Author Topic: Raptor Dev Diary #3: More Audio And Video  (Read 31840 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Raptor Dev Diary #3: More Audio And Video
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:01:24 pm »
Original: http://arcengames.com/raptor-dev-diary-3-more-audio-and-video/

Oi, Raptor!  Been four business days since we saw you -- what's new?

The short list of new stuff shown in this video:

1. Improved post-processing visual effects.

2. Improved raptor skin.

3. Completely re-rigged and freshly animated raptor.

1. A couple of glitches there, though, most notably in the walk animation.

4. Completely new sound system based on SECTR Audio and a bunch of custom stuff.  HDR audio!

5. Revised sound effects for many things, new sound effects for many things including the raptor, and things like reverb zones.

6. More stuff is destructible now, and you can see how that actually affects level traversal in some places (much nicer than getting stuck on geometry).

What's next?

1. More splitting-out of the various assets and prepping them for procedural generation systems.

2. The first foray into procedural levels with real content.

3. Custom audio occlusion based on my occlusion culling system.

4. Custom ambient sounds attached to objects (hissing pipes, etc) based on the SECTR Audio stuff, but distinct from it.

5. Particle effects!

6. Better vocalization sounds for the raptor, probably.

7. Putting all these new things together in the form of actual enemies to fight that use all of these subsystems together.

Other important news?

• Linux support is a definite thing now!

• Previously we were considering using dearVR, which includes some compiled platform-specific code that does not run on linux yet.

• Instead we've opted not to get that product, and are instead achieving the same thing using a mixture of SECTR Audio, our own custom code, and good use of Unity's own built-in reverb zone capabilities.  No platform-specific compiled code makes me a happy fella.

New Screenshots (click for really detailed versions!):

1. Running With Claws Out

1_RunningClaws

2. Jumping Threateningly2_JumpingThreateningly

3. Smash - And Cool Glass Shader3_SmashAndCoolShaders

4. Dramatic Pose And Detail4_DramaticPoseAndDetail

5. Raptor's Body Detail5_RaptorBodyDetail

6. Depth Of Field And Detail On Closeup Box6_DepthOfFieldAndDetail

Enjoy!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Re: Raptor Dev Diary #3: More Audio And Video
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:19:44 am »
Really looking nice!

The feel I get is a bit like this...without the guns...or blood...or aliens...but the aesthetic I get and the movement in 2D feels similar as well.

https://youtu.be/a-HXZq_8DDs?t=9m15s

What I most felt though as I saw the dinosaur was: I want to sprint fast and tear my enemies to pieces before scurrying away. In other words a movie monster. I doubt it will exactly be that, but that was the first thought in my head.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 01:05:35 am »
Have you considered putting some of your altered stuff back up on the asset store? e.g. the custom-built object destruction or ambient occlusion?

Offline garpu

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 01:25:52 am »
Cool. Cross-platform compatible is cool, too, and the Linux users are thankful.

So is this going to be like a puzzle platformer/FPS with claws? :)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 02:20:03 am »
is it just or do the not raptors raptors leg look a little to too hmmm what's the word? goofy? in the jumping picture? probably just me but they don't look natural at all.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 10:01:27 am »
Really looking nice!

Thanks! :)

The feel I get is a bit like this...without the guns...or blood...or aliens...but the aesthetic I get and the movement in 2D feels similar as well.

https://youtu.be/a-HXZq_8DDs?t=9m15s

Oh, cool!  I never saw or played that game.  It's very interesting-looking, though.  I really considered doing this in a first-person fashion rather than third-person.  In a lot of ways it would be way easier to make that way.  But it kept feeling a lot like a human running around in that video you showed -- even the footsteps were bipedal instead of quadrupedal!  That was a bit odd.  They were getting around that some by having other necromorphs visible a lot of the time to help emphasize what you are, but I like the idea of being the lone raptor.

What I most felt though as I saw the dinosaur was: I want to sprint fast and tear my enemies to pieces before scurrying away. In other words a movie monster. I doubt it will exactly be that, but that was the first thought in my head.

That is more or less the idea, yeah. :)

Have you considered putting some of your altered stuff back up on the asset store? e.g. the custom-built object destruction or ambient occlusion?

I've thought about it, but I tend to cross-integrate a lot of my systems.  The destruction stuff is really not something I could resell, because it includes too much stuff from other people.  The rendering occlusion system (not ambient occlusion -- we do have that, but I didn't make one custom) is something that I created from scratch after simply inspecting those of others, so I could sell that freely.  That said, it's built for specific sorts of use cases, and trying to extend it to make it more general-purpose is not something I'd look forward to.  I also wouldn't look forward to lots of people misusing it and then requiring support, etc.  Ultimately the money I could make from the asset store with this seems to pale in comparison to the hassle.

Cool. Cross-platform compatible is cool, too, and the Linux users are thankful.

Indeed. :)

So is this going to be like a puzzle platformer/FPS with claws?

Haha -- not really, no.  I don't really know what to call this!

- It's kind of like a horror game in some respects, except you get to be the monster.
- There are FPS elements, but you're the target and not the one doing the shooting.
- There are definitely a lot of action/adventure pieces to this.
- There is maze exploration and will be other elements along that line with decisions to make, but not puzzles per se.
- Being able to run around and jump is important for combat, and getting to a high platform to take cover and then jump back down (or sneak past, either way) might be important.  But it's not the same as a platformer with jumping puzzles.  None of that!
- There are some stealth ideas here, but not like most stealth games where you have to stay out of enemy vision cones or die, etc.  Just that sneaking around will actually work and is a good idea to do sometimes.

is it just or do the not raptors raptors leg look a little to too hmmm what's the word? goofy? in the jumping picture? probably just me but they don't look natural at all.

Maybe it's the angle of the picture?  I'm not sure.  The animations are being refined still, though.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 11:40:31 am »
Uh, yes, rendering occlusion. I'm aware of the difference, my brain just derped.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 11:46:28 am »
I figured -- I have had to catch myself so many freaking times when saying one or the other, too!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 02:04:01 pm »
Really happy to hear I get to play movie monster again. The 3rd person view certainly takes more work but the it is already paying dividends.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 03:21:49 pm »
The 3rd person view certainly takes more work but the it is already paying dividends.

Good to hear!  That's been my take on it as well.

I've actually been a bit inspired by Super Mario 3D World in terms of how the raptor is just so fluid to play with.  The forward lunge was definitely inspired by the down-forward strike of Cat Mario.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 05:26:57 pm »
you know I've been wondering if you'd ever make a full super stealth game Chris? like in invisible ink for instance were your ability to survive at all is dependant on not being in sight even if you cause an alert
a fair deal of people seem to think you should always have the option to go Rambo in stealth games but I tend to find that the Rambo option is usually a giant bore and doesn't feel good at all that and after playing invisible for so I tend to find stealth games a bit to easy now
or like mark of the ninja which while being pretty easy felt amazinggggg!.

ps if you don't want to that's fine to if you feel there's really nothing new you could do with the genera to be interesting or you just don't think you'll ever want I'm just curious really
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 07:11:09 pm »
I'm not sure on a stealth game that was true stealth.  Honestly I hate all the waiting around that winds up happening.  I like being stealthy, but not being forced to just sit there a lot.  Those two things usually conflict, so the level design would have to be pretty clever to avoid that.  Mark of The Ninja was something that I enjoyed some, but didn't play too far in.  Invisible Inc was something on my wishlist, but I have not played it yet.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 07:29:37 pm »
My favorite stealth games were those that being alerted was not an instant failure, but instead resulted in escalating response from the enemy. If you were spotted, first it would be a fight to prevent the enemy from calling for help and if that failed then eliminating / hiding from the less dangerous guards before the more dangerous response followed up. You could in theory fight the response force but it was always a steep climb, but on the other hand if you did manage to eliminate it then neighboring areas would be much easier since such a force was already eliminated.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 07:37:54 pm »
I absolutely love the police in Grand Theft Auto.  Always have, since GTA 1.  *innocent whistling*

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 07:44:26 pm »
I'm not sure on a stealth game that was true stealth.  Honestly I hate all the waiting around that winds up happening.  I like being stealthy, but not being forced to just sit there a lot.  Those two things usually conflict, so the level design would have to be pretty clever to avoid that.  Mark of The Ninja was something that I enjoyed some, but didn't play too far in.  Invisible Inc was something on my wishlist, but I have not played it yet.
invisible is a bit of an odd duck in the pacing regard since the waiting around that's simply in the nature of stealth games and something I don't think you can remove with it still being a stealth game but the alarm counter on the other hand forces you to be super turn efficient now you can bishy bashy everyone but it might make life harder for you in the long term especially since kos don't last long at all with default bishy bashers
something else I appreciate about it though is that it is actually super challenging unlike usual stealth games which tend not to be really that difficult but rather just designed at making you feel cool
but if you ever do decide to make a super stealth game I would recommend at least playing ink first if nothing else I love that game so much and as much as I like don't starve/mark of the ninja I really think invisible is a way better game and as far as I'm concerned my favourite game from them full stop
I'm almost tempted to call it their masterpiece but considering that there probably going to make more games in the future and that all things considering I don't think they've made THAT many games at all really it would be really silly for me to say that now.

ps to chemical art just automatically failing is silly although I find there's usually a way to cheese it personally I prefer were its pretty much impossible to deal with that extra meat otherwise it sort of kill the gravity of that happening I think invisible perfected that for me due to its one hit death nature and that killing anything is quite difficulty and expensive and will probably make life harder for you in certain ways
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk