Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: Total Annihilation IN SPACE  (Read 135729 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Re: Planetary Annihilation: Total Annihilation IN SPACE
« Reply #300 on: June 16, 2013, 10:40:01 pm »
Yeah, okay, the alpha's really bad, but the people who assume things like, say, the developers are greedy, or that they COULD have priced it lower, and stuff like that. Those are the uninformed ignorant people that are making the community really look bad. I absolutely understand complaints and problems with the alpha's price, but the uninformed people who get really mad about it are the ones that I do not agree with.

It IS greedy, though, at its core.

Either they charge the high price so they don't backstab the kickstarters because they need the alpha members, or they charge the high price so they don't backstab the kickstarters because they want money.

I've heard they don't need any more alpha players. So why offer the alpha?

I can't think of a logical reason why to offer the alpha aside from profit.

You can say you don't have to buy the alpha...but at that point, you are on the same level of saying the company is greedy. I'm not disuputing their right to this model. However, I am also saying that if that wrecks your community for a little while, well, that is your PR disaster of using the pricing of one business model into another one.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:57:16 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #301 on: June 16, 2013, 10:57:26 pm »
I can't think of a logical reason why to offer the alpha.
A bunch of people asked them to.

I don't think it was a sufficient reason, but oh well.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #302 on: June 17, 2013, 10:01:38 am »
I don't think it's as big of a PR disaster as you guys are making it out to be. If people continue to buy from EA, Blizzard, and Riot, which are notoriously greedy companies, then they'll forgive the PA team if the game is good. If the game sucks well, they'll never live this down, but that is the consequence of such a risky market strategy.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #303 on: June 17, 2013, 10:03:40 am »
Oh yea, it's not gonna sink them, it's just definitely not the best foot forward right now.  If the game is of the legendary quality we're hoping for (and looks plausible, given the heritage, the intentions, and the talent on board) then this will probably just be remembered as one more bowel-related climatological event.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #304 on: June 17, 2013, 11:18:15 am »
Metacritic removed the PA page, good for them.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #305 on: June 17, 2013, 11:22:54 am »
Metacritic removed the PA page, good for them.
Ah, that's good.  It was kind of silly to have one when most of the feedback was not really about the game itself.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #308 on: June 17, 2013, 01:08:41 pm »
TB talks on the subject on today's Content Patch.

Can you give me the crib notes version? I hate videos.
Let me give you the crib notes version of TB's opinion on any controversial issue:

"Well, I can see it from both sides. The developer has some good points and the consumer has some good points. Let's hope that...Oh, hold on, I've gotta kill this guy (he always does these talks while in the middle of playing something)...anyway, we'll see how it turns out."

So basically, he said nothing.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #309 on: June 17, 2013, 01:13:24 pm »
Well, if he actually said that it would be saying something: that he doesn't agree with the "Uber is a bunch of greedy idiots" crowd or the "Uber's actions are perfect and spotless in this instance" position.

But more it would be saying that he doesn't want to take an offensive position.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #310 on: June 17, 2013, 01:17:08 pm »
TB talks on the subject on today's Content Patch.

Can you give me the crib notes version? I hate videos.
Let me give you the crib notes version of TB's opinion on any controversial issue:

"Well, I can see it from both sides. The developer has some good points and the consumer has some good points. Let's hope that...Oh, hold on, I've gotta kill this guy (he always does these talks while in the middle of playing something)...anyway, we'll see how it turns out."

So basically, he said nothing.

He actually said quite a bit on the subject. But the short version is that he doesn't agree with the assertion that the devs are being greedy and that he thinks that gamers are being entitled over the $90 issue. This is all I will say, watch the video for his full thoughts. I refuse to take someone else's thoughts out of context and this stretches my personal rules.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #311 on: June 17, 2013, 01:46:13 pm »
Yeah he doesn't express a particularly extreme opinion either way. Talks a little about the possibility of Uber just not putting up the alpha, but he also talks about the idea that maybe they really didn't have enough money. Talks about how double fine needed their own humble bundle even after a huge kickstarter.  He did bring up one major interesting point. At the time he made this video, Planetary Annihilation was on the top sellers list, around 3rd place. It's still pretty far up there even now, competing with Skyrim Complete. So basically, people who are complaining are really just a vocal majority and the game is actually selling really well. There's another important point he brought up that I really agree with; the metacritic thing. The idea that people who haven't played the game were able to rate the game based solely on its price, despite it even being an incomplete product. The user metacritic reviews were something that 'just made him sad' and to me it's actually downright shameful. You can hate it all you want, you can not buy it all you want, but how pathetic is it to cry to the heavens that it's a bad game when you don't know anything about it other than the price? Thankfully, the page has been taken down.

Regardless he talks about it for like 9 minutes so I'm not going to try to condense all of that down. Those were the points that stood out to me that weren't really discussed much here

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #312 on: June 17, 2013, 02:29:51 pm »
So basically he said: The consumers have some good points, and the developers have some good points, we'll see how it turns out (while playing a video game).

I didn't even watch the video and I knew he would do that, because his complete inability to ever take a side on something is pretty much what he's known for.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #313 on: June 17, 2013, 02:30:43 pm »
Quick poll everyone! "Is TB one of Wingflier's favorite people?"

;)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #314 on: June 17, 2013, 02:32:59 pm »
Quick poll everyone! "Is TB one of Wingflier's favorite people?"

;)
I don't mind TB, I just think listening to him ramble on about any given topic is a complete waste of time. I was just giving Mick a condensed version of what he said without having to listen to it. He's fine as a commentator in my experience.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk