Author Topic: Is anyone here playing RimWorld?  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
Re: Is anyone here playing RimWorld?
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 11:43:59 am »
Even with the sniper rifle, just give it to a guy with high enough shooting skill and he usually doesn't shoot his friend. Usually. It still happens, but I mean, shooting guns under pressure is hard.

I play with Classic Cassandra or whatever the default one is called, on rough difficulty. It keeps the game !!fun!!, since you have some really bad events that come by, but most of them can be avoided or minimized with good planning.

Oh, and cover is a thing. So make sure your guys are behind cover and the enemies are more exposed. It makes combat way easier.
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 11:55:00 am »
Even with the sniper rifle, just give it to a guy with high enough shooting skill and he usually doesn't shoot his friend. Usually. It still happens, but I mean, shooting guns under pressure is hard.

I play with Classic Cassandra or whatever the default one is called, on rough difficulty. It keeps the game !!fun!!, since you have some really bad events that come by, but most of them can be avoided or minimized with good planning.

Oh, and cover is a thing. So make sure your guys are behind cover and the enemies are more exposed. It makes combat way easier.
not that anybody typically shoots their allies (unless of course there standing in the way in which case it should be pretty simple logic not to do that) but regardless of gun skill nobody's seems to be able to hit anything even my highest pawn at 13 couldn't hit a single thing properly.
now granted hitting anything in real life with a sniper rifle is really really hard if you don't have a spotter to calibrate wind speeds and so on but I think it would be mechanically better if it was toned down a bit unless this is just a weird bug I'm experiencing ill ask about it on the sf and see for my self on this note.
c.r

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 12:19:17 pm »
My guys have shot their friends so many times it isn't even funny. That's why I have a rule that no one gets melee weapons when ranged weapons are in play, because someone will lose an eye (Again).

How far away (roughly) are your guys when they're shooting? That might be part of the problem. Try moving them closer or further away and see what happens to the accuracy. It appears that the RNG Gods love me and give me the most amazing accuracy, but apparently that isn't normal.

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 12:26:56 pm »
My guys have shot their friends so many times it isn't even funny. That's why I have a rule that no one gets melee weapons when ranged weapons are in play, because someone will lose an eye (Again).

How far away (roughly) are your guys when they're shooting? That might be part of the problem. Try moving them closer or further away and see what happens to the accuracy. It appears that the RNG Gods love me and give me the most amazing accuracy, but apparently that isn't normal.
1 yes sending your melee warriors out is a terrible idea I usually keep close by my range pawns to defend them if anybody gets to close.

2 usually about 8 to 10 blocks away from what ever there firing at I don't know if that's what I'm actually meant to be doing or weather I'm meant to be closer but its just what makes sense to me.
I'm probably thinking to much of it like a real sniper rifle and not a video game sniper rifle though
id like to think there more accurate the farther way they are in game though that's probably not the case.
c.r

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 12:32:34 pm »
I think most of the confusion is it isn't actually a sniper rifle. If I remember correctly, it is a survival rifle. Which is basically a hunting rifle. A sniper rifle wouldn't usually leave too terribly much of the target left to eat. A hunting rifle fires small enough rounds that it kills, but doesn't destroy or penetrate thicker armor.

So basically, you want to be at about mid range to get the most effectiveness out of the rifle, from a realism standpoint. Much further and the round drops a lot or the wind moves it, much closer and you realise why rifles aren't for close quarter combat.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 12:41:35 pm »
I think most of the confusion is it isn't actually a sniper rifle. If I remember correctly, it is a survival rifle. Which is basically a hunting rifle. A sniper rifle wouldn't usually leave too terribly much of the target left to eat. A hunting rifle fires small enough rounds that it kills, but doesn't destroy or penetrate thicker armor.

So basically, you want to be at about mid range to get the most effectiveness out of the rifle, from a realism standpoint. Much further and the round drops a lot or the wind moves it, much closer and you realise why rifles aren't for close quarter combat.
I'm talking about a weapon which literally has the title of sniper rifle I think I was fairly clear about that.
also from a realism point the accuracy does make sense since if your pawn isn't to use them persificly then using them as intended(from miles away) is as I mentioned before pretty dam hard.
still mechanically I think its okay at the moment since raids aren't in my experience difficult to deal with provided you've got rocks to use as cover.
c.r

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 08:14:25 am »
I played it a lot, and basically... I think I finished it - after 200-300 hours including cassandra / randy extreme.

The start is hard because, even if improved, the game is unfair. Cassandra always hits where it hurts the most so it's very, very predictable, to the point that later in the game she stops sending raids because they just get slaughtered. Randy doesn't care, but it's not much harder.

Thing is that the game is meant for a group of 6-8 active pawns and until you get to that critical mass, you can't do much. Once it's attained, you're basically invicible save for the "go to bed you've got flu / malaria / plague" event. So the "second" critical mass is 12 people. With that many, it's next to impossible to lose, whatever the difficulty level.

It's just a slow grind until you get whatever objectives you've set to yourself - and generally 2/3 of the game is still unresearched at this point. Main issue I have with this game is that reaching the critical mass where you're just waiting for the game to end is very, very early in the game. Most research are completely unneeded to make a stable colony. In addition, after a few hours you'd have a good idea on how to respond to events, and after a few games, you'll have a few patterns which allow 6 of your colonist to down an entire 50+ enemy raid, given appropriate weapons.

It's still a very enjoyable game while you're learning the mechanics, quite intuitive, and the modding community is very active. Some mod are very, very good addition to the game, like petfollow or hospitality. I can't really say, even if it's my main issue with it, that it has low replayability, because on one side, it has, and on the other side, I played multiple hundreds of hours of it.

PS: and melee isn't a thing. Ranged weapons >> melee weapons.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 08:23:27 am by kasnavada »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk