Author Topic: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.950  (Read 13733 times)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Re: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.950
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 12:00:43 pm »
The neatness is so I can tell at a glance what the towns have.  I like to leave 5 tiles for military stuff.  And I had more military than I wanted just because I needed to meet the 5k score gate (and you see how that went). 

I know we all played differently and you can really see just from the three of us, where our opinions come from (maybe).

Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 12:20:19 pm »
@chemical_art:  Thanks, as usual, for your notes.  Having the "I barely give this a chance" perspective is actually really useful (if sometimes frustrating. ;)).  It's a great litmus test for parts of the larger market, and certainly a number of reviewers.  General changes from your notes:

* Updated the tooltips on most of the resources in order to make them more clear in terms of what their ultimate purpose is for.

* Updated the "Spend All 9 Of The Blue Faction's Action Points" tutorial step to make it more clear that red and blue are more diverse in terms of their resource requirements than was previously hinted.

* Updated the "Spend All 9 Of The Blue Faction's Action Points" tutorial step to have a tip that says:
** Now might be a good time to save your game if you want to try out different setups and then see how the first combat rounds play out.

In terms of an "undo" button, that's something that I do plan to attempt, but I've not had time yet.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 01:11:15 pm »
Having the "I barely give this a chance" perspective is actually really useful (if sometimes frustrating. ;)).  It's a great litmus test for parts of the larger market, and certainly a number of reviewers.

Having some midcore new blood get their eyes on the game at this stage would do the game a world of good I think, before release. Maybe a little too late for that, though. Also, I'm not sure where you would get those testers from at this stage. You'll probably get this kind of feedback soon after launch, though. 

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »
Having the "I barely give this a chance" perspective is actually really useful (if sometimes frustrating. ;)).  It's a great litmus test for parts of the larger market, and certainly a number of reviewers.

Having some midcore new blood get their eyes on the game at this stage would do the game a world of good I think, before release. Maybe a little too late for that, though. Also, I'm not sure where you would get those testers from at this stage. You'll probably get this kind of feedback soon after launch, though.

Yep, bingo.  Where to find them is one of the bigger problems.  But we've also been using our own outlying staff and friends and family for first impressions at least.  Pablo is more of a midcore for instance, and has been so busy composing that he wasn't terribly familiar with the game's specifics.  So we've been doing that sort of thing, and results have been positive.  This was prior to the last two releases, but the last two have only made things easier and clearer, so I'm not worried about that aspect of them.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 01:37:49 pm »
Yep, bingo.  Where to find them is one of the bigger problems.  But we've also been using our own outlying staff and friends and family for first impressions at least.  Pablo is more of a midcore for instance, and has been so busy composing that he wasn't terribly familiar with the game's specifics.  So we've been doing that sort of thing, and results have been positive.  This was prior to the last two releases, but the last two have only made things easier and clearer, so I'm not worried about that aspect of them.

That sort of thing should definitely help a lot. Hey, maybe you could issue a last minute call to everyone that signed up for testing saying that the game is due to be released soon, thanks for all your help so far, and if you could provide any last minute feedback on what is pretty much the complete game, that'd be great. You might attract back a few of the testers who lost track of the process for a bit and get a day or so of fresher testing. A last call to arms if you will.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:41 pm »

That sort of thing should definitely help a lot. Hey, maybe you could issue a last minute call to everyone that signed up for testing saying that the game is due to be released soon, thanks for all your help so far, and if you could provide any last minute feedback on what is pretty much the complete game, that'd be great. You might attract back a few of the testers who lost track of the process for a bit and get a day or so of fresher testing. A last call to arms if you will.

That is actually a super good idea.  I'll get Josh right on that, as he has the list. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk