Author Topic: Skyward Collapse Teaser 1  (Read 26634 times)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Skyward Collapse Teaser 1
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2013, 10:38:09 am »
The map is basically evolving as you play, so every one is way different by the time you're done.  Even after just a handful of turns, they tend to be pretty different for me. (Chris at Arcen) 

This sounds totally awesome!! And way different than anything i have ever had a game do before, but i haven't played them all, so maybe i missed something, but this sounds very cool!  :)

I am very, very much looking forward to getting this! 

-Teal

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2013, 01:15:16 pm »
Cheers Teal! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2013, 01:21:38 pm »
I like the looks quite a bit. I will agree with the couple people around here, I do not think I have ever seen a game with this style of gameplay.

Is there going to be multiple tilesets? Or is it all grass tile types.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2013, 01:29:28 pm »
I like the looks quite a bit. I will agree with the couple people around here, I do not think I have ever seen a game with this style of gameplay.

Is there going to be multiple tilesets? Or is it all grass tile types.

We have a few other types of tiles planned, mountains, forest, swamp. We just didn't have the art for any of them done yet, so we didn't include them in the screenshot. :)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2013, 05:03:29 pm »
I know this sounds totally stupid, but was thinking one of these games these days is going to hit like Terraria types of numbers, maybe even Skyward Collapse and was thinking that could really be fantastic.
I noticed you really starting to do different kinds of games, well different than you have in the past and was hoping perhaps one of the new ones down the line, later this year? Could be small and like a build and craft type game,  but maybe AVWW1 was really that game already.
Anyway, I guess because i really get into the build and craft types of games its close to my heart, but anyway, just an idea! Just remember to keep it small and streamlined,  :) 

-Teal

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2013, 05:36:47 pm »
Cheers! I think build and craft has been done to death and right now I don't have any ideas that would be worth a new entry into that genre. But I find the genre very interesting, so if there was something that sparked an idea where we thought we had something new, then maybe.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2013, 06:09:14 pm »
Cheers! I think build and craft has been done to death and right now I don't have any ideas that would be worth a new entry into that genre. But I find the genre very interesting, so if there was something that sparked an idea where we thought we had something new, then maybe.

Well, Starbound is being Space Terraria, maybe set it 100% Underwater, where you risk flooding your base if you leave all the hatch doors open!

Don't forget the evil sharks and random Submarines that lurk about! And what's this? Dug too far and woke up Cthulu? INSTANT GAME OVER!

Don't forget the fact that you can have NPCs in your Underwater City, but if there is not enough food or they are unhappy, a revolt might break out! But if they are happy, they can aid you in getting supplies, growing a farm in your water dome or even helping you dig to the Ocean Floor to unlock the mystery of the ocean blue.

Will you be able to create your own Rapture or will it end up looking like the Ruins of Atlantis?

...I have tons of ideas for tons of games!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2013, 07:28:01 pm »
Sim City ish at the bottom of the sea?

Life is short. Have fun.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2013, 07:32:16 pm »
So far I'm thinking you should really ham up how god like you really are in this game. That is a niche that is not very often scratched. Play on as you are a war like god or something, so as to emphasize combat, but overall give the vibe you are a god with a populace that can only be guided.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2013, 07:40:53 pm »
So far I'm thinking you should really ham up how god like you really are in this game. That is a niche that is not very often scratched. Play on as you are a war like god or something, so as to emphasize combat, but overall give the vibe you are a god with a populace that can only be guided.

I actually had an idea of how to get that across just today, but I'm waiting to hear back from a certain third party before I'll know if we can really do this.  I'm excited about the prospects of what we'll be able to do along those very lines if this collaboration works out, though. :)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2013, 07:42:55 pm »

Well, Starbound is being Space Terraria, maybe set it 100% Underwater, where you risk flooding your base if you leave all the hatch doors open!

Don't forget the evil sharks and random Submarines that lurk about! And what's this? Dug too far and woke up Cthulu? INSTANT GAME OVER!

Don't forget the fact that you can have NPCs in your Underwater City, but if there is not enough food or they are unhappy, a revolt might break out! But if they are happy, they can aid you in getting supplies, growing a farm in your water dome or even helping you dig to the Ocean Floor to unlock the mystery of the ocean blue.

Will you be able to create your own Rapture or will it end up looking like the Ruins of Atlantis?

...I have tons of ideas for tons of games!

Mouldy,

You are like an idea machine all by yourself!!!   :)  If i ever could get that rpg game maker to work for me, then we could make a million games... (well... hmmm... some reasonable facsimile... :)  like one or two... :)  Anyway, we would have to re-invent all the game ideas we have as rpg's  :)  (just one small detraction from all the rts's and animated novels and explorer and craft and build types of game ideas we have, etc.... all have to be redone as rpg's)  :) 

You know... this all seems like sooooooo much work... and my game probably wouldn't be half as good as i hope it would...

which means instead of giving my game away for free i would probably have to pay someone to take it...
Sooooo.... you know I was thinking of you know, like chef school or something? Or maybe like fashion retail? Or maybe like pastry baking... which seems like a really in demand type of job, you know, or maybe even like municipal architecture... which sounds sooooo much easier....   :) 

Anyway, so much for my short-short lived dream of game development.  :)
The world needs more fashion retail clerks anyway, right?   :) And i could get a discount on top of that!!  Now seriously, games are cool, but clothes!!  Clothes are IT!  :)

(tongue in cheek) -Teal

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:46:25 pm by Teal_Blue »

Offline MouldyK

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2013, 04:49:03 am »
Sim City ish at the bottom of the sea?

It would be similar to that, except more about keeping a small populace happy in a Terraria-Like plane of existance. You'd probably have at most 100 people to look after, each requiring their own room and purpose in the city.

For example, each of the people will arrive with an ambition, it may be small like they want to have a room made of glass for example, or it may be larger, like they want to work in the Garden area. They problem is: You already have 3 people working in the Garden, so should you expand it (each 10 spaces accross the floor grants the ability to have another worker in the area) or should you move one of the other guys to another room...or to the Ocean Floor...?

There is so much to expand on this feature, such as each person have a different skill rank for each job sector, which might lead to bad results, such as your Skill Rank 9 Scientist wanting to be a medic, when his skill there is only Rank 1. Do you make him unhappy and make him do good Science, or do you make him go into the Medical Center and wait a long time to build up his skills happily (and risk the towns people not being treated right).

Started with Sea Terraria...made it about city building...added some Crusader Kings 2 Ambitions in there to give people more life.

Or in Teal_Blue's Idea, it could be an Open-World RPG! With fetch quests...at the bottom of the sea! :D

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2013, 05:12:18 pm »
Can you guys take that discussion to OT please?
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2013, 05:21:05 pm »

I actually had an idea of how to get that across just today, but I'm waiting to hear back from a certain third party before I'll know if we can really do this.  I'm excited about the prospects of what we'll be able to do along those very lines if this collaboration works out, though. :)

I understand. I hope they understand that you are doing with saying "my religion is better" or anything, but rather "you are my pions, and I command you, but you still have weird thing called free will"
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline LayZboy

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2013, 10:49:06 pm »
So basically you're god who feeds on the souls of man, which is why you want them to be locked in war forever so you can eat more souls.

That's the gist right?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk