Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 51976 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
XCOM 2
« on: February 05, 2016, 06:17:06 pm »
I know this forum has a lot of fans of the XCOM games, so I was wondering about the popular consensus on the critically acclaimed next title in the series.

What it has going for it are amazing reviews, updated graphics, and new mechanics.

What it has going against it is are some significant release bugs, the $60 price tag, and the pre-release $20 DLC, which seems to have become more and more common for big companies.

So friends, tell us what you think.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: XCOM 2
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 06:32:02 pm »
I love it so far.

Some performance woes that should really not be there, but it's not unplayable at least, and hopefully they get resolved soon.

A lot of people bitching about missions having a turn-limit, but I think the game is better for it.

I don't have a problem with the whole DLC thing in AAA games. When game prices don't adjust to inflation, that's what companies have to do basically.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 07:18:53 pm »
A lot of people bitching about missions having a turn-limit, but I think the game is better for it.
I didn't know about this until you mentioned it, but that's really nifty! One of the things I hate the most about the XCOM games is how dragged out the missions can become. And since it never punished you for being ridiculously cautious, it could sometimes take ages for even the most mundane missions.

What's the outcome of exceeding the turn limit?
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 07:25:57 pm »
I didn't know about this until you mentioned it, but that's really nifty! One of the things I hate the most about the XCOM games is how dragged out the missions can become. And since it never punished you for being ridiculously cautious, it could sometimes take ages for even the most mundane missions.

What's the outcome of exceeding the turn limit?

One mission appeared to be a forced extraction, so you basically didn't do what you set out to do and have to go home a failure.

I had a rescue VIP mission where I believe the VIP was just going to go away if you took too long, but you would STILL have to make it to the extraction point on your own if you wanted to get out alive. (I ended up killing the VIP well before the time limit, whoops!).

It seems in either case you basically lose you mission reward, but it's not like your squad bites it, but who knows if some harder missions may be that way (I'm not too far yet).

The time limits are tight, but not excessively so. People make it sound like you have to sprint toward the objective w/o abandon getting gunned down in the process. I didn't find it to be that way at all. You basically just can't waste turns doing nothing (crawl->overwatch->crawl->repeat).

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 08:15:58 pm »
yea this game looks pretty great sadly I don't think my laptop could possibly run I remember trying out xcom 1 when it was on a free weekend and it couldn't even load properly sadness on my part.
c.r

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 08:21:28 pm »
Heard a lot about shitty performance, but otherwise it's pretty much universally praised. I know I'm betraying my XCOM-fanboyism but I haven't actually bought it yet. I'm not THAT interested in this reboot that I have to get it on release. I'll get it when there's economic space, a sale or when I actually feel like being kicked in the teeth by RNG. ^^
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 08:29:46 pm »
Heard a lot about shitty performance, but otherwise it's pretty much universally praised. I know I'm betraying my XCOM-fanboyism but I haven't actually bought it yet. I'm not THAT interested in this reboot that I have to get it on release. I'll get it when there's economic space, a sale or when I actually feel like being kicked in the teeth by RNG. ^^
its not that shitty a performer its just the norm for my laptop anything that's full 3d while also designed to look tends to make my laptop angry and kill it normally I wouldn't care(I normally prefer 2d art styled games any way) but xcom 2 has surprised me by actually looking really fun and better than its predecessor.
c.r

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:15:30 pm »
Well, I've heard of people with beefy gaming rigs having the game chug along. That's what I meant ^^
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 09:25:57 pm »
Well, I've heard of people with beefy gaming rigs having the game chug along. That's what I meant ^^
well in my case games like that just don't work if it was just a case of fps id play it any way although if people are having issues like that with good pcs then it may be time for the xcom 2 to invest in some optimisation.
c.r

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 09:52:46 pm »
I recently did a mission that had a ton of turn animation glitches (where it hangs for a long time before showing the animation). It is unfortunate and I hope they solve these quickly.

It's a bit odd because it was running much better for me this morning.

XCOM had them now and again but it seems much worse here.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 01:27:30 am »
No! Don't talk about it, don't spoiler it!
 I cannot play it right now because of my dumb download limit! For some idiotic reason my internet privider thougth NOW would be the best time to replace all old lines/wires and replace them with something new. However, this takes awefully long and until it's done i have only shitty internet. On multiple days int he wek I don't get any internet at all and it pisses me off!
Now I cannot play XCOM on the release day and this drives me crazy!
GODDAMMIT!!!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 07:11:01 am »
From what I've heard the issue is firaxis added in an absurd level of AA (MSAA 8x) that no one will reasonably run well yet, so the answer is to tone down your antialiasing and then tinker with other things.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 01:05:20 pm »
From what I've heard the issue is firaxis added in an absurd level of AA (MSAA 8x) that no one will reasonably run well yet, so the answer is to tone down your antialiasing and then tinker with other things.

That helps but it's really only part of the problem.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 01:13:53 pm »
I'm principally against spending $60 on a game, unless it's some kind of bundle or RTS for which I want to support the developer. So as exciting as it has been talking about XCOM 2 and watching people play it, I figured I may not be able to enjoy it myself for another year or more.

My best friend got me a copy out of nowhere, it shocked the hell out of me, and so I'm installing it now. I'm so excited to play.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 04:09:40 pm »

That helps but it's really only part of the problem.
Well I dunno what to say then, unless you could help with when it sometimes freezes the animations before showing all the damage at once (it always happens with kill zone for example). I've been having very few problems running with the low settings I decided on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk