Author Topic: New MMORTS: Novus AEterno - Releasing after Kickstarter  (Read 6578 times)

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: New MMORTS: Novus AEterno - Releasing after Kickstarter
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 01:34:11 am »
Only if it is made extremely clear that the player you are attacking is logged off and will have everything restored. Although, if the attacking player still gets any rewards (I don't know how the loot system will work, like an XP bonus or item salvage from destroyed ships or something) then it might be fair, so while the attacking player may lose units while the offline defender will not, the attacker also potentially gains stuff from the attack while the defender does not.

It might already work like this in the game, though, so if it did then that would be A-Okay by me.
Yep, these all are fair points.

Offline Alexian

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 03:01:48 am »

New questions:

1. How are you balancing the player progression? is it time-based or action-based? Or in other words, how can a new player keep up with someone who is playing for a year already? eve online does an awesome job at this, you will always be behind a veteran player overall, but you can catch up with him in a single aspect pretty fast. how are you dealing with this problem?

2. non-conset based pvp is awesome, when done right. and again i think eve does an awesome job at it - whil it technically allows pvp everywhere (you can shoot everytime at someone  else and kill him) it punishes you if you do it in certain areas (highsec).
if you dont implemnt such a ruleset people will constantly be at war - now this may be good if both forces are somewhat equal - but if a group of veterans decide to camp a galaxy of newbies, the fun ends pretty quickly. and i will take any bet that people will do this just to hug other people over... just imagine the havok groups like the goonsquad could do. have you thought about this?

3. following the second question: i read that you are safe on your home planet because of the fortress-shield (or whatever) so that you cant really lose the game (ala gameover), but what if a player beats me so far back that all i have is my homeplanet and he is settled on all the planets around me, blocking everything... what do i do now? i cant buld up enough fighting power to ever beat him from that single planet - the game is pretty much over for me at this point - no?

4. quick question: is a osx version planed? :)

so thanks for answering and good luck

Happy to answer all questions, keep them coming.

I want to post Update # 3 and we can do more details after that.
===============================================
We have received a lot of questions over the last few days regarding what happens to a player when he/she logs out of Novus AEterno.

When you log out of Novus AEterno, your empire will remain within the persistent universe. There are, however, a few systems put in place to prevent players from taking advantage of someone being offline.

(1) Overwatch When you have logged out of Novus AEterno, or if you are disconnected in any other way, your empire will be placed under the protection of an A.I. called Overwatch.

Overwatch will protect your empire from hostile players while you are offline. Between 15 to 30 minutes after the moment you logged off, any ships that were destroyed will be respawned in waves from your home planet at little to no cost to the player. You will be able to customize Overwatch to respond to specific events any way you see fit. But keep in mind, Overwatch will only act defensively.

(2) Planet Population A captured planet’s population grows over time with a percentage of the population automatically being converted to militia. The longer you control a planet, the larger your population of militia will be. These militia forces need to be defeated before another player can take over your planet.

(3) Fortress Shields All players start the game with a fortress shield protecting your starting planet and its immediate surrounding space. Anything within the fortress shield cannot be damaged. You can select a second planet to also be protected by a fortress shield. At least one planet must be protected by a fortress shield at any point during the game. This prevents a player from being completely knocked out of Novus AEterno.

Worst case scenario: When you return to the game, the only planets remaining will be those that are protected by your fortress shields. Your fleet will also be respawned so that you can use it to easily retake the planets that were lost while you were offline.

Last night’s livestream was awesome! Thank you all so much I had a great time and look forward to the next one!

We will be doing our next livestream on the 24th of November @ 8:00pm to 1:00am GMT. During this livestream, we will be making a big announcement that we are really excited about sharing with you guys. It involves a suggestion made by one of our backers that we really fell in love with and thought would be an awesome addition to Novus AEterno. We have already started working on it and will be testing it live on the stream!

LiveStream:
24th of November @ 8:00pm to 1:00am GMT
http://www.twitch.tv/NovusAeterno

We also have a few additional really awesome and “top secret” surprises up our sleeves.

You will not want to miss out on this one!
==============================================================

1. Player progression -
Plenty of space allows for players to be spawned in starting areas with room to grow.
The fortress shield allows you to keep your fleets within a safety bubble - think EVE shields without need for fuel or the Endor moon generator around the DeathStar without agitated natives...
While research takes time to unlock EVERYTHING you can specialize down certain trees and specialize in hull types and weaponry etc.. and become effective at fielding fleets that make an impact quite quickly.
I will post more about player progression as the KickStarter progresses.

2. Constant warfare empire building and griefing the noobes.
Eve's Goonsquad and centralized imperial equivalents prosper by having defensible boarders or limited travel routes accessing 'their' space. Their space being an artificially limited section of 'unlimited' space. Novus has no such limitation, there is no fixed map of jump gates linking a finite set of systems. Space is truly unlimited - (I have personally scrolled for an hour and watched the procedurally generated universe of systems unfold.

The travel in Novus is more rapid (FTL) and far reaching. As such, you can transport your items and infrastructure to other regions of space away from territorial power plays made by a faction. This allows you to move closer to your friends or have a distributed and decentralized Empire as you choose. Or pickup and travel like a nomad - leapfrogging systems and finding your way as an exploration and pioneering empire. **Though I'd recommend building out a few systems for economic development and fleet building capacity as you do so as a supply base.**

Reminder:
You can have two fortress shields active at a time (possibly more later) and can configure 'turning them on or off' you cannot "suicide" as you must have one operational at a minimum. These can be in different solar systems.

Again with endless space there is plenty of room to maneuver and you can initiate long distance travel faster than light to move fleets, infrastructure and goods and resources from your base 'under siege' to another more favorable location (elsewhere) quite quickly and easily.
As you've been trained on EVE their isn't "gate camping", and "station camping", or "chokepoints" between systems that regulate travel. My personal experience of NA combat has been hit and run geurilla raids and sprawling fleet actions that are resupplied and as new forces jump in warp and flow across several systems in an open map style.

In EVE you have "safe spots" beyond the traditional warp travel routes between planets and stations adn gates,  that are hard for other players to "scan you down in" .... In NA you have distant systems to jump to and rebuild and replenish in - space is actually infinite, plenty of space to hide in if you choose. Although being remote has it's own challenges.

4. OSX? Yes - but later tm. We will launch on Windows PC and on Steam. I am sure we'll have a minimum and recommended spec posted soon. I will follow up on windows emulator performance for those on Linux and Mac OSX.

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 10:22:04 pm »
This is sounding very good. I look forward to release.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk