Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: Total Annihilation IN SPACE  (Read 135711 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Re: Planetary Annihilation: Total Annihilation IN SPACE
« Reply #435 on: September 06, 2014, 10:26:00 am »
Depends a lot on what map you chose, I guess. The very smallest maps are usually either two moons and one central planet, or two planets. Ideal for 2-4 players. Then there are the really big maps made for 8+ players that house multiple moons, asteroids and planets. What was the problem with the map?

For me, the planet felt...way to much curved. Perhaps I found my first game on the smallest "map" but when I saw my building curve a little I was like "wat?"

I understand worlds curve, but how much?
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #436 on: September 06, 2014, 10:27:33 am »
I'm guessing the assumption is either really small planets or really big buildings.

Still, if you have to start designing your walker-mechs with offset hip joints to account for surface curvature, there might be a problem :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #437 on: September 06, 2014, 10:39:12 am »
I never had a problem with the curve of the planets, I have more of a problem trying to keep track of my buildings if I use the non-pole-lock camera mode. I'll zoom out and look elsewhere and then my buildings will have spun around  or something.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #438 on: September 06, 2014, 10:48:40 am »
I hope to pick this up at some point, but I'm in the no-always-online-requirement camp.  I have good internet service, and always having an internet connection isn't technically a problem, but at some point in the future, the servers will be taken offline and I won't be able to play it anymore.  As someone who still breaks out Wake of the Ravager every now and then, that's just not acceptable to me.  I have no philosophical beef with their requirements, only a practical one.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #439 on: September 06, 2014, 01:37:19 pm »
I never had a problem with the curve of the planets, I have more of a problem trying to keep track of my buildings if I use the non-pole-lock camera mode. I'll zoom out and look elsewhere and then my buildings will have spun around  or something.
Haha, this so much! I have to pole lock my camera I think. The spinning really messes with my spatial senses.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #440 on: September 06, 2014, 02:08:51 pm »
If PA has always-online DRM, count me out. It is a deal breaker for me if a game, and especially RTS/Strategy games, come with always-online DRM. Everyone else has figured out how to do non-server-based RTSes before, they can figure it out now.
Wait a minute, is this coming from the person that plays SMITE more than any other video game in his arsenal?

@Keith, you got me there. I stand corrected.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #441 on: September 06, 2014, 02:30:16 pm »
If PA has always-online DRM, count me out. It is a deal breaker for me if a game, and especially RTS/Strategy games, come with always-online DRM. Everyone else has figured out how to do non-server-based RTSes before, they can figure it out now.
Wait a minute, is this coming from the person that plays SMITE more than any other video game in his arsenal?
SMITE is a multiplayer game.  I don't think the objection is to PA's multiplayer requiring a connection (LAN support aside), but rather its singleplayer doing so.

Anyway, my grumblings aside I'm confident Uber will patch in offline singleplayer in the not-very-distant future.  Given what they'd said in the past failing to follow through would be aiming the annihilaser at their feet, and they're more than smart enough to know that.

They're not helping my opinion of them with this order of operations, however.  I dug pretty deep for this kickstarter; I don't know that I'd do it again.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #442 on: September 06, 2014, 02:36:12 pm »

They're not helping my opinion of them with this order of operations, however.  I dug pretty deep for this kickstarter; I don't know that I'd do it again.

Yes, PA was a sobering experience for me regarding kickstarter. Considering I don't like preordering in general, even when things go "well" as PA seems to have, I still feel like I would rather not do it again.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #443 on: September 06, 2014, 02:44:26 pm »
Yea, they did deliver a game.  I don't see it as a failure of kickstarter at all.  But it does sober my expectations for such projects in the future.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #444 on: September 06, 2014, 02:44:53 pm »
I think that's the attitude most people have with regards to kickstarter. I thought it was the greatest thing ever. Now I'm fairly meh about it. Same with early access.

If anybody has good vid links that show off the game feel free to link them here, would be nice to get a good feel for it. I like RTS games, but starcraft has always felt waaay too fast-paced for me, and there's not really many other options.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #445 on: September 06, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »
*Shrug*, it doesn't bother me any. They could have called it beta for another few months while they worked on releasing the offline single player aspect even though the rest of the game is fully playable, but they went ahead and decided to fully release it. I have no idea what their financial situation looks like, but it's not uncommon for indie companies to release games a bit early when they're running low on funds to keep their head above water while they continue to add features.

I have no regrets giving my $100 to them, I'd do it all over again if that's what they needed to complete the game; and I don't have a job. I have the fullest confidence that by this time next year, the game will be even more polished and amazing than it is right now. For a release though, on a game of this scale, I'd say they've done great work.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #446 on: September 06, 2014, 02:51:16 pm »
If anybody has good vid links that show off the game feel free to link them here, would be nice to get a good feel for it. I like RTS games, but starcraft has always felt waaay too fast-paced for me, and there's not really many other options.
At the end of the game, the stats reveal your average APM throughout the match. Mine is somewhere in the 5-7 range, if that tells you anything, and as a person who has been playing Total Annihilation (and spin offs) my whole life, I could probably beat 75% of the playerbase easily.

In Starcraft the average APM to be a decent player is well over 100.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #447 on: September 06, 2014, 03:05:18 pm »
Yea, offline concerns aside, I'm looking for reasons to like the game, not reasons to not like the game.  In the past I've found http://www.youtube.com/user/ZaphodX1 to be a good source of gameplay videos.  I'd recommend some specific ones but the last ones I watched personally were from a much earlier phase of development.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #448 on: September 06, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »

Seems someone has been stalking my Steam status lately. SMITE is an online multiplayer game. Doesn't really matter if there is DRM or not, this isn't a game I could pick up in 5-10 years and still enjoy then. This isn't AI War and I don't play it with the AI War mentality in mind. I go through phases where I latch onto a multiplayer experience and play a ton out of it, then, walk away. It's how it was with WOW, EVE, Tribes and now SMITE. At some point, I will be done with SMITE and move back to playing more "traditional" games for a while. SMITE isn't the most played game I have in my arsenal, though, if things continue as they have been into 2015, it may very well be. Who knows. I take issue with DRM in single-player experiences and as SMITE isn't one, well, there you go.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline GhoulMX

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #449 on: September 06, 2014, 03:54:30 pm »
I have the game. I really recomend it if you enjoy playing AI: WAR Fleet Command.  Planetary Anahilation is just as unique and fun.  Check it out!  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk