Author Topic: Distant Worlds - worth trying out?  (Read 6703 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
Distant Worlds - worth trying out?
« on: May 29, 2016, 08:31:09 am »
Since its on steam sale for 60% off, I'm thinking its time to try this one out. I've been watching Stellaris and reading a lot of comparison reviews between these two games. Since I normally wait for sales to buy (non-Arcen) games it may be awhile before I pick up Stellaris. Hopefully by then some of the issues with it will be fixed. But DW:U has been really strongly recommended over Stellaris in a lot of places, which surprised me because back when I checked out DW before it didn't sound that great. Have they just fixed its issues with patches/expansions?

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Distant Worlds - worth trying out?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 10:00:01 am »
If you haven't already, take a quick peek at some previous threads that mention it, like this one:
The worst space game ever?

To summarize my opinion - It's fun, but has issues, mostly in the interface and complexity fronts.  The community and devs give the game good support, though, and things have improved over time.  I haven't played in over a year, but I don't regret purchasing it.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 11:34:09 am »
I think I have it on my wishlist waiting for extreme discount. I'm not willing to spend more than $10 for a space RTS unless I'm going to be reasonably assured that I'll enjoy it.

Both Distant Worlds and Stellaris give me some reservations, so I haven't picked up either.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 02:10:51 pm »
I checked out the thread and a few others elsewhere and I'm still having trouble sorting out reviews that aren't based on the latest expansions and patches. It doesn't help that the DW:U reviews found in Stellaris reviews make DW:U out to be amazing compared to Stellaris. I think I need to find a recent let's play or something of DW:U.

Incidentally, I've had DW:U on my wishlist since sept. 2014 and this ($23.99 which is 60% off) is the lowest its ever been since I've been watching. Price-wise, I don't expect it to drop much below that price point for the next few years at least. Lasts only until tomorrow :( .

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:50:50 pm »
I will attempt to relate what I think about Distant Worlds is, and isn't.

The first thing you will feel about Distant Worlds is that it puts the Grand in Grand Strategy Games. The universe feels unimaginably huge. You start small, but eventually your civilization will grow so large that you simply cannot manage it alone. Conflicts feel both tense and out-of-reach. You will see a helpless trader or distant world (sorry) fall victim to raids by pirates. You will fear seeing a distant alert of a enemy fleet baring down on one of your economic power houses.

It is the closest I feel a emperor of a galactic civilization would feel. If you try to pay attention to every little thing you will face information overload. You have to delegate it to the AI. Said AI is not awful nor great. Your attitude toward this fact will determine your enjoyment of the game.

If you think a growing empire will grow inefficient not due to arbitrary values but rather just poor decisions of governors (in the form of AI) then DW is fun. If you think it is annoying then the game is lost.

The game is the only strategy game that makes half an attempt to simulate civilians in a meaningful way. That I find unique.

This is not a micro game, just to reinforce the point home. Strategy is telling your fleet where to go. Your individual commands in combat are probably going to be detrimental more then an asset.

I could write more but I hope I have given a glimpse of what this game is.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:28:54 pm »
Incidentally, I've had DW:U on my wishlist since sept. 2014 and this ($23.99 which is 60% off) is the lowest its ever been since I've been watching. Price-wise, I don't expect it to drop much below that price point for the next few years at least. Lasts only until tomorrow :( .
At that price, if you are going to play it soon, then it's probably the best choice out there.  Stellaris will probably need another 6 months to a year, and a DLC or two, to get fleshed out enough to be a good game - right now, it's pretty bare bones.

On the other hand, if you aren't going to play the game anytime soon, just wait.  It probably won't go on sale for cheaper, but it looks like it goes on sale every couple of months at this point (Jan, Mar, Jun this year) so you'll be able to pick it up later for the same price.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:30:49 pm »
Thanks for that quick summary. I think I'm going to let the combat system decide it for me, since that's the part I'm most interested in generally, and Endless Space made me very wary of combat systems. If I can build my fleet of whatever type I generally want and be successful (fighters or mostly missile ships, or close beam ships, or whatever) and the weapon techs I unlock matter beyond +x damage, then I'm happy. If I'm stuck building type X ships or its some stupid RPS ship system, I'll pass.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 07:12:21 pm »
Thanks for that quick summary. I think I'm going to let the combat system decide it for me, since that's the part I'm most interested in generally, and Endless Space made me very wary of combat systems. If I can build my fleet of whatever type I generally want and be successful (fighters or mostly missile ships, or close beam ships, or whatever) and the weapon techs I unlock matter beyond +x damage, then I'm happy. If I'm stuck building type X ships or its some stupid RPS ship system, I'll pass.

There are mods that cover this pretty well. If you focus your tech research toward a "goal" the generic ships roles will more or less follow through with that goal. So if for example you focus on carrier craft and build enough carriers they will do their thing automatically. If you focus on missiles they will stay at range, melee ships get close, etc. Don't expect precise kitting, but do expect for the ships to go through the motions.

If you want the absolute fastest method to figure out combat load up a scenario. You will have NO idea what is going on, but since your ships are automated they will soon enough fight something. Watch how the fight unfolds and you will get a rapid idea how the combat plays out.

Also: Pirates. This is the only game I have ever feared them. It is mildly mandatory you have to bribe the first one you meet so you can grow in peace. In mid game you can eliminate their bases (after first finding them by spies), but in late game when you are rich they almost become privateers that protect your empire while harassing the enemy. It is enjoyable how I organically stop hunting them and starting hiring them because it is cheaper to contract the "protection" out so my own military can actually do things, meanwhile "my" pirates will kill "enemy" pirates so they keep getting paid.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 07:14:08 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 04:24:07 am »
Stellaris will likely be the crowned king of 4x in the future. Right now it's pretty skeletal.

As for Distant Worlds...I remember that "worst space game ever" thread mentioning DW to be pretty piss poor.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk