Author Topic: Cerberus + Yggdrasil  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Enzyme

Cerberus + Yggdrasil
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:32:42 am »
A friend and I bought this game today and played for the first time. Early on we identified the power of the Cerberus to guard choke points, and soon had enough incense to build entire walls of them. Then, when combined with Yggdrasil, we filled most of the map with Cerberus' leading to a large number of tasty meals on the doppelganger units from the other side. Suffice to say, the last 30-40 turns were just End, End, End. I'm not sure if we just had a perfect storm of a game, or this strategy is actually quite broken, but many laughs were had. I can only assume that this game is poorly balanced for multiple players due to the turn advantage, which may have been the reason we were able to afford so many Mythological creatures.

Even without Yggdrasil, the Cerberus might need some tweaking. Most of the game seems to be designed around creating chaos, yet the Cerberus goes against this by allowing two key forms of control. Firstly, pretty much every basic in the unit dies trying to pass it, so it can guard a town essentially infinitely. Secondly, it blocks units of the same team, so it can even be used to protect opponent towns, by stopping the unit AI from destroying them. This lets you guide large numbers of units into chokes filled with Cerberus and get a lot of easy kills.

Interested to see how the game is tweaked in the coming weeks/months!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:36:26 am by Enzyme »

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Re: Cerberus + Yggdrasil
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 07:53:37 am »
For the Cereberus, keep in mind you could, for the most part, stop units even more strongly then with mountain.

Keeping Cerberus  at chokepoint creates a different effect. Norse melee gets toast, norse ranged gets distracted (they'll 1v1 against it, causing a little damage but ultimately stalling), and siege will fire in any gaps causing chaos.

It's..different.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 07:56:08 am »
Yep, alpha did not test multiplayer so it's going to be hilariously imbalanced, in the player's favour on most settings.
Until you have a wall full of Cerebii, they tend to get ignored by human units in favour of easier targets - I'd think this is influenced by the AP you got.

Perhaps, number of simultaneous woes or rate per player would help drain all the incense build-up in your town. Allowing woes from higher difficulties to show up in multiplayer should also help in balancing.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 08:09:32 am »
Be honest now, we had the ability to test multiplayer for about a week or so?  I don't think we every tried to get up a game amongst just the testers though.  :)
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:26:14 am »
But Cinth, which one of us were even on similar time zones? :D I didn't see forum activity on my evenings in GMT+1 - and I'm sure a single co-op game would've turned up plenty of posts. ;)

I'm game for co-op, btw.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 08:54:13 am »
I keep odd hours :)  I've been awake all night.  Half of my AM posts are before I actually go to bed lol.

Right now I'm getting acquainted with VotM Alpha stuff.  I'm just watching this forum and providing what help I can to the new players and having fun with my fellow testers :)  Shoot me a pm later tonight and I'll give it a go (I'm going to sleep soon).
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Enzyme

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 12:21:54 pm »
For the Cereberus, keep in mind you could, for the most part, stop units even more strongly then with mountain.

A mountain doesn't earn you any points though. The game requires carnage as part of the scoring system, so walling off with mountains doesn't help you. Making a trap of Cerberus's that the AI just wanders into endlessly because you can spam Barracks gets you a lot of points. Not saying there is necessarily an issue, I'm aware that on the tutorial and with two players the game experience is going to be very different. I love the Cerberus, just thought it might be something to keep an eye on.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »
I keep odd hours :)  I've been awake all night.  Half of my AM posts are before I actually go to bed lol.

Right now I'm getting acquainted with VotM Alpha stuff.  I'm just watching this forum and providing what help I can to the new players and having fun with my fellow testers :)  Shoot me a pm later tonight and I'll give it a go (I'm going to sleep soon).

Okay, if my partner tires of minecraft tonight I'll send you one. :P

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 02:04:19 pm »
Can any of the alpha testers think of a good way to counter this cerebus cheese?

-Teal

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 02:07:03 pm »
Spamming Elves :)

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 02:23:29 pm »
:)  Hmmmm.... i was thinking ham might work, you know... for... (drum roll please) Ham & Cheese sandwiches!!

:)

-Teal

p.s. I know... terrible... terrible... (but still fun!)  :)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 02:24:08 pm »
Can any of the alpha testers think of a good way to counter this cerebus cheese?

-Teal
Minotaurs?

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 02:25:22 pm »
Minotaurs are the same faction (direct placed ones).

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 02:27:32 pm »
True, but the Labyrinth ones could cause problems.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 02:29:53 pm »
And there is a Woe that drops Cerberus :) .. I went with the direct drops for that reason.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk