Author Topic: I was right.  (Read 8827 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: I was right.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 09:01:30 pm »
Interesting.  Well, someone may start researching it.  There are currently 80 different vaccines in the works around the world for Covid-19 as of yesterday, in various stages of work and with information sharing between them.

My wife is staying on a bit longer on the Internal Review Board at her institution since there's a whole lot of Covid-19 research coming through the pipe all of a sudden and they need people to oversee it.  She was supposed to be out of that starting this month, but she has a long history with it and there's so much relevant research that is rapidly starting up that it's worth doing.

There's a lot of interesting things happening, and with the former head of the CDC pointing out the superbugs that everyone has been aware of for a long time in hospitals anyway... maybe that will also get some funding.  Hopefully before it gets too many people.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 10:32:14 am »
It wouldn't help against COVID-19 itself, of course. Just the secondary infections.

* Draco18s pokes around a bit

Seems that there's been one clinical trial (in the US) so far.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2725218

Was approved a year ago, but I don't see any outcome/results listed anywhere.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 11:44:13 am »
From the trending part of the sidebar, later that year: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2737658

A pediatric patient with cystic fibrosis and a double-lung transplant received a genetically engineered 3-phage cocktail to treat a life-threatening antibiotic-resistant Mycobacterium abscessus infection for which all standard therapeutic options had been exhausted. Over 7 months of twice-daily intravenous infusions, as well as daily topical phage therapy, the 15-year-old patient’s surgical wound and skin lesions healed gradually and her lung and liver function improved. No adverse reactions to the treatment were reported.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 04:33:27 pm »
From the trending part of the sidebar, later that year: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2737658

A pediatric patient with cystic fibrosis and a double-lung transplant received a genetically engineered 3-phage cocktail to treat a life-threatening antibiotic-resistant Mycobacterium abscessus infection for which all standard therapeutic options had been exhausted. Over 7 months of twice-daily intravenous infusions, as well as daily topical phage therapy, the 15-year-old patient’s surgical wound and skin lesions healed gradually and her lung and liver function improved. No adverse reactions to the treatment were reported.

Nice. Must have missed seeing it.
Definitely a "single test subject" trial, which is a long way off from a wide-spectrum treatment.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 08:01:04 pm »
Yeah, I don't even know what kind of trial that is.  A human trial, but not general stage 3.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk