Author Topic: We need more writers for small things! Game knowledge not required. updated 8/27  (Read 32900 times)

Offline Peons

• Newbie Mark II
I wrote a small set of Zenith ones, I'm not sure if they are what you are looking for. I figured the Zenith when pissed off would go and make weird contraptions or things would just "get weird". So some of them have small bonuses, others have bad bonuses. If they look ok I'll write some more tonight.

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
ptarth, do you mind if I edit some of what you wrote for the Peltians? The racial notes say that they're supposed to talk like kids, not adults. Need to loosen up with them!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
@Peons: I definitely like what you have written, although it is extremely wordy.  That could be a nice trait for the Zenith in terms of them being long-form and thoughtful, but I wouldn't want it for any other race, and that's pushing the patience of what the player can tolerate (and what can fit in the allotted screen box) a bit already.  Keeping these closer to tweet-length or a bit more is a good idea.  But conceptually those are great.

@Watashiwa: One thing to remember is that these are all written in the voice of the computer, speaking in kind of a dry fashion.  Granted, he's going to change his manner some based on who he is talking TO, so having him reference kisses and boo boos is pretty hilarious and works well for me.  But he shouldn't be talking like a kid -- he should be talking TO a kid, although let's not go too completely overboard with it.  Moderation should serve that really well, and the kisses and boo boos bit had me really laughing.

Anyhow, there are other places where the races directly speak, but not on this spreadsheet.  Here the computer narrator is talking about what they are doing.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.

@Watashiwa: One thing to remember is that these are all written in the voice of the computer, speaking in kind of a dry fashion.  Granted, he's going to change his manner some based on who he is talking TO, so having him reference kisses and boo boos is pretty hilarious and works well for me.  But he shouldn't be talking like a kid -- he should be talking TO a kid, although let's not go too completely overboard with it.  Moderation should serve that really well, and the kisses and boo boos bit had me really laughing.

Anyhow, there are other places where the races directly speak, but not on this spreadsheet.  Here the computer narrator is talking about what they are doing.
I admit I find it rather interesting that a race with a childish mind-set would be the only race to resort to suicide bombing in their wars(in the last federation for those who don't when they fight a war with enougher race in that game usually their chief method is suicide bombing as in literally firing themselves of in pods at a planet)
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky

You know, I don't think I knew this. Thanks for the heads up Chris.

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
I'm following a strategy of write down a lot of rubbish and let Chris sort it out (adding rows as necessary). I'd advocate others having a similar policies thus freeing us from having to edit and allowing multiple interpretations of Racial Tendencies. It also encourages the less brave to write something in without worrying about it taking up a "good" idea slot. Hence beyond correcting grammar and sentence structure, I'd suggest duplicating the line and making an alternate version, and then hand it over to Chris while looking the other way.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:42:50 pm by ptarth »
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Krolin Dissidents are the kinda amusing answer to all their problems, it sounds like. :)

Offline Peons

• Newbie Mark II
I wrote a few more, tried to keep em shorter. Got my friend that I play AI War with to write a few as well, he chose zenith as well apparently.

Ptarth: CitizenAnger   Skylaxians   HistoryMuseum   Activities have changed displays in the History Museum to better reflect the true events of history. Worst yet, the citizens like the new exhibits more.   ptarth

Did you maybe mean Activists?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Thanks, as always, guys!

I'm following a strategy of write down a lot of rubbish and let Chris sort it out (adding rows as necessary). I'd advocate others having a similar policies thus freeing us from having to edit and allowing multiple interpretations of Racial Tendencies. It also encourages the less brave to write something in without worrying about it taking up a "good" idea slot. Hence beyond correcting grammar and sentence structure, I'd suggest duplicating the line and making an alternate version, and then hand it over to Chris while looking the other way.

I absolutely agree with this.  Also, there are some things that people have written that are a bit unsuitable for the place that they were put, BUT that would work fabulously in some other area that I haven't even thought of before then, or that I haven't fully specced out yet, or whatever.  So it's definitely good having a large volume of stuff to be sure.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
The re-definitions of buildings, and reorganization of them, is now complete here, just FYI: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l1zPgVQZNLXbGoc9IwWWyaCxYCxajdvun9mVF6HYaTM/edit#gid=202978034

Mostly the stuff you would have been messing with before has not been altered (aside from being renamed and possibly shifted between categories), but there are many new things.  There are some spoilers (if you want to call it that) for upcoming features in the near future, too. :)

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
I wrote a few more, tried to keep em shorter. Got my friend that I play AI War with to write a few as well, he chose zenith as well apparently.

Ptarth: CitizenAnger   Skylaxians   HistoryMuseum   Activities have changed displays in the History Museum to better reflect the true events of history. Worst yet, the citizens like the new exhibits more.   ptarth

Did you maybe mean Activists?

Yes. If it is something that is blatantly wrong like that go ahead and fix it on my account. Thanks for the catch.

Chris & Co are going to have to do a lot of editing to all of the prompts to fix grammar, frequency, building numbers, referents and such. Setting them up with an idea and then letting them focus on mechanical and placement applications is the best we can probably do.

If SBRv 3.0 runs like SBR v1.0, then I'm going to be seeing a citizens are unhappy message every turn. I think we are going to need many, many more messages than the current list.

Dissidents are suspected.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Histidine

Tried my hand at doing a few of the Skylaxian CitizenStupidity ones, and one for the Fenyn.

... Er, the stuff about a spontaneous mass orgy isn't too ribald, is it?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Haha, they look great.  Orgy itself is not a word I'd want to use, and I'd like to overall keep this pretty PG.  But sometimes being opaque about something is funnier than just saying it outright, and I love the idea.  I've been talking about how much the Peltians breed like rabbits in various opaque terms for quite a while now.  I shifted your wording to be "A spontaneous "spirit of nature" mass... birth rate increase... has broken out at the park."

I like the idea of the computer coming to tell you this, almost kind of blushing.

Offline Peons

• Newbie Mark II
On a side note, any chance myself and my friend Mission can get an early beta invite? I know you've been wanting to hold off on the next beta wave because you're still trying to implement these events but being able to understand some of the existing game mechanics might help a bit more. As it stands I've just been leaving generic instructions in for what I feel the event would do to the player.

Offline Tolc

• Full Member Mark II
Cool stuff so far. I'll see whether inspiration hits me over the next few days. My contributions might need some grammar (and phrasing) checking, though, as English is not my mother language.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk