they even fit in any way to the game? I have no idea so I thought I would ask you since I obviously haven't really played the game at all?
c.r

Offline Tormodino

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 12:22:40 pm »
Postponing the release is a very good idea. Actually getting the systems in this game balanced and working together is not a two month job.
I want this game to be as good as it can be, but it requires more minerals.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 12:27:58 pm »
are the obscura ever going to pop up again in a game/expansion
Not the way you'd expect but yes.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2015, 12:32:28 pm »
I might be superficially imagining things here but it sounds like you know something I don't?. (perhaps information from Chris?)
c.r

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2015, 12:35:15 pm »
I might be superficially imagining things here but it sounds like you know something I don't?. (perhaps information from Chris?)

Yep, he's intimately involved with writing a lot of things for the lore with SBR, and some in TLF now, and actually some in the new game now, too.

In terms of them being immortal: yep.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2015, 12:39:37 pm »

Yep, he's intimately involved with writing a lot of things for the lore with SBR, and some in TLF now, and actually some in the new game now, too.

well that's pretty interesting and it wasn't about the obscura being immortal I meant the hydral I mean since the obscura are particle based I assume they don't even have a life cycle in the typical séance.
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2015, 12:55:11 pm »

Well that too but I was more paraphrasing your response when I asked six months ago.  :D

And yeah, Chris has said that the Hydral are functionally immortal unless someone kills them.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2015, 01:02:24 pm »
now I'm wondering what the hell the hydrals been doing between life and tlf which hopefully stars(when it gets let out of he basement and hopefully finished) will answer.
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2015, 01:10:00 pm »
now I'm wondering what the hell the hydrals been doing between life and tlf which hopefully stars(when it gets let out of he basement and hopefully finished) will answer.
No Hydral in Stars Beyond Reach, except the backstory. The Last Hydral is off doing its own thing which mostly involves him not dying until the interim game.  :D I actually have no idea whether anything that happened between TLF and the new game will be important to the new game.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2015, 01:15:42 pm »
No Hydral in Stars Beyond Reach, except the backstory. The Last Hydral is off doing its own thing which mostly involves him not dying until the interim game.  :D I actually have no idea whether anything that happened between TLF and the new game will be important to the new game.
yea that's what I meant I'm pretty sure the planet would nuke the hydral out of orbit if he even came near any way I doubt the planet would want some one that powerful interfering with things also enoughour question I think you'll be able is I was just wondering what exactly is the hydral doing in the middle of this war in the first place? rather manipulating and the back stabbing the races involved via politics and so on I assume there's some reason why?.
c.r

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2015, 01:26:40 pm »
Well, as an update on November Doom, the Rock Paper Shotgun community has already given up on the Star Wars Battlefront game via its beta. The vocal types over there are expecting it to fizzle out in a month, and I get the sense from their complaints that the doom and gloom they're expecting isn't far off. Then again, it's stripped down model could appeal to people who breath Star Wars and live nothing but Twitch.

That's a bummer, actually.  But the system requirements on that thing for the minimum are kind of nuts.  I've been trying to mostly game on my laptop so that I can get away from my desktop when I'm not working.  I guess a 1GB card is anemic these days, but jeez.
And its claiming 40 GB of space from the sys requirements, oi. Shadow of Mordor took up as much space for a lot more than some nice star wars multiplayer shenanigans, I'm not sure what they're doing with it all here.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2015, 01:35:08 pm »
4. The blacking out and all that stuff is just a matter of accumulated stress more than anything else.  It's not any one thing, it's just a matter of too long a period of too much intensity on one thing.  I should be back in good form after the hiatus, and people don't need to worry about my health.  If there's something amiss, I'll do something to try to address that.  I have an anxiety disorder as well as severe PTSD (dating back decades), and some of that gets triggered sometimes around releases.  Therapy and medication have been helping over the last years, although some of the medication comes with nasty side effects.  I think the blacking out was related partly to one of those that I started taking in March and have stopped taking in the last week.  We'll see.  Originally I got on that because I was having low-grade panic attacks literally all day every day, and that solved that issue.  But lots of other problems went with.  EMDR did work pretty well for some of the stuff, but I'm giving neurofeedback a shot now.  We shall see.  Anyway, the point is a lot of that has absolutely nothing to do with testers or specific feedback, and I try not to be a pansy about how I receive news I don't want to hear.  It's important to be able to take criticism, and if I ever hit a point where I'm dissuading people from "giving it to me straight," I'm only doing myself and the games a disservice in the end.
As someone else who suffers from PTSD and chronic stress/anxiety symptoms on a daily basis, I definitely understand what you're going through.

Sometimes the best solution is to just put your life on hold and deal with your own mental and emotional health, but unfortunately that doesn't seem like much of an option for you. Sadly, sometimes these mental problems boil under the surface for countless years, and by the time they have been recognized, one already has too many life responsibilities to adequately address them in a relaxed, stress-free environment.

Just wanted to let you know that you're not the only person in the forums suffering through this.

Buddhist philosophy/psychology has been one of the major motivating factors that has allowed me to survive through this daily trauma, and one thing it teaches is that the ego is the source of all our problems. You've made a point several times in the last couple days that you were beginning to attach your own self-worth to the outcome of this game, and it's good that you recognize the danger of that tendency.

I wish you the best Chris, take care of yourself.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2015, 01:52:08 pm »

And its claiming 40 GB of space from the sys requirements, oi. Shadow of Mordor took up as much space for a lot more than some nice star wars multiplayer shenanigans, I'm not sure what they're doing with it all here.
Making consoles the lead platform and doing zero PC optimization, duh.  ::) I'm not even particularly upset since EA knows they're cutting off the majority of the PC audience by staying Origin exclusive, but it's kinda too bad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk