Author Topic: The-collapse-of-complex-business-models  (Read 3502 times)

Offline deMangler

• Full Member Mark II
  • om tare tuttare ture soha
The-collapse-of-complex-business-models
« on: April 10, 2010, 12:15:41 pm »
This is excellent, although I don't agree with it all - it has some good insights.

http://www.shirky.com/weblog/2010/04/the-collapse-of-complex-business-models/

It is a remarkably appropriate independent explanation, if you like, of why Arcen Games approach is a good, practical, and timely one from a business viewpoint.
We already know it is good from the POV of the customers... ;)
a quote:

“Web users will have to pay [too much] for what they watch and use, or else we will have to stop making content in the costly and complex way we have grown accustomed to making it. And we don’t know how to do that.”

I added the  '[too much]'  in the original context the 'too much' is not required.

I was going  to post this in the 'Ubisoft goes completely Insane - Starts new harsh DRM Initiative'  thread, as that seems to have become the thread for discussing DRM insanity.
But then I thought maybe I should not be so lazy, and start a thread about how big business need to change their whole attitude, and why it is hard for them to do it, and how they might go about doing it....
Seems complimentary to a lot of the thought I have seen discussed on this forum.

Anyway, there ya go.....
dM

<edit> tidied up the post a bit....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 12:36:39 pm by deMangler »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: The-collapse-of-complex-business-models
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 03:02:16 pm »
Yeah -- very interesting, indeed.  When most huge games have budgets of $10 million or more, our budgets here are more modest.  All told, I think Tidalis is costing Arcen about $160k in man hours or so -- but because we use royalty agreements with staff, where many of them choose to share in the profits rather than getting paid up front, Arcen's out of pocket costs for a game like Tidalis is really only more like $30k at most.

Tidalis is inexpensive compared to many of the games we might do, but even the most ambitious of those would probably cost around $800k in man hours at most, and those would be contingent upon our having built up an audience large enough to actually support that sort of expenditure, not on our raising prices.  Unless something drastically changes, right now $20 is about the high point for our games, and Tidalis will be $10, and Alden Ridge and AVWW are expected to be in the $10-$15 range unless something changes.

AI War was able to be successful simply because I was willing to put in 1.5 years of free labor on it, honestly.  However, given that this sort of game is also an intense personal interest of mine, and a hobby, this was an acceptable way for me to bootstrap the company.  I have made many games without ever having tried to sell them, and AI War could have ended up like that.  In the end, though, with regional retail deals, and the ongoing sales driven by expansions and our DLC, etc, there's a chance that I might eventually wind up recouping those hourly costs by the end of the financial life of AI War. We shall see.  As it stands, it's created a situation where Pablo and I are actually able to work fulltime on future projects such as Tidalis, and that's quite enough success for me at the moment.

It's a really different sort of model, to be sure, but (knock on wood) it seems financially viable for Arcen and staff.  We'll see how things continue for us as time goes on, but I think that the important note is that our company was founded on an entirely different model from the bigger companies.  We couldn't easily switch to work in the fashion that they do, and I certainly don't think you could retrofit a company like them to work like we do.  So that's kind of interesting, I guess.

Thanks for the article post!  Good one.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Buttons840

Re: The-collapse-of-complex-business-models
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:46:19 pm »
   "People don't change their minds. They die, and are replaced by people with different opinions."

- Arturo Albergati

There's some truth to that.  And it applies to businesses as well.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk