Author Topic: *Pours gasoline over the Universe and sets it on fire.*  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: *Pours gasoline over the Universe and sets it on fire.*
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 07:48:52 pm »
I have plugged it in and turned it on.
I popped the case open first and found that one of the fans on the stock cooler popped off (flimsy clips).  The side panel is a huge pony to put back on though.

The machine does run and nothing appears janked (booted into windows, had full resolution, keyboard and mouse worked, internet worked), but I did not try to stress-test it at all.  I am unsure how to go about doing this.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 01:15:15 am »
I have plugged it in and turned it on.
I popped the case open first and found that one of the fans on the stock cooler popped off (flimsy clips).  The side panel is a huge pony to put back on though.

The machine does run and nothing appears janked (booted into windows, had full resolution, keyboard and mouse worked, internet worked), but I did not try to stress-test it at all.  I am unsure how to go about doing this.

Best way to stress test GPU/CPU would be 3dmark nowadays... it has a stress testing mode (not just a benchmark mode) but it costs money (on steam..)

And as for the case, well, no idea what to tell you there, depends on your mood I guess ;p I'd just want my money back at that point, but if all else is working properly....

« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:16:57 am by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 11:29:00 am »
Mmm. Pretty much what I want at this point is an apology and a new case.  If the side panel wasn't so devilishly hard to reattach I'd probably even say to hell with a new case.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 05:05:57 pm »
Mmm. Pretty much what I want at this point is an apology and a new case.  If the side panel wasn't so devilishly hard to reattach I'd probably even say to hell with a new case.

can't hurt to ask ;) But new case also means you gonna have to do all that stuff yourself.. moving entire hardware to a new case is not the fun kind of weekend action ;) Although you could probably check for additional damage while at it. Potential cracks where the screws connect particularly. Or do you plan on sending it back a 2nd time? ;p

That said I am still baffled how that damage could even happen...

Reminds me of a story in a hardware shop where I was hanging around, boss wants to show me fancy new "deco" case and rips the front face, with plastic fasteners snapping off and breaking as first thing.... he literally held the entire front face with all the plastic pins broken in his hand and was quite stumped ^^ Turns out there was a plastic pin that locked it, and his trainee locked it for transport, as he was supposed to. ;P

Point being, stuff can happen, but a good shop will never renege from responsibility. Happy customers come back. But in your case, I'd probably not assume you ever become a happy customer at that place ;P
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 09:55:04 pm »
I called them this morning (after having issues with my cell reception, which I've been trying to report to Verizon for months).  There was no pushback from them, the woman straight up said "we'll send you a new case" once she knew who I was.  She wanted to know if I only needed one of the panels or the whole case, which would've been nice if I only needed one of the panels, but unfortunately the damage is on the main body.

But yeah, the process of moving all the bits over is going to be a "fun" weekend, but I'm fine doing it.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 03:44:41 pm »
Best way to stress test GPU/CPU would be 3dmark nowadays...

Ran the free version of 3D mark and it told me there was an error:
"Unable to connect to the web to display your results."

Seriously?  There's no way to view the results without connecting to the internet? hug.  (And yes, the machine is not internet enabled at the moment, it's kinda in the boonies of the house).

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 06:18:59 pm »
Heh, yeah.. that is a thing with 3D Mark nowadays ^^ It generates a web-page for your results on their cloud doohickey.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2016, 01:12:43 pm »
So I got the replacement case Wednesday (made sure it was fine).  Being lazy I didn't get around to "moving the parts" until this morning.

I then got to the part where I'm attaching the new, bigger, beastlier CPU cooler.

The screws are too short.

WHY!?

I called Zalman's tech support line and apparently this happened to a lot of people (the tech mentioned as such). The bracket was either manufactured wrong or doesn't fit all boards or...something.  They're going to ship me a different bracket, which I won't get until probably Wednesday.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2016, 01:44:46 pm »
Well you know you have a golden moment interesting tech nightmare when it just keeps on giving and giving ;) Already a month and still no working computer.. baffling

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2016, 01:51:57 pm »
Went to the hardware and bought some screws.  They're the same diameter, roughly, as the ones that came with the cooler, although both are smaller than the hole in the motherboard.  Should be OK though.

Didn't do any setup work yet today, only 3 pieces of hardware left (ram, case fan, hard drive) and then it's onto the !!Fun!! of setting up Windows.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 11:09:01 pm »
!!Fun!! continues.

I went out and bought a 4TB drive as I realized I could really use the space.  Spent the time migrating a ton of stuff from one drive to another, then user data from another drive back to the first one (this'll let me ditch two 500gb drives entirely).  Broke the "migrate user folder" action again (I've had it work the first time exactly once, so I was more than prepared to undo and retry).

This afternoon my user profile got corrupted (huff) and spent 2 hours doing a hard drive verification (no issues). Fine, delete the user account, recreate it, put all my user data over (moving files is fast, copying files is slow).  Bleh.  I swear it was Windows Update that broke it.  I was restarting and logging in just fine until I enabled Windows Update (even though it never installed anything because I set it to "let me chose").

Also discovered some problems in making Windows see my H drive as the default program files directory rather than C (I'd make it the D drive, but I don't feel like re-lettering drives right now), but I worked those out (basically: copy all C:\Program Files ... files over to H:\Program Files).  I'll skip this next time, not worth the effort; its annoying to say "no, D drive, not C" every time I install something, but this change only effects half half of all software anyway (and breaks some Windows built-in applications).

Had to uninstall and reinstall a handful of applications as a result, but it's fixed now.

As a side note, I discovered that Microsoft's own website doesn't function at 100% under IE8 (which is the default browser on Windows 7).  I actually had to download a few things in Firefox (IE 10 then informed me that it wasn't applicable to my system, wtf) which normally Microsoft's site will turn its nose up at and say "no no no, you must use Internet Explorer."

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2016, 09:44:01 am »
OM MY lovably GOD.

So, this isn't computery, but health insurance.

I went to get a prescription refilled.
My primary care physician wanted to see me before he'd refill it, so I made an appointment.
I showed up and was told that the office no longer takes my insurance (and hadn't since Jan 1, but I saw them on Feb 9...whatever)
They printed off what my insurance said my PCP was, Robert V.
I called the number listed and the receptionist on the other end of the line had never heard of this guy.

United Health Care has done nothing right since I signed up for health insurance last year.  They listed a doctor who hadn't been at the office he was listed at for three years.  They duplicated my account and tried to bill me twice for my premium payments.  They can't even bill me properly, originally failing to send paper bills after automatic payments failed (I did not get my December, January, or February bills until March) and I could never get back on automatic payments, their online form was blank and their phone system went "Success!" without actually being successful.

Ugh.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 02:26:17 pm »
So things turn out well? PC working? ;P

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 06:17:58 pm »
So things turn out well? PC working? ;P

More or less.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk