Author Topic: Planetary Annihilation: Total Annihilation IN SPACE  (Read 135624 times)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
Re: Planetary Annihilation: Total Annihilation IN SPACE
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »
After having watched the video:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 01:08:16 pm »
Notice that the "video" is just CGI nonsense. Gameplay visualization means it's rendered in a 3D suite, not by an actual engine with actual gameplay logic. Still it looks pretty impressive, and if they pull this off and the mod-support is not a complete joke like SC1 or SC2 then maybe I will buy it when it is out :)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »
I'm afraid to pledge anything.. what if the game is buggier than an ant-hill.. like Sword of the Stars II. (Good thing I didn't buy SOTS 2. I might if all problems are fixed)

Think I'mma wait till it's (or if it is) released on Steam.
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 01:45:32 pm »
I'm afraid to pledge anything.. what if the game is buggier than an ant-hill.. like Sword of the Stars II. (Good thing I didn't buy SOTS 2. I might if all problems are fixed)
You could just pledge $1 or $5 or whatever you're willing to risk :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 01:59:04 pm »
I don't understand why you would wait. You don't end up contributing anything unless the campaign is successful, so pledging $20 now is exactly the same as pledging $20 when they hit $800 000, which is exactly the same as pledging $20 at any point in the entire life of the campaign...

No it is not.

If I send it at 800k there is a great likely hood they will make their goal and the money will achieve its full value.

If I send it early, the value of the good is uncertain, since the kickstarter may or may not be a success.

As Keith said, Kickstarters start with a huge rush, peter out toward the middle, then finish strong. I prefer to wait till the finishing stage, so I know exactly what I get.

I am not accusing the company the company of anything bad, but on the other hand, if the kickstarter is to get the game rolling, and the prize I get is to get the game, I will wait till I feel the kickstarter will 100% be a success. Otherwise, I will just wait till it is out and buy it then.

I'm a dunderhead and don't know things.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 02:18:54 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 02:03:08 pm »
If it's not funded will I get back my money?
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 02:06:18 pm »
If it's not funded will I get back my money?
If it's not funded your money never leaves your account.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 02:18:29 pm »
Oh...didn't know that.

Welp, erase all that earlier now known to be known nonsense.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 03:08:29 pm »
mod-support is not a complete joke like SC1 or SC2 then maybe I will buy it when it is out :)
SC2 maybe... SC1? How was the mod support a joke?
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »
Looks good...but we haven't had a good RTS in a long time...
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 05:06:18 pm »
Well, if the finished game takes its visual cues from TF2 the way the teaser video does, it might fix something that always bugged me about TA: a fantastic, polished, challenging game that lacked any sort of personality.

Ah, so my emotionless robot race defeated this other emotionless robot race. Fantastic.

This video actually reminds me a bit of a short story by Del Rey, where a race of robots exploded across the galaxy, propelled by fury, anger, and a very real hatred toward humanity. Their goal was to completely extinguish every trace of humans off the face of the universe. They colonized worlds, launched warships, multiplied by the trillions. Along the way, they subjugated alien races, but instead of reducing them to slaves or whatever, they ended up dramatically improving the lives of everyone they came in contact with, sharing technology and providing a common space for culture and peace to spread. This was fine, but it was of secondary concern to the robots, who merely wanted to eradicate their hated enemy.

In the end it turned out the humans both created the robots to seek and kill other humans, and then the dopes actually extinguished themselves. They were never a threat, and the robots were only carrying out their mechanical and emotional programming. The king robot is presented with evidence of this, and he just destroys it because it would undermine all the awesome good that their war-that-never-started was still bringing to the galaxy.

I love old robot and rocket stories from the 60s and 70s.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:07 pm »
mod-support is not a complete joke like SC1 or SC2 then maybe I will buy it when it is out :)
SC2 maybe... SC1? How was the mod support a joke?

The things that mattered were hard-coded... which is why you know of so many large SC1 mods ;p (Of which there aren't any...) although I guess you could script some things with lua, but you couldn't teach the AI to use these new things, so it was pointless. Worse, you couldn't fix the brain-dead unit AI ;/

SC2 fixed the unit AI with the awesome flow based movement, but had no real mod support... in the end, neither game drew in any large mod maker and so these games are dead.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:08:52 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 06:14:23 pm »
The most recent update to SC2 a few weeks ago helped the modding community quite a bit. Now custom games and mods are much more prominently displayed as an option and it's easier to get in games.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 06:22:06 pm »
Sadly most large mods are dead by now

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 01:50:29 am »
There were actually quite a few "large mods" for SC1. BlackOps being the most popular one with their improved commanders, balance changes and loads of new units. But some things were out of modding scope, which was annoying, to say the least. I didn't play much online though, only 10-20 games perhaps. Otherwise I played with friends.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk