Author Topic: Finally got myself a new monitor...the reaction was only natural.  (Read 17159 times)

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
Re: Finally got myself a new monitor...the reaction was only natural.
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 02:05:36 pm »
Yeah you can be lucky or you can be unlucky, for giggles you could start AI War 1 or a game that has 4:3, on my new screen I noticed that I can't even see text inside the small windows (too small), and full-screening dosbox.. yikes , then you can read stuff, but you better enjoy black bars.... and 4x larger pixels although it still looks pretty good with no filtering ;/

Such fancy screens, not just wide-AR, are always gonna hit one or two issues you never thought about. For older games (Specifically older Anno games come to mind) it's not AR support, it's the size of the GUI elements (they scale down the wider the AR is.... ) in Anno 2050 for example, the build menu occupies around 3% of the screen, really iffy to use that. And the money indicator is at the top left, but you only see what an item costs at the mouse pointer build location. So yeah, ups and downs ;/ I debated for a while whether ot get wide-ar or normal AR, and my laziness in not wanting to move my head resulted in a "standard" 16:9 (2560x1440@144hz though) and speaking of HZ, japanese console ports handle non-standard AR and refresh usually extremely badly.

Oh well, enjoy your screen ;) Hopefully it will last you many a year.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:12:45 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 05:55:50 am »
Yeah, Terraria looks ok on this monitor, but I was disappointed with how they handle the resolution. The scaling is insane. The player sprite is like 10 cms high. XD It's a perfect example of a game that does not handle this gracefully.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 06:12:09 am »
Just tested AI War, btw. It wasn't too bad. It just doesn't make very good use of the increased viewfield. (lots of empty space). But nothing was so small I couldn't read it and nothing was blurry. Tbh, it's one of the games that rather gracefully handles the increased resolution. Not sure what your problem was with AIW?

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 08:37:17 am »
Got myself now a new monitor too. My old one didn't work on my new pc. Ugh, so much money in such a short amount of time.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 01:19:23 pm »
Got myself now a new monitor too. My old one didn't work on my new pc. Ugh, so much money in such a short amount of time.
Yeah, tell me about it. I mean, sure, mine wasn't a required purchase (it was strictly luxury) but it still stung. I was considering a 4K monitor first, because I would've loved to have the extra desktop space to work on. But since I play games as a hobby, running a 4K monitor on anything recent, requires at the very least a 1080 Ti, preferrably two.

That, plus monitor, would've cost me almost $2500. Not. Happening.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 06:06:18 am »
Just tested AI War, btw. It wasn't too bad. It just doesn't make very good use of the increased viewfield. (lots of empty space). But nothing was so small I couldn't read it and nothing was blurry. Tbh, it's one of the games that rather gracefully handles the increased resolution. Not sure what your problem was with AIW?

Maybe because of 2560x1440 but I found the text to be pretty dang small for relaxed playing ;/

Then again, I run 90% of websites at 120% zoom and have changed my opinion about what a acceptable font size in GUI's is quite a lot since I got this screen.... (my good old CRT died.. after only 10 years continuous use .. sigh)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 02:52:45 pm »

Maybe because of 2560x1440 but I found the text to be pretty dang small for relaxed playing ;/

Then again, I run 90% of websites at 120% zoom and have changed my opinion about what a acceptable font size in GUI's is quite a lot since I got this screen.... (my good old CRT died.. after only 10 years continuous use .. sigh)

I'm at 3440x1440 (and also getting goddamn old), but I actually found the text size to be completely legible. (Something which can't be said for the summary below the posting window, holy balls that's ant-sized text on this monitor). Some games tend to overcompensate with the scaling though. I can't remember one of the top of my head (I've tested like 50+ games in the last week or so), but some games really blow the letters up to ridiculus proportions at this resolution. "Oh you have a large monitor, better turn it into a freaking billboard so you can read it from across the street!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk