Author Topic: Independents  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Rogan12345

• Newbie Mark II
Independents
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:01:31 pm »
In almost every 4X game I've play (Even the Civ games) I feel like there's never enough going on in the terms of "outside the major governments". Like for example in the Civ series barbarians are the only thing that is not faction authorized and late game they stop showing up at all. Or how about trade? Independent traders are usually how governments form from the beginning. Now I'm not asking for anything like ' A trader becomes so powerful he founds his empire" no. I'm just asking for their to be more... "life".
So what I'm asking is for Independent things to play more of a role in the game even if it's a little it still would be cool to just see how the world forms for te clashes of both Independents and Factions.
I'm praying the Specter might be used in this way.
Thank you for reading my idea. :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:10:25 pm by Rogan12345 »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Independents
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:19:58 pm »
Sure thing. :)

I think what you'll find is that the nature of the relationships between the factions is a bit different than usual thanks to the presence of the Specter, and just in general because of the game design's focus.  I don't want to get too much into that since we are not even into the prototype for that part of the game yet and I have to make sure it's actually fun first, but in terms of making sure it feels like the world is alive, that is a big goal of mine.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Rogan12345

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 07:46:16 pm »
GREAT. Looking forward to this Game :) :) :) :)

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 02:33:45 pm »
Hmm, maybe this is a way draconians or skelebots could do a cameo xP

Seriously though, I really need to get off my butt and unlock draconians since Internet has no pictures of them <_< I need to find out what they look like in Valley without wind...

Offline Gemzo

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 02:48:33 pm »
Hmm, maybe this is a way draconians or skelebots could do a cameo xP

Seriously though, I really need to get off my butt and unlock draconians since Internet has no pictures of them <_< I need to find out what they look like in Valley without wind...
You don't want to know how long it took me to unlock them. I was having a lot of trouble succeeding the rescue missions for them since I was playing on TCO difficulty. I still can't get the song out of my head to this day, but at least it's one of my favorite songs from that game.

At one point I got desperate enough to try this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=66956612
That was before they immobilized enemies, I believe. So just damage.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:56:10 pm by Gemzo »

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 01:14:33 pm »
Distant Worlds: Universe may be what you're looking for, that has pirates as pretty much factions and even allows them to found an empire if they get strong enough.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 02:31:56 pm »
Distant Worlds: Universe may be what you're looking for, that has pirates as pretty much factions and even allows them to found an empire if they get strong enough.

As someone who has played that game, they can't become empires <_< Pirate factions play by different rules and when you play as pirates you are outright told that you should keep empires weak as long as possible if you don't want to lose since pirate factions are weaker than empires. When you play as pirate faction(since Distant Worlds is singleplayer game), you are ahead of empires since they haven't discovered space travel yet or something.. I might have forgotten few details, its been while since last time I played

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 02:47:32 pm »
Pirates can build a wonder structure that allows them access to the same production methods as empires.

Offline MaskityMask

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 02:53:27 pm »
Pirates can build a wonder structure that allows them access to the same production methods as empires.

Ah, ok, I assume that is sort of late game thing? Can it be done by ai when you aren't playing as pirates?

Offline KDR_11k

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:06:54 pm »

Ah, ok, I assume that is sort of late game thing? Can it be done by ai when you aren't playing as pirates?

Dunno, I only saw it in the manual.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk