Author Topic: Contest! Help name the world of Skyward Collapse.  (Read 29300 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Contest! Help name the world of Skyward Collapse.
« on: April 02, 2013, 01:52:04 pm »
Okay, so we've not really shared much about the game yet at all, but we're already running a contest!?  Well, yeah -- before we go live with more details, one of the things we want to come up with is a name for the fantasy world in which this is set.  Naming things is one of my favorite things to do, but I've named a lot of stuff lately and I'm running on empty when it comes to great place names.  So I thought I'd do a contest for this rather than beating my head on a wall! ;)

Prize
We'll thank you in the credits, and you'll get a free copy of the game as well as guaranteed access into the private alpha.

Winning Conditions
To win, we have to pick your specific world name, or we have to come up with something slightly different based on the world name you specified as a direct catalyst.  This isn't a zero-sum game: if several people are involved in refining a specific world name into a final name that we use, everyone involved gets the prize.  So don't be afraid to help improve other people's ideas!  On the other hand, it's possible that if we come up with the best idea internally, and it's not based on anything anyone else said, nobody would get the prize in that case.  But honestly I don't see that happening.

Contest Details
The rules are simple: we need a one-word place name for a fantasy world in which this game is set.  We'll be choosing this at our own discretion based on our own tastes, rather than there being a public poll.  Though obviously we'll read any feedback that people post on the various names.

More details on the world in question: It's the year 1600 in the fictional world of <blank>.  Two civilizations based on the Norse and the Ancient Greeks rule over most of the medieval-style countryside.  They are kind of at war, but it's more of a matter of various sub-tribes battling it out on a local level rather than some large-scale armed conflict.  Mythology and the gods are alive and well, in both the sense of the Greek Mythology and Norse Mythology. 

A proper name for this world would have nothing to do with Greeks or the Norse, however, as eventually the world may be expanded through expansions to include other civilizations in a similar manner (if the game proves popular).

Oh, and the world is basically a floating island in the sky, that gets assembled by The Creator (that's you) from bits and pieces of the planet far below, which fly upwards to join the rest of the floating mass in the sky where people actually live.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 10:16:52 am by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Re: Contest! Help name the world of Skyward Collapse.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 01:52:26 pm »
My first two ideas, neither of which I'm in love with but are an ok start:

Arcana
Cratonia
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:18:12 pm »
Nimbusola

Volaria

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 02:46:06 pm »
Nimbusola

A bit tongue-twistery, and I'm not generally a fan of place names that start with N just because of how they can wind up sounding negative.  Though that's not a hard and fast thing, because it can also just sound ancient and powerful, like Nurmengard.  Despite what that one is (a fictional prison), it doesn't sound inherently evil to me.

Volaria

This one I like a lot more, though I think the middle phoneme is a little on the weak side.  Vo--ria is a pretty cool construct, though.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 02:52:20 pm »
Volcan.

;)

I'm a terrible namer, don't listen to me.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 02:54:21 pm »
Volcan.

As much as I like this name, it's only one letter change from a world in a well-known sci-fi universe. :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 02:55:12 pm »
Baconia.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 02:57:52 pm »
Druidia
Planet
Earth
Terra
Firmament

whatever it is, please let's not have any hyphens or apostrophes in the name. bonus points if it doesn't end in "a."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »
Arcana
Name of an SNES game, fyi.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 02:59:26 pm »
Cascade.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 03:00:17 pm »
Bacongard.

Baconheim.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 03:04:00 pm »
whatever it is, please let's not have any hyphens or apostrophes in the name. bonus points if it doesn't end in "a."

How about exclamation points? :)

The name of one of my D&D characters is Thk!a, and for some reason, no one else is willing to say the name :)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 03:08:16 pm »
How about exclamation points? :)
Bacon!

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 03:09:15 pm »
I am fairly sure the ! is for a throat click, as in some tribe traditions.

I think we should introduce this into the German lexicon.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Faulty Logic

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Bane of the AI
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 03:10:48 pm »
Hmm, I pronounce ! as "not."

But yes, it is a click.
If warheads can't solve it, use more warheads.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk