Author Topic: RTS with Time manipulation  (Read 12733 times)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
Re: RTS with Time manipulation
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2010, 04:12:37 pm »
I preordered it, and while it needs work on the visual and control polish section, the mechanic is very real and does make a huge difference in games. :)
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline Kron

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Not an AI.
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 12:26:29 am »
Hmmm, there are a lot of misconceptions about the game over here. In particular, eRe4s3r's comments strike me as an overly pessimistic extrapolation of the game.

I suspect he hasn't played it, but I amn't sure? Not that you have to buy a game to criticize it (which I consider perfectly justified)... but it's still somewhat uninformed.

Anyway, I'll be happy to answer any doubts anyone has about Achron, or any criticisms of the game design.

Speaking of this - This time rts game is VERY scant on new media - which makes me fear that they will actually ship out with these terrible graphics and controls.

Yes, media is scant. I suspect this is on purpose.

I think the devs don't want to stir up too much attention this early, and plan to start marketing in earnest around when the beta comes out. To put this in perspective, they've been developing "undercover" for a long time. They've been working on this game since 2000.

The early demo videos were probably to attract a comfortable fanbase to test their alpha (which they know have). Their most recent video was specifically released for the IGF.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 12:31:28 am by Kron »
Time travel in the classic sense has no place in rational theory, but temporal distortion does exist on the quantum level, and more importantly it can be controlled.
- Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted the Fruit"

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 12:57:21 am »
I'm foreseeing a lot of balancing and testing issues with this game, so even when polished, it'll probably stay in beta for an extended period of time. Which is not a bad thing, mind you. I'll rather wait a bit extra than get a half-assed product early.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Kron

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Not an AI.
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 01:39:25 am »
I'm foreseeing a lot of balancing and testing issues with this game, so even when polished, it'll probably stay in beta for an extended period of time. Which is not a bad thing, mind you. I'll rather wait a bit extra than get a half-assed product early.

Balancing is a very interesting beast in Achron. This is because balance is automated by a program I affectionately refer to as the "Almighty Balance Algorithm".

This has a couple of unusual consequences:
  • Competitive balance is usually not a problem. The algorithm is extremely efficient at testing out various strategies for all the races and comparing them. (though we've managed to catch around two bugs in it at this point, so its not perfect)
  • Since unit cost calculation is automated, unit properties are extremely flexible. We can practically redefine a faction from the ground up and have the ABA balance it with the other races as quickly as one compiles a program. (Mind you, it's like compiling a very large program... can take hours to a day)
The real issue is in monitoring how interesting each faction is. The ABA doesn't track how cool units look, how differentiated and unique they are compared to other units, and how thematically consistent each army is.

Case in point, we've just had our v0.6 release with all the three races:

While the Grekim are perfectly balanced in terms of raw firepower / chronorush / etc. capabilities with all the other races, their chronoportation tools are somewhat awkward to use; discouraging widespread cross-time deployment.
... this basically makes the Grekim the worst race at time travelling. The race touted as being the "masters of time travel".

So... yeah. The issue of "balance" is a bit weird here.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:41:06 am by Kron »
Time travel in the classic sense has no place in rational theory, but temporal distortion does exist on the quantum level, and more importantly it can be controlled.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 03:39:54 am »
That's... a bit odd. But you released a new version recently? THen I might have to re-download, becuase my download is some two weeks old.

Offline Kron

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Not an AI.
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 05:45:35 am »
v0.6.1.0 came out 10 days ago. Is that the version you're using?

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 06:04:18 am »
v0.6.1.0 came out 10 days ago. Is that the version you're using?
I haven't installed it yet (were busy making videos yesterday), but I'll have a look once I get back home. (At work currently).

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 07:49:33 am »
Hmmm, there are a lot of misconceptions about the game over here. In particular, eRe4s3r's comments strike me as an overly pessimistic extrapolation of the game.

I suspect he hasn't played it, but I amn't sure? Not that you have to buy a game to criticize it (which I consider perfectly justified)... but it's still somewhat uninformed.

I am born skeptic ;P - I never play or buy games before they are final. I did that once and i still regret it to this day. Besides I also have to say that the IGF vid did not wow me at all. Time Travel is an AWESOME gameplay element of course, but imo not in a fast paced RTS...... We'll see on release whether that turns out to be true or false ;)

Even a time travel rts has to get the RTS part right first :D
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Kron

• Jr. Member Mark II
  • Not an AI.
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 01:00:26 pm »
Blargh, I started the other Achron thread for precisely this: possible issues in Achron.

I'd like to point out that Achron isn't exactly "fast-paced" because fast is slightly meaningless within the game. I know for a fact that I tend to like playing in slow motion so I can think out my strategies better. I know plenty of players who play in fast-forward (x2) so that they can sweep larger sections of the timeline with their eye.

Anyway, nice to finally meet you, eRe4s3r. I love your C2 avatar. <3

Edit: Update!

That's... a bit odd. But you released a new version recently? THen I might have to re-download, becuase my download is some two weeks old.

I responded to this by basically saying "Yeah, v0.6.1.0 is out". I realize now that I may sound like I actually work for HS or something.

I don't. I'm just a fan. Case in point, I asked the devs about the balance algorithm and they corrected me about one of my assumptions: Apparently the ABA does track unit differentiation!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 01:55:03 pm by Kron »

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »
Right, I'll redownload then, because I still have 5.1.0.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk