Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: Total Annihilation IN SPACE  (Read 135712 times)

Offline doctorfrog

Re: Planetary Annihilation: Total Annihilation IN SPACE
« Reply #555 on: October 08, 2014, 03:38:37 pm »
So, would this offline patch make PA effectively DRM-free? If so, I'm a few steps more interested.

Also, if you're a game developer, you definitely want Wingflier as a high priest fan.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #556 on: October 08, 2014, 04:06:55 pm »
Dude I grew up playing Total Annihilation. Anybody who even attempts to remake the glory of my childhood deserves all my praise :D
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #557 on: October 09, 2014, 03:50:13 am »
So, would this offline patch make PA effectively DRM-free? If so, I'm a few steps more interested.

Also, if you're a game developer, you definitely want Wingflier as a high priest fan.
That is the plan. I don't know if LAN support comes in this patch as well, but it has been promised. The promise was that you were to be able to play it completely DRM free, offline and running your own servers and basically be able to mod almost everything in the game. We're not quite there yet :P
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #558 on: October 09, 2014, 04:07:35 pm »

That is the plan. I don't know if LAN support comes in this patch as well, but it has been promised. The promise was that you were to be able to play it completely DRM free, offline and running your own servers and basically be able to mod almost everything in the game. We're not quite there yet :P
I'm looking forward to it. It's not a guarantee, but very often games really get their best after the excitement dies down, when they become just a big lump of clay for a gaming community to roll around in its hands for half a decade. I know that it's not the most exciting thing to a developer, though, since the game by then is not nearly as profitable, but the open-as-heck approach can also sometimes result in a relatively low, but steady, income source as the game sustains continued 'cult' interest.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #559 on: October 11, 2014, 12:33:16 am »

I highly doubt they will remove PlayFab logins even FROM the Offline server version, i have the latest PTE and it's not magically skipping FlayFab... it simply runs the games on your own pc but you still have to be online to even get into the menu..

Maybe they have different interpretation on what playing "offline" means.

Guess we'll see ;)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #560 on: October 11, 2014, 11:51:48 am »
Maybe they have different interpretation on what playing "offline" means.
If so they'll learn the correct definition: "where the internet can't get to you".  Because they will want to be there :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #561 on: October 13, 2014, 01:50:34 pm »
So I just checked it again and you CAN play it entirely offline.... if you install the crack ;p

So playfab gone and offline gaming is possible. But still not lan play from what I can tell. Ie no local server discovery etc. This just further proves that Playfab is just the gatekeeper to MP, it doesn't have an actual function besides that (that I could tell, anyway)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #562 on: October 13, 2014, 07:14:46 pm »
So I just checked it again and you CAN play it entirely offline.... if you install the crack ;p

So playfab gone and offline gaming is possible. But still not lan play from what I can tell. Ie no local server discovery etc. This just further proves that Playfab is just the gatekeeper to MP, it doesn't have an actual function besides that (that I could tell, anyway)

I'm sure they are just getting all of the legitimate sales that they can before opening up to potential pirate scenarios. Let's be real, if they offered local area network play, a lot of people would just steal the game and play offline.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #563 on: October 13, 2014, 07:25:13 pm »
Meanwhile if you want that kind of customer service you have to crack the game :)

Certainly not a situation unique to this game, of course.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #564 on: October 14, 2014, 05:18:52 am »

I'm sure they are just getting all of the legitimate sales that they can before opening up to potential pirate scenarios. Let's be real, if they offered local area network play, a lot of people would just steal the game and play offline.

True enough.. but given the limited content of the game in terms of AI skirmish I doubt it would have much allure for pirates ,) Most people do not care for LAN gaming ;) I guess there'd be a few pirates who'd care... but considering the development was funded before development they have literally nothing to lose from pirates.

Offline WingedKagouti

« Reply #565 on: October 14, 2014, 08:46:07 am »

I know at least 8 people who would do just that. Granted LAN play is something they do once or twice a year, but it does happen often enough that they do use some cracked games and generally won't consider buying those games for themselves afterwards. Their thought process going something like "I can't play with the others if I buy it, since they use the cracked version. So I'll just buy something else instead, perhaps a couple of beer and some snacks."

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #566 on: October 14, 2014, 08:48:32 am »

True enough.. but given the limited content of the game in terms of AI skirmish I doubt it would have much allure for pirates ,) Most people do not care for LAN gaming ;) I guess there'd be a few pirates who'd care... but considering the development was funded before development they have literally nothing to lose from pirates.

Of course there is something to lose. Profit.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #567 on: October 14, 2014, 09:36:59 am »
I finally found a potential reason for PlayFab. It is simple, and I didn't come with it because of how horrible it is.

PlayFab is the infrastructure to allow in game purchases. That is how it "cuts costs" for them.  It actually doesn't, it just boosts their income. I notice if I do not log in to the program, in game purchases are disabled.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #568 on: October 15, 2014, 05:13:11 am »
in-game purchases? You mean those 10$ commander avatars that all look sort of alike and nobody cares how their own actually looks? ;) I would think sales of those are in the "low 100's" at best... or at least I hope.. never even considered that haha ;)

I know at least 8 people who would do just that. Granted LAN play is something they do once or twice a year, but it does happen often enough that they do use some cracked games and generally won't consider buying those games for themselves afterwards. Their thought process going something like "I can't play with the others if I buy it, since they use the cracked version. So I'll just buy something else instead, perhaps a couple of beer and some snacks."

To be fair, for lan gaming I only ever allowed cracked games myself too..... the reason is simple. stability and version control. Everyone had the SAME VERSION, everyone had the SAME MAPS and the SAME MODS. if you ever had a LAN yourself you know coordinating this so that everyone has the exact same version of a game can be quite a challenge. :)

Especially when you play with mods.... more than 1 lan party was ruined because some-body had version 1.41 of some mod and someone else had version 1.5 and yet another one had version 1.46 and all 3 were mutually exclusive and copying over the folders somehow invalidated the game install unless you cracked it (yes, had it all happen)

And the download link for version 1.41, 1.46 and 1.5 had disappeared, and now you could only download version 1.52... which was 1.2gb ;) (back when 10mbit LAN was a thing, that was huge) grml...

Offline WingedKagouti

« Reply #569 on: October 15, 2014, 08:21:40 am »
in-game purchases? You mean those 10$ commander avatars that all look sort of alike and nobody cares how their own actually looks? ;) I would think sales of those are in the "low 100's" at best... or at least I hope.. never even considered that haha ;)

To be fair, for lan gaming I only ever allowed cracked games myself too..... the reason is simple. stability and version control. Everyone had the SAME VERSION, everyone had the SAME MAPS and the SAME MODS. if you ever had a LAN yourself you know coordinating this so that everyone has the exact same version of a game can be quite a challenge. :)

Especially when you play with mods.... more than 1 lan party was ruined because some-body had version 1.41 of some mod and someone else had version 1.5 and yet another one had version 1.46 and all 3 were mutually exclusive and copying over the folders somehow invalidated the game install unless you cracked it (yes, had it all happen)

And the download link for version 1.41, 1.46 and 1.5 had disappeared, and now you could only download version 1.52... which was 1.2gb ;) (back when 10mbit LAN was a thing, that was huge) grml...
To me the main thing is that these days Steam and similar services make sure that the version you have installed is up to date. And yes, I've experienced the same version mismatch you have, and it can slow down a party as everyone waits while the one CD with the install files for all the cracks/mods is passed around. But now we have Steam, the workshop, and rather massive connections available, letting everyone sync up with the latest patch (if they haven't already) in usually under half an hour (unless it's a large game and/or several people don't have it installed).

For all the things people complain about with Steam, Origin, UPlay and whatever else there is, those services at least make sure that people aren't trying to use outdated versions to play with others.

And those people I wrote about in my previous post? They'd still stick to the cracked version and never buy the game for themselves, even though they like the games and could afford to buy them several times. Which is partially why the last couple of sessions have been mostly FTP grindfest shooters, with a few other people taking breaks with some game they own.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk