Author Topic: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.906  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
Re: Skyward Collapse Alpha 0.906
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:40 am »
Basically, you build a town.  Build a line of swamps or fields or whatever straight back from the town.  Build the next town.  Repeat.  Nothing can touch those outlying towns.

OK. Seems hard to believe based on my most recent games. They just seem so chaotic that I'd imagine Siege bandits would pop up and trounce those outlying towns. Not saying your wrong, though, I'm saying that you're absolutely right, it's just that my impression of what would happen in the game is wrong. Dammnit, I'd really like to test this for myself, to get it into my thick head. Oh, well.

It's actually quite a bit more freedom than you think, I'm positive.  However, the interface is frankly bad at tell you your options, so I understand why you feel the way you do.

Maybe it is just an interface thing then. Look forward to testing the new one.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 10:43:13 am »
Basically, you build a town.  Build a line of swamps or fields or whatever straight back from the town.  Build the next town.  Repeat.  Nothing can touch those outlying towns.

OK. Seems hard to believe based on my most recent games. They just seem so chaotic that I'd imagine Siege bandits would pop up and trounce those outlying towns. Not saying your wrong, though, I'm saying that you're absolutely right, it's just that my impression of what would happen in the game is wrong. Dammnit, I'd really like to test this for myself, to get it into my thick head. Oh, well.

Even if a bandit did pop up in a bad spot, the backyard towns were not really in danger. The fact is you can build out the town far far faster than the bandit could kill it, and then just extend out and work on the next town while the other was being chipped away at. If you wanted to slow the bandit down (which wasn't really necessary), you could just fill it with towers.

Maybe it is just an interface thing then. Look forward to testing the new one.

I do think the town placement is more of an "interface problem" than a "rule problem".

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 10:50:01 am »
Even if a bandit did pop up in a bad spot, the backyard towns were not really in danger. The fact is you can build out the town far far faster than the bandit could kill it, and then just extend out and work on the next town while the other was being chipped away at. If you wanted to slow the bandit down (which wasn't really necessary), you could just fill it with towers.

Alright, I'm convinced that the rule is for the overall good of the game, then.

I do think the town placement is more of an "interface problem" than a "rule problem".

Let's hope so. Seems likely.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 05:09:45 pm »
Pulled the middle ss since it was pointless.  Check the tile placement TT in the remaining ss.  I moved the tile one spot and the TT changes.  That shouldn't happen.

I'm not sure I follow what the issue is here.  Can you elaborate?  I opened the save, but it looks different from your ss.  The other issue with overspending I have corrected; thanks.
Sorry about that.  The ss and and the saves are two different issues.  Check the tooltips in the ss.  It's the TC placement TT.  If I move it one square, the information goes away (the tooltip changes at 8 squares distance).  I don't think the requirements portion of the tt should be disappearing.  It could just be me though.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2013, 05:18:23 pm »
Pulled the middle ss since it was pointless.  Check the tile placement TT in the remaining ss.  I moved the tile one spot and the TT changes.  That shouldn't happen.

I'm not sure I follow what the issue is here.  Can you elaborate?  I opened the save, but it looks different from your ss.  The other issue with overspending I have corrected; thanks.
Sorry about that.  The ss and and the saves are two different issues.  Check the tooltips in the ss.  It's the TC placement TT.  If I move it one square, the information goes away (the tooltip changes at 8 squares distance).  I don't think the requirements portion of the tt should be disappearing.  It could just be me though.

Ah, gotcha.  Well, I made tons of changes to that in the yet-to-be-released version anyhow, so most likely that is fixed.  I just was testing this a bunch and it was fine.

The requirements do disappear when you are no longer in violation of them, I will say that, though.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2013, 05:24:47 pm »
I guess it's just me then.  I guess it was a bit more jarring than anything, your watching the tt intently because you want to see what you need to do to place it, then, poof! it all just goes away.
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2013, 06:33:50 pm »
Check the next version, you'll like it much better when that comes out. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 06:36:58 pm »
Check the next version, you'll like it much better when that comes out. :)
Patiently (not really) waiting.  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk