Author Topic: Raptor Dev Diary #3: More Audio And Video  (Read 31794 times)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Raptor Dev Diary #3: More Audio And Video
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2016, 02:41:37 pm »
:)
I'll let this derail fade away now.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 03:08:33 pm »
:)
I'll let this derail fade away now.
aww but I was really enjoying this discussion ): still though everybody else seems to be avoiding this thread so its probably for the best so lets get back on topic so yea the game so far looks pretty sick keep up the good work Chris there see I remember what the point of this thread was.
c.r

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 06:09:31 am »
everybody else seems to be avoiding this thread
I'm afraid I would derail it further.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 09:23:57 pm »
I shall.

Will this dinosaur eat?
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2016, 09:38:27 am »
I shall.

Will this dinosaur eat?

Possibly!  I really liked how you could eat the compys in the 1993 JP game.  I've thought that something similar in this area might work well for health gains in here.  That said, I'm uncertain if there will be health at all, and there's also animation cost concerns with the eating (though mixing animations plus dynamic IK helps a lot with that).

TLDR... maybe?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Kregoth

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2016, 02:10:14 pm »
I shall.

Will this dinosaur eat?

Possibly!  I really liked how you could eat the compys in the 1993 JP game.  I've thought that something similar in this area might work well for health gains in here.  That said, I'm uncertain if there will be health at all, and there's also animation cost concerns with the eating (though mixing animations plus dynamic IK helps a lot with that).

TLDR... maybe?

I would imagine in an emergency situation many beloved pets would be left behind, Mmmmm Yorkies!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2016, 02:50:02 pm »
I would imagine in an emergency situation many beloved pets would be left behind, Mmmmm Yorkies!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2016, 02:52:49 pm »
"We've been raising this baby bunny for a week..." https://youtu.be/M6JFgVByxgA?t=22

(Edit: Warning, bunny gets eaten.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:08:11 pm by x4000 »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2016, 03:05:57 pm »
"We've been raising this baby bunny for a week..." https://youtu.be/M6JFgVByxgA?t=22
god that video actually disturbed me particularly the fact that the man just laughs and I have to ask why they let a baby rabbit out in the open like that?! seriously he/she should have been in a run (granted I've never kept baby rabbits BUT I have kept baby chickens and I think what applies  with them should apply with baby rabbits if not more so since baby chickens aren't likely to sprint of for the hell of it) it just seems like basic logic to me.

edit wait was that a wild rabbit they were releasing into the wild? if so it makes them a little less dumb although in that case i don't know why they were releasing him/her into a suburban neighbourhood hood were him/her could get run over
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 03:13:34 pm »
god that video actually disturbed me

:-[ :-[ :-[  Sorry, I put up a warning now.

particularly the fact that the man just laughs

I think I would have had the same reaction.  To me his voice had that kind of "oh man stuff is hitting the fan and I have no way to stop it" kind of giddy quality to it.  I didn't think he found it actually funny at all, personally, but more like "this day has gone from bad to worse super fast."

and I have to ask why they let a baby rabbit out in the open like that?! seriously he/she should have been in a run (granted I Most Certainly Have never kept baby rabbits BUT I have kept baby chickens and I think what applies  with them should apply with baby rabbits if not more so since baby chickens aren't likely to sprint of for the hell of it) it just seems like basic logic to me.

I think that what they did was right, if that was indeed the mother rabbit.  That baby was old enough to be out of the nest in the first place, and in those sorts of areas it is likely that the nest was super close if the adult rabbit was right there.  I've been around rabbits my whole life in environments like this, and they look after their own even if not related (food scarcity aside).  I have some interesting stories about a rabbit giving birth and others trying to distract us from it, but that's for another time

Anyway.

edit wait was that a wild rabbit they were releasing into the wild? if so it makes them a little less dumb although in that case i don't know why they were releasing him/her into a suburban neighbourhood hood were him/her could get run over

Right.  And an adult rabbit was right there, which was why.  Mostly likely they figured out where the nest was to some extent, and most likely the mother had been kind of stalking their house for a bit.  Earlier in the video they said they'd had it and been feeding it for a week.  I'm not sure what happened that it got separated in the first place.  Rabbits almost never get hit by cars in a neighborhood like that, though -- squirrels are the ones that happens to.  But generally people try to avoid hitting any of those animals.  Squirrels are ones that dash back and forth indecisively, though.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 03:44:53 pm »
god that video actually disturbed me

:-[ :-[ :-[  Sorry, I put up a warning now.

particularly the fact that the man just laughs

I think I would have had the same reaction.  To me his voice had that kind of "oh man stuff is hitting the fan and I have no way to stop it" kind of giddy quality to it.  I didn't think he found it actually funny at all, personally, but more like "this day has gone from bad to worse super fast."

and I have to ask why they let a baby rabbit out in the open like that?! seriously he/she should have been in a run (granted I Most Certainly Have never kept baby rabbits BUT I have kept baby chickens and I think what applies  with them should apply with baby rabbits if not more so since baby chickens aren't likely to sprint of for the hell of it) it just seems like basic logic to me.

I think that what they did was right, if that was indeed the mother rabbit.  That baby was old enough to be out of the nest in the first place, and in those sorts of areas it is likely that the nest was super close if the adult rabbit was right there.  I've been around rabbits my whole life in environments like this, and they look after their own even if not related (food scarcity aside).  I have some interesting stories about a rabbit giving birth and others trying to distract us from it, but that's for another time

Anyway.

Right.  And an adult rabbit was right there, which was why.  Mostly likely they figured out where the nest was to some extent, and most likely the mother had been kind of stalking their house for a bit.  Earlier in the video they said they'd had it and been feeding it for a week.  I'm not sure what happened that it got separated in the first place.  Rabbits almost never get hit by cars in a neighborhood like that, though -- squirrels are the ones that happens to.  But generally people try to avoid hitting any of those animals.  Squirrels are ones that dash back and forth indecisively, though.
yea yea okay sorry  about I had what people seem to call a nee jerk reaction at first I assumed it wasn't a wild rabbit and then it occurred to me that if my time doing volunteer work for the mspca is anything to go by that plain brown rabbits don't really exist unless there from the wild I think I missed the part about it having a ma waiting for it so yea that's the only reason I got disturbed because I thought they were being incompetent or sinister
but if what is said is true then well that sort of thing just happens really I love all animals and that hawk needs to eat.
c.r

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 03:47:27 pm »
Seen it before.
Discussion reminds me that my dad freaked the hug out when he was driving his big honking tractor around to spread a big pile of leaves out and found baby bunnies.  He was worried he hurt them and didn't know what to do, so he called Mom and I to figure it out (we picked them up and relocated them to the other side of a fence).

I'm pretty jaded about wild animal death at this point, a prior dog we kept score between him and the ground hogs.

Offline Kregoth

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 03:53:22 pm »
I live in Washington and in my area there is a Bald Eagle that flies around. I am damn certain at one point in time, he took one of the Chickens as all I saw the next day was a ton of chicken feathers and one Iconic Bald eagle feather, but no birds to speak of :P

It's really something to watch them dive the lake and fly off with a fish or bunnies from the fields.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 03:55:48 pm by Kregoth »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2016, 03:55:24 pm »
Yep, exactly my feelings on "the hawk has to eat."  Seeing people take masochistic joy in something is a whole other matter, for sure, though.  When I was a kid, my cat killed all the rabbits and squirrels around my parents' house.  Took a good 5+ years for the population to really recover after him.

The funniest story I have about that cat (he's been dead over 10 years now, was 14 years old when he died) was one time I came home from school and saw him sitting in the yard in a strange way.  He normally would come greet me, but when I called him he just wouldn't move.  When I approached him he just kept sitting there -- perfectly erect and upright, very regal and a little... smug?

Then I see that there's this little vole (kind of like a mouse) running in literal circles around him.  Took me a second to realize that he was sitting on the lovably vole's hole, haha.  So the vole just had no idea what to do to get home.  I'm sure he was dinner shortly after.

Offline Kregoth

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2016, 04:01:00 pm »
Then I see that there's this little vole (kind of like a mouse) running in literal circles around him.  Took me a second to realize that he was sitting on the lovably vole's hole, haha.  So the vole just had no idea what to do to get home.  I'm sure he was dinner shortly after.

Cats are really heinous when it comes to playing with it's prey, Most the kills they make are purely for enjoyment (like messing with a mouse and his hole!) I get a rather funny giggle when people tell me cats are the greatest pets. So you like animals that murder for pure enjoyment? HAHA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk