Author Topic: Freeware?  (Read 7771 times)

Offline raptor331

Freeware?
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:13:11 pm »
I know of a few freeware games, some are pretty good, like Counter Strike 2d, or BOS wars. Sadly i cant play any of the fps, my computers to weak. I figured i ought to start a thread about freeware for those of you gamers who very cheap.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Freeware?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 10:18:47 pm »
Personally, my favorite freeware game in recent memory is An Untitled Story, a metroidvania-style platformer that Lars turned me on to earlier in the year.  Wonderful level design there.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline raptor331

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 10:20:41 pm »
never heard of that one, guess ill have to look into it.

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 12:22:46 am »
Course I know Freeware, I'm a Linux user after all :) There's a lot that I'm a fan of, so I guess it depends on what Genre we're talking specifically.

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 03:50:51 am »
 :D

(most of 'em are free)

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 07:39:50 am »

(most of 'em are free)

Which are your favourites?

Offline Fiskbit

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Master Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 07:50:04 am »
Darn, Chris, you beat me to An Untitled Story. :P Definitely worth playing through; I hope everyone here gives it a try.

I've not played this one yet, but Within a Deep Forest looks like a pretty neat game. I've heard good things about it and intend to play through it sometime soon.

While I suspect it is probably not the cup of tea of most people in general, I'm a huge fan of I Wanna Be The Guy, a brutal freeware game where nearly everything can kill you. It features a lot of NES game settings, which is pretty neat, and it has a pretty decent number of secrets to uncover.

Another neat freeware game is Gravitron, but I warn you that the file supposedly contains some form of adware, much to the confusion of the guy who wrote it. For those who care about that (hopefully everyone) but still want to give it a try, you could try running it inside of a sandbox. I recommend sandboxie, a largely freeware app (has a 5 second nag after a month) for running potentially malicious software such as this, though it only works in XP. Ignoring any potential adware issues, Gravitron is a pretty fun game in the spirit of Gravitar, a fantastic Asteroids-with-gravity arcade game from the early 80's. Gravitron 2 looks absolutely phenomenal, but it's not free. Based on the trailers, though, it's probably one worth picking up, if this sort of game appeals to you.

Some others that come to mind that I've not put much time into, but really intend to get to soon, are Battleships Forever, Spelunky, Eversion, and Warning Forever.

That's it for now. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Kjara

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:40:37 am »
Within a deep forest is fun, as are his other games Knitt and Knitt stories (even though they are pretty easy(well not some of the downloadable quests for knitt stories) and generally light hearted).

I've heard good things about La-Mulana as well, but haven't tried it yet.  Cave story is also good.

No in the same genre as the rest of these, but Dwarf fortress is great fun.

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 11:09:43 am »
Incidentally, Scary Girl is good!

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:40:48 pm »

(most of 'em are free)

Which are your favourites?

Top game: Spelunky, without question my favorite game of 2009.
Other top choices: Cave Story, Alien Assault, DoomRL, Knytt Stories, Transcendence, Chex Quest

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 01:50:00 pm »
Track Mania nations is like electronic crack, though some may not consider it "Freeware" seeing as there is a paid version of the game as well.

Dwarf Fortress is fun if you can get into it, and Nethack is definitely one of the better Rogue-Likes I've played. ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery) is also pretty good as far as Rogue-Likes go.

Step Mania is possibly the most well developed freeware titles I've ever seen, and is a great alternative if you're a DDR nut like myself.

Globulation (Technically Globulation 2 now) is one of the most interesting RTS's I've ever played. I hope more concepts like that make it into commercial games. As far as freeware RTS's go though, Total Ahnilation: Spring is absolutely the most well made and solid of any I've played. Very well done (Game uses OpenGL and was doing full fluid dynamic water years ago, and DirectX 11 is only now claiming to do that) and a great modding community. The client even has a built in BitTorrent client for downloading maps and mods.

Of all the freeware/open source FPS's I've played that claim to be "Quake-Like", Warsow is definitely one of the better ones.

FreeCiv is good if you want a free alternative to Civilization. Its closer to Civilization 2 than anything, but thats certainly not a bad thing.

I've got to get to class now, but I'm sure I'll come up with some more suggestions later :)

Offline raptor331

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:53:59 pm »
I've tried untitled story it wouldn't work for some reason btw I think it might be a good idea to post the links for people who might be interested Bos Wars: www.boswars.org and for for counter strike 2d I'm afraid you would have to google that one because the home page wont even give it to you directly. I also heard of this awesome game, it was an rts with the most amazing ai, i think it was called ai wars, any body ever heard of it :P

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 07:14:31 am »
I've tried untitled story it wouldn't work for some reason btw I think it might be a good idea to post the links for people who might be interested Bos Wars: www.boswars.org and for for counter strike 2d I'm afraid you would have to google that one because the home page wont even give it to you directly. I also heard of this awesome game, it was an rts with the most amazing ai, i think it was called ai wars, any body ever heard of it :P

Yeah but the guy who makes that is a skinflint who charges you through the nose for it!

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 07:21:41 pm »

Yeah but the guy who makes that is a skinflint who charges you through the nose for it!

Yeah, its literally infinitely more expensive than some of the other RTS's I play, damn! ;D

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 11:31:45 pm »

Yeah, its literally infinitely more expensive than some of the other RTS's I play, damn! ;D

For me, it's 1/3 the cost of most of the RTSes I play. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk