Author Topic: What video game would give you the most nostalgic feeling if you played it?  (Read 57881 times)

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
Master of Orion is the great grand daddy of all 4X games in my book. Starting to get dated, but its simple so it makes a good game to just jump into.

MOO is incredibly solid. Still my favorite 4X game (Forget the Civ series!). Have you played Sword of the Stars? It's very reminiscent of MOO. Almost an exact copy/update for that matter, but awesome none the less. Managed to pick up the complete pack on sale for $5 too ;D

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous

MOO is incredibly solid. Still my favorite 4X game (Forget the Civ series!).

Whenever I get someone new into 4X, I always get them started on MOO. It's light enough to run on any computer at full speed. It's calculations are simple, yet its limited research trees help keep things fresh. The game kept a great balance between simple and complex that lets it be fun to this day. I love trying timed games where in 30 minutes I see just how far I can get with a small galaxy.

Have you played Sword of the Stars? It's very reminiscent of MOO. Almost an exact copy/update for that matter, but awesome none the less. Managed to pick up the complete pack on sale for $5 too ;D

I think I found the next indie game I'll buy. Paradox interactive makes cool strategy games, and from the reviews this particular 4X look good. I look forward to a 4X game of smaller size once I tire of my current game of Star Ruler (a cool game, but bloody huge in its scale of everything)
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
Have you played Sword of the Stars? It's very reminiscent of MOO. Almost an exact copy/update for that matter, but awesome none the less. Managed to pick up the complete pack on sale for $5 too ;D

I think I found the next indie game I'll buy. Paradox interactive makes cool strategy games, and from the reviews this particular 4X look good. I look forward to a 4X game of smaller size once I tire of my current game of Star Ruler (a cool game, but bloody huge in its scale of everything)

I was looking into Star Ruler, but I have so many 4X Space Games already ::)

Just make sure to get the complete edition of SotS. The base game is a bit... lacking.

Offline tootboot

• Newbie Mark II
The shareware episode of DOOM made a huge impression on me. 

Offline mindloss

• Full Member Mark II
Re: What video game would give you the most nostalgic feeling if you played it?
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 05:31:57 pm »
I love 'em all. Every game listed here (with the exception of Diddy Kong Racing, which I don't know) is awesome, and I still play each of 'em within cycles of about two years. For all-timers, though... Chrono Trigger or MOO/MOO2.

Edit: If anyone's into that kind of thing,

http://soundcloud.com/mindloss/sets

contains me improvising on Chrono theme on piano (track 3) and my electro-dnb remix of Schala's Theme (track 27). (The rest of the tracks are original stuff, but it's all 7-10 years old.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:40:27 pm by mindloss »

Offline Nalgas

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 05:19:11 pm »
You guys trying to make me feel old or something?  Some of those would be on my list, along with Star Control 2 and A Link to the Past, but so would older things like Mega Man 2 and Pinball Construction Set.

Offline Entrenched Homperson

• Full Member Mark II
  • @#%$&*$#@*-&$@##
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:06 pm »
Yea, pokemon wins! Though Star Control II is a runner up. I can still remember my first lvl 100, Starmie.^^

Ah man that game was awesome in it's day.

My little cousin showed me his new game on the DS and I made him release one of his pokemon cause it was shaped like an Icecream cone. Not cool.

Missingno anyone?

Options are deadly.... :O :O :O

Offline mindloss

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 03:06:49 pm »
I still play Megaman 2 semi-regularly :)  and I remember playing with Pinball Construction Set, just barely... coming on a 5.25" floppy in a big flat foldout cardboard box...

Offline dylanlee

I am  most nostalgic for Super Mario Bros. 3

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
X-COM Apocalypse
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VI
EDIT: OH and Final Fantasy IX! So many good old games.. oh man I'm having some serious flashbacks right now!
EDIT2: arrr I'm gonna have to complete X-COM Apocalypse on Super Human difficulty again and find a way to play those Final Fantasies on my PC with an Emulator!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:57:10 am by Kahuna »
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
   set /A me=:)
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Check out my AI War strategy guide and find your inner Super Cat!
echo 2592 hours of AI War and counting!
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
Yea, pokemon wins! Though Star Control II is a runner up. I can still remember my first lvl 100, Starmie.
! :o I still have Gameboy Color and Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow and Silver.
Star Control 1 was awesome.. and Supaplex.. and Duke Nukem 1.. and Raptor.. and.. and *head explodes of too much nostalgy*
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
LEGO Rock raiders or Super Mario Bros. for the Gameboy color. Sadly I lost my Color but still have a Gameboy Advance.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline Kahuna

• Core Member
  • Kahuna Matata!
LEGO Rock raiders or Super Mario Bros. for the Gameboy color. Sadly I lost my Color but still have a Gameboy Advance.
I forgot about that game! I used to play LEGO Rock Raiders on Playstation 1! I still have the game somewhere..
set /A diff=10
if %diff%==max (
) else (
   set /A me=SadPanda
)
echo Kahuna matata!

Offline doctorfrog

Especially the first of the above is an instant transport to my cousin's garage, shivering in the early morning in the winter, playing Batman on the NES on his heavy old wooden console TV, trying to get past the second level.

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
Oh good grief.  I hope the old arcade counts, as nostalgic for me would be the Atari 2600 and that would have to be Pike's Peak, god that game was tough as nails.

Gauntlet, the original.
Crossbow.
Sinistar (not a GOOD memory, either.  Gods that machine was annoying as hell)
Star Wars, the Vector graphics version.

Let's see, other nostalgia...
Master of monsters on the Genesis.
Zillion, same platform.
Plane (play it on the 8088 cpu, otherwise you will insta-crash)
Liesure Suit Larry and King's Quest and Space quest... Actually, the one thing I will always remember from Space Quest is that blasted Slot machine (SQ II I think)

Yeah, alright, I'm gonna go meander around old thoughts for a while now...
... and then we'll have cake.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk