Author Topic: Minimum graphics spec?  (Read 8767 times)

Offline phil

• Newbie Mark II
Minimum graphics spec?
« on: February 27, 2017, 04:44:22 pm »
Hi,
On trying to start the game on a Linux laptop, it crashed out immediately.  I initially thought it was issue 0018948 from mantis, but then looking at the Player.log file, I see
Code: [Select]
Selecting FBConfig
GLX_FBCONFIG_ID=107
GLX_BUFFER_SIZE=32
GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER=1
GLX_RED_SIZE=8
GLX_GREEN_SIZE=8
GLX_BLUE_SIZE=8
GLX_ALPHA_SIZE=8
GLX_DEPTH_SIZE=24
GLX_STENCIL_SIZE=8
GLX_SAMPLES_ARB=0
GLX_SAMPLE_BUFFERS_ARB=0
GLX_STEREO=0
GLX_CONFIG_CAVEAT=NONE

Desktop is 1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 181, opcode 156/34, serial 58, XID 06600002, display 0x2db2d30
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 181, opcode 156/34, serial 61, XID 06600002, display 0x2db2d30
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 181, opcode 156/34, serial 64, XID 06600002, display 0x2db2d30
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 181, opcode 156/34, serial 67, XID 06600002, display 0x2db2d30
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 181, opcode 156/34, serial 70, XID 06600002, display 0x2db2d30
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 181, opcode 156/34, serial 73, XID 06600002, display 0x2db2d30
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 181, opcode 156/34, serial 76, XID 06600002, display 0x2db2d30
XError: GLXBadFBConfig (error 181, opcode 156/34, serial 79, XID 06600002, display 0x2db2d30
Failed to create valid graphics context: please ensure you meet the minimum requirements
E.g. OpenGL core profile 3.2 or later for OpenGL Core renderer
Is the last line the significant one, i.e., it actually needs OpenGL 3.2?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Minimum graphics spec?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 04:53:29 pm »
Hi there!

Okay, so it sounds like you don't meet the minimum system requirements for OpenGLCore, which is what it's trying to run in by default.  That's not a killer issue in and of itself per se, but it might mean you need to:

1. In the Steam Library, right click the game and go to Properties. Click the SET LAUNCH OPTIONS... button, then add your command line arguments in the popup dialog.

2. Put "-force-opengl" (no quotes) in there.

That will force it to use OpenGL 2.x, rather than OpenGLCore.  What GPU are you running, by the way?

Beyond that, it may be some of the settings I have on in general, such as MSAA set at 8x, etc; if it still fails when not running OpenGLCore, then that's likely the secondary culprit.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Gwmngilfen

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 09:13:45 pm »
If memory serves, Launch Options *replaces* the command, it doesn't append. So you want to put in the box "%command% -force-opengl"

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 09:43:53 am »
Ooh, thanks for that tip -- that's good to know.

Another thing to potentially try would be running the game via WINE, although that's more of a last ditch resort.  That would tell us a bit about whether it was drivers/opengl or something with the literal hardware, though.  I don't think we need to go that far, yet, though.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline phil

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 01:17:33 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

The -force-opengl switch doesn't  make any difference to the behaviour.  The player.log seems identical.

It's an old 64 bit machine -- i5 CPU and Intel HD Graphics 3000 (lshw reports "2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:126]"), with the i915 driver.

So I guess it's not happy with the OpenGL support:
Code: [Select]
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.3.2
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.0
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

It's a Debian stable machine.  I could update the mesa support using backports, but it's a stable (work) machine and I'd better not (for now).  If I get chance, I'll revisit this and try that.

Fortunately, my main (Windows) games machine runs it. :-)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 01:33:01 pm »
Got it -- that sure is frustrating.  If this were on windows, it would be working just fine with that hardware.  The minimum shader model in question is fine.  However, on that hardware generation, since it's using Linux with OpenGLCore, that means that the 3.2 openGL spec must be supported, which that hardware simply does not.  Upgrading Mesa won't help.

Since unity 5.3 or so, they added improvements to OpenGLCore, which allow a lot of new things on Linux, which is awesome... but then that switch that I mentioned is what is supposed to kick you back into an older mode that supports regular legacy OpenGL.  Why that isn't working is the main mystery to me.

For some more info: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/OpenGLCoreDetails.html

Basically we need to figure out how to get the game to run legacy OpenGL on that machine, because short of you using WINE and DirectX9 (which should do fine), there's no other path on that specific hardware.

Offline phil

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 03:50:44 pm »
Upgrading Mesa won't help.
Ah, okay.  Glad I didn't try it then!
Basically we need to figure out how to get the game to run legacy OpenGL on that machine, because short of you using WINE and DirectX9 (which should do fine), there's no other path on that specific hardware.
Fair enough.  From my perspective, there's no rush at all (as mentioned above, another machine works).  I'll happily try any other suggestions for working out why it doesn't seem to pick up the legacy OpenGL path.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 03:56:39 pm »
I appreciate it!  And it may be that simply shifting to a newer version of unity 3d (on our end, in a future build) will help to solve it.  In 5.6 with all the new Vulkan support (which that GPU definitely does not have), the options for forcing certain modes in linux may be better.

Offline Gwmngilfen

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 05:24:19 pm »
Worth knowing that Mesa has support for OpenGL 4 as of version 17 (just released) - see https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/category/articles/mesa-1700-has-officially-released-and-its-well-worth-updating.9110

Sadly, that's listed as an improvement for i965 rather than i915, but it maybe worth upgrading if there are packages for your OS.

Hmm, I think I have an i915 laptop around here somewhere... let me go test :P

EDIT: oh, just re-read your comment about it being a hardware issue Chris - never mind :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 07:44:47 pm »
All good! :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 04:56:21 pm »
Well, this is not boding well at the moment for linux only with that level of hardware: https://bugtracker.arcengames.com/view.php?id=18948

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 11:06:27 am »
Okay, so here's what I've found out:

- Basically, OpenGL2.x support was completely removed in Unity 5.5, which is quite frustrating and was not well-advertised as something that would happen: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/unity-55-released-removes-legacy-opengl-support.8627 [^]

- This is mostly an issue for Linux machines running something OLDER than Sandy Bridge intel GPUs. Apparently the MESA drivers do indeed need to be updated, and can be: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc5MjY [^]

- Further notes about the level of support indicate that even an Intel HD Graphics 2000 should be able to run OpenGL 3.3. Minimum of 3.2 is now required, but 3.3 should work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units#Sixth_generation [^]

-Any intel GPU older than 2011 (aka pre-Sandy Bridge, aka anything prior to the 6th generation of intel processors) will definitely NOT work. Of course, with a discrete GPU those processors can still be used with the game, but just not as the GPU powering it.

-Why exactly your machine is reporting MESA support of only 3.1, I'm not sure. It may actually be a driver thing after all!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 11:09:38 am »
Worth knowing that Mesa has support for OpenGL 4 as of version 17 (just released) - see https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/category/articles/mesa-1700-has-officially-released-and-its-well-worth-updating.9110

Sadly, that's listed as an improvement for i965 rather than i915, but it maybe worth upgrading if there are packages for your OS.

Hmm, I think I have an i915 laptop around here somewhere... let me go test :P

EDIT: oh, just re-read your comment about it being a hardware issue Chris - never mind :)

Ooh!  Okay, so this is a Mesa issue after all.  His Mesa 10.3.2 is so out of date that it likely doesn't have the 3.3 support that it should have.  So you were right, as it turns out.  With that i915 laptop, are you able to get any results? :)

Offline phil

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 02:42:08 pm »
Aha, so there's hope for old Sandybridge-based machines. :-)
I'll see how much disruption it'll cause updating the mesa and related packages... maybe this weekend.

Offline Gwmngilfen

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 04:03:23 pm »
Just installed it from Steam now (side note, that machine doesn't seem to have a BleedingEdgeTest dir, strange...) - seems to work fine! A bit sluggish, but I haven't tweaked the settings at all, so I expected as much.

For reference, some data:

$ uname -a                                                                                                                   ~
Linux sapphire 4.9.11-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Feb 19 13:45:52 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ pacman -Q|egrep "mesa|intel"                                                                                               ~
multilib/lib32-mesa 17.0.0-2
multilib/lib32-mesa-libgl 17.0.0-2
extra/mesa 17.0.0-2
extra/mesa-libgl 17.0.0-2
extra/xf86-video-intel 1:2.99.917+757+g93942b7d-1 (xorg-drivers)

Hope it helps!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk