Author Topic: Sunless Sea - Succumb to your inner madness  (Read 6298 times)

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Sunless Sea - Succumb to your inner madness
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 06:34:33 am »
The admiralty is quite profitable if you're doing the whole tour. I remember going to nearly all islands and making some profit. Although killing the beasties is also quite nice.

However, it's been a loooong time since I played this... My last game apparently had 30k in bank, I think I was planning to buy the biggest ship. Sadly I've forgotten all about the game, if I take it now I'll probably die. And buy the zubmarine also probably requires money, quite a lot of.

Choices choices...

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 07:49:06 am »
I'm starting over from scratch personally it'll be more fun than jumping back into my old save and wandering around in a confused haze by the way does anybody remember what the deal with that rotating thing in the bottom left corner of the map is?
I remember being to scared of it to ever go up to it properly for some reason.
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 01:11:46 pm »
The blind bruiser should appear in Lodnon right after your first long tour, you cannot miss him since he will talk to you and you cannot go on until you either agree tp take his present or neglet it.

I think one of the most valuable missions are the Neathbow quest (find some spetacular colors) and the Princible of Corals. Both give you some very good artifacts to sell.

Here are some spoilers for the shiny thing in the bottom of the map.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The thing is called the Dawn Machine and is an artificial sun/star. If you aren't familiar with the Fallen London lore, stars are the creators of nature's laws. They are in charge of the physical laws in the world, but under the Neath is no starlight and because of this a lot of laws are absent. That's why people don't stay dead when they die in Fallen London among many other crazy things.
Some split group of the admirailty tried to recreate the sun and enforce again the laws of the stars. Or maybe their own laws. However, they got corrupted by the dawn machine and the exposed sunlight, so they now roam the sea and try to "recruit" people I their group,even by force. The sunlight itself is evry dangerous to people int he Neath, since you lived so long in the absent of laws, you are practically doomed to die once you resurface as "punishemnt". You may suvive some time on the surface but not very long.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 01:26:44 pm »
The blind bruiser should appear in Lodnon right after your first long tour, you cannot miss him since he will talk to you and you cannot go on until you either agree tp take his present or neglet it.

I think one of the most valuable missions are the Neathbow quest (find some spetacular colors) and the Princible of Corals. Both give you some very good artifacts to sell.

Here are some spoilers for the shiny thing in the bottom of the map.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The thing is called the Dawn Machine and is an artificial sun/star. If you aren't familiar with the Fallen London lore, stars are the creators of nature's laws. They are in charge of the physical laws in the world, but under the Neath is no starlight and because of this a lot of laws are absent. That's why people don't stay dead when they die in Fallen London among many other crazy things.
Some split group of the admirailty tried to recreate the sun and enforce again the laws of the stars. Or maybe their own laws. However, they got corrupted by the dawn machine and the exposed sunlight, so they now roam the sea and try to "recruit" people I their group,even by force. The sunlight itself is evry dangerous to people int he Neath, since you lived so long in the absent of laws, you are practically doomed to die once you resurface as "punishemnt". You may suvive some time on the surface but not very long.
1 yea I encountered him after collecting a special port report for the admiralty id completely forgotten he was a thing though I do remember now that there was some interesting stuff if you take up his offer like meeting with a pirate king and smuggling sunlight.

2 yea I'm aware of that quest I remember the thing id do in starting of a new character was to take someone to venderbright and go talk to that dude the principle of coral sounds REALY familiar but I cant quite place it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
3 that's...pretty interesting didn't know about that I assumed that the light causing harm to the neaths inhabits was less of a god thing and more a biological thing but that makes way more sense
that makes me more curious now about the iron republic now I wonder if them making up their own laws has anything to do with the dawn machine unless hell has its own laws that just happened to become a thing their as well
this reminds me though of the browser game I played a little bit of I don't think it would hurt to give that more of a try now as well.
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 12:31:29 am »
Finally got my Zubmarine and dived. Holy shit, it's drk down there. And I mean literally pitch black. Everything your lamp doesn't illuminate cannot be seen by you unless it has its own light source.
Also,t he enmies down there are brutal. Most of these enemies are as strong as some of the mini bosses from the surface (the Neath surface, not the real surface). Except enemies with around 500 hp. I think I need a new ship first to make real big dives, my small 75 hp ship won't last long down there.
I like how well they managed the amtopshere. Both the absence of any light and the muffled soundtrack that sounds like you are really underwater, give the game the perfect atmosphere.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Saw also the Tree of Ages for the first time myself in the game. If you are not familiar with Fallen London lore, spiders in the Neath sometimes fuse together to some big hive mind being with human intelligence. These beings are called spider councils. One of them grew to some kind of ship monstrosity and roams the zee around Saviour's rock (an isles group and home to spiders) and hunts down ships that come close to it. I thought I will die but I could escape. It's one of the bosses of the game.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:36:02 am by TheVampire100 »

Offline jenya

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 04:15:39 am »

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 06:15:43 am »
so I've been playing the browser game a lot and I've ended up learning a lot of interesting and really weird stuff like for instance
Spoiler for Hiden:
did you know that the market you buy stuff from in sunless sea is alive and very sentient?
also something interesting about that game is that you can become a captain in it as well...it just takes freaking for ever I haven't but I know others have.
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 06:59:39 am »
That's nothing new for me. It's been known for a long time.
Here's a spoiler with detailed information about it. Don't click it if you want to find it out on your own.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The "bazaar" is actually some sort of alien creature, a giant crab-like entity. It is hinted that he is Icarus.
He was a messenger for the stars but on one of his trips to deliver his message, he found our sun, fell in love with her and they had an affair (and a daughter). But the other stars found eventually out (most likely because he never delivered his message or because they are literal gods after all) and he should be punished, so he fled in the Neath (on our earth) to hide from the stars (no sunlight=no reach of the stars), disguised himself as a bazaar (just to be safe) and started to collect cities from the earth for his master plan: To collect as many love stories as possible to convince the stars that the love between him and the sun is legitimate. It's actually a ridiculous plan if you think about it but he does it any way and all what's happening in the game(s) is just because some space crab had a romance with our sun. Ouch.
His plan is to colelct five different cities over a loooong span of time, each filled with love stories. When he sapped all love stories from a city, he will get a new city, slapping it on top of the last city (and crushing it in the process). After five cities he thinks this will be enough. London is the fourth so far, so only one city will come after it.

However! There is a possibility it will never come to this fifth city. And I don't mean because the game takes place in London and stays that way. sunless Sea gets a sequel, Sunless Skies, which plays some time in the future where... London for some reason is placed in space.
The reason for this isn't given but it is said the stars are dying and int he game you will have to figure out what is happening. Most likely the bazaar himself decided to finally come out of his hiding place to see what's going up. Or probably because no stars means no one can punish him anymore. There is a hidden preview of what is happening in the future in the game itself. I haven't found it myself but I stumbled upon it on the wiki.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 10:40:38 am »
That's nothing new for me. It's been known for a long time.
Here's a spoiler with detailed information about it. Don't click it if you want to find it out on your own.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The "bazaar" is actually some sort of alien creature, a giant crab-like entity. It is hinted that he is Icarus.
He was a messenger for the stars but on one of his trips to deliver his message, he found our sun, fell in love with her and they had an affair (and a daughter). But the other stars found eventually out (most likely because he never delivered his message or because they are literal gods after all) and he should be punished, so he fled in the Neath (on our earth) to hide from the stars (no sunlight=no reach of the stars), disguised himself as a bazaar (just to be safe) and started to collect cities from the earth for his master plan: To collect as many love stories as possible to convince the stars that the love between him and the sun is legitimate. It's actually a ridiculous plan if you think about it but he does it any way and all what's happening in the game(s) is just because some space crab had a romance with our sun. Ouch.
His plan is to colelct five different cities over a loooong span of time, each filled with love stories. When he sapped all love stories from a city, he will get a new city, slapping it on top of the last city (and crushing it in the process). After five cities he thinks this will be enough. London is the fourth so far, so only one city will come after it.

However! There is a possibility it will never come to this fifth city. And I don't mean because the game takes place in London and stays that way. sunless Sea gets a sequel, Sunless Skies, which plays some time in the future where... London for some reason is placed in space.
The reason for this isn't given but it is said the stars are dying and int he game you will have to figure out what is happening. Most likely the bazaar himself decided to finally come out of his hiding place to see what's going up. Or probably because no stars means no one can punish him anymore. There is a hidden preview of what is happening in the future in the game itself. I haven't found it myself but I stumbled upon it on the wiki.
it wasn't meant for you it was meant for those here who have only played ss since from what I can tell that's never brought up in that game.
also
Spoiler for Hiden:
interesting there's nothing crazy to speak in my fallen London for me so far asides from the fact that I'm apparently destined to go up the mountain of light and make death possible somehow? its pretty vague of course on the actual details(and yes I'm aware that's were stones meant to live)

also I've got this story going called touched by finger works which keeps increasing progress at the most random possible times and doesn't seem to have affected anything so far
for those curious fallen London's a browser game with metric tons of content in it and fantastic writing.
 how ever it has that annoying thing of limiting the actions you can do and refreshing them in real time it also has some elements it also gates a very limited amount of content to real money points.

edit
Spoiler for Hiden:
wait! hold on in fallen London it says that there were 4 city's before London so wouldn't that make London the 5th? I'm taking this persificly from the story progress walking the falling cities.
 which I'm getting because my characters nightmares went to high and I went a bit bonkers found my self in a jungle then walked through a mirror into a hotel and now I'm trying to find the manager......for some reason.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 02:28:35 pm by crazyroosterman »
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 04:21:42 pm »
You are right, it's the fith, not the fourth, I got that mixed up.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 01:07:10 pm »
You are right, it's the fith, not the fourth, I got that mixed up.
indeed it is so also
Spoiler for Hiden:
so currently I'm about engage in the seeking mr eaters name storyline which the game is telling me is a terrible idea also did you know he has a twitter account? which tweets nothing but bizzaritys very interesting
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk