Author Topic: Left 4 Dead, and FPSes in general (split as OT)  (Read 6551 times)

Offline Revenantus

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Hero Member Mark III
Re: Left 4 Dead, and FPSes in general (split as OT)
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 02:06:15 pm »
I'm just about to download the L4D2 demo; I have to say that some of the more cliched melee weapons (i.e. the chainsaw) are the main things making me dubious about the sequel. The increased variation in level design and special zombies is appealing though.

On a related note, the PC version of Borderlands is fantastic. Imagine Diablo 2 from a first person perspective, but with more guns, and you have the basic mechanics of the game sorted. Pandora (the game's setting) is hugely immersive - I'll post a review after I've had a bit more time with it.

Offline Megagun

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 06:50:08 pm »
I'm just about to download the L4D2 demo; I have to say that some of the more cliched melee weapons (i.e. the chainsaw) are the main things making me dubious about the sequel. The increased variation in level design and special zombies is appealing though.

On a related note, the PC version of Borderlands is fantastic. Imagine Diablo 2 from a first person perspective, but with more guns, and you have the basic mechanics of the game sorted. Pandora (the game's setting) is hugely immersive - I'll post a review after I've had a bit more time with it.
L4D2 seems a lot more polished than L4D, and will surely bring a lot more variety into a game that for many has grown stale and repetitive, so I'm willing to say that it'll be a lot better than the original L4D. I'm not too fond of the new survivors, though. But the new weapons and items (boomer bile, adrenaline) are really nice.

Regarding borderlands; I disliked the field of view (what is it, 60? On a widescreen monitor, that's epically annoying, especially since I run most of my games at fov 110 or 120) and all other obvious console-itises. It's like they had this red shiny button saying "Pack and release for PC" and hit it without doing any usability testing with real people. I do not like that. Makes me feel like they're only doing it all for the money and don't really care much for their product.

Offline Volatar

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Patient as a rock
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2009, 11:52:39 pm »
Regarding borderlands; I disliked the field of view (what is it, 60? On a widescreen monitor, that's epically annoying, especially since I run most of my games at fov 110 or 120) and all other obvious console-itises. It's like they had this red shiny button saying "Pack and release for PC" and hit it without doing any usability testing with real people. I do not like that. Makes me feel like they're only doing it all for the money and don't really care much for their product.

The online coop support is also horrid I hear.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 11:30:55 am »
I am looking forward to borderlands also, but may go for it on the ps3. For me, it is nice to get away from the pc from time to time, since that is where I spend most of my waking hours. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 05:53:34 pm »

Yes. I love the game, but most of the options (Especially in the graphics area, like FOV, particle effects, etc) you can only configure in the .ini files (Which most people won't know how to do) and the menu system is piss poor and glitchy. We're on a PC, so where's the PC specific options, like pressing shift to buy multiple of an item, stuff like that? It's been mildly entertaining for a while, but it was really only ever there to hold me over until L4D2 comes out.

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 09:23:48 am »
For those of you who are cool and live on the East Coast, L4D2 comes out at midnight tonight. Who's going to be playing with me?  ;D

Offline raptor331

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2009, 07:48:56 am »
unfortunately my computer cant handle any fps, its very weak but atleast it can handle rts, but still there are days where I wish that I could once again slaughter elites in halo :l

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2009, 12:19:12 pm »
Borderlands:  This was on my Watch list and I bought it when it was released.  Sadly it didn't live up to expectation.  It turned out to be a half-arsed console port (and that's being generous) with very, very samey gameplay.  Multi-player did nothing to save it as on single-player it was deeply dull anyway.  Doubtless it looked lovely but pretty environments do not a great game make.  It felt a lot like Farcry: beautiful locations but very shallow gameplay.  Ah well.

Left 4 Dead 2:  A glorious romp through the Zombie Apocalypse and I will brook no comment to the contrary.  Good looking with lashings of gameplay.  End of.
Atmospheric & Lithospheric Reticulator,
Post-accretion Protoplanet Aesthetic Seeding Team,
Celestial Body Design & Procurement Division,
Magrathea Pan-Galactic Planets Corp.,
Magrathea.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2009, 12:48:25 pm »
For me, it will be borderlands on the ps3. L4d2 was on the pc, of course. Personally I lobed the first far cry (on pc for me), and the second far cry (on ps3 for me) even more. It has it's faults, like all games, but it was my favorite shooter of 2008 by a fair margin.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 03:55:20 pm »
I am actually enjoying Borderlands (I being patient split my game into three with friends, two level 30's and one on second playthrough).  Of course, I agree with I-KP where he/she indicates it was more of a console port than a convenient PC updated game.

Though, I sure enjoyed the first part of the game better than the last (Skags, more MMORPG style; reminds me somewhat of my old MapleStory).
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk