Author Topic: Arcen Games: Music/Sound  (Read 140613 times)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
Re: Arcen Games: Music/Sound
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 06:00:55 pm »
I actually stuffed your music onto my iPod so i could listen to it wherever. It just has this 8-bit classic style that i love! ;D
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline strangelight

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 08:03:28 pm »
The re-mastered tracks don't have the "We've discovered the Zenith Remnant" dialogue in it. As far as I knew, I thought that was only playing in the trailer and no longer in the actual track? Oh well, that's going to be fixed.

That's what I wanted to hear, or rather, what I didn't.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 05:57:07 am »
Soo...when will we see these remastered tracks? *puppy eyes*
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 10:29:55 am »
The new tracks will be available with the release of AI War 4.0, probably in October. But, if you'd like to hear a few more sneak peaks, be sure to check out my facebook music page. I'll be putting up a few more today!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 10:31:06 am »
Do you mean the Tidalis music, or all my music in general? Either way, thanks for the compliment!

I actually stuffed your music onto my iPod so i could listen to it wherever. It just has this 8-bit classic style that i love! ;D
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.  Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 11:50:56 am »
I'm a music buff myself, and I really enjoy your work. Yours is one of the only game ost's I listen to outside or inside the game.

The only criticism I have is the Zenith Remnant vocal samples that play every single time I load the game, it gets annoying :D

Ohhh, I was confused. I just now listened to what you were talking about. So... what exactly bothers you about the dialogue? Just that it plays every time you start the game?

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 06:34:21 pm »
There's three things that bothers me about the ZR theme.

1. The odd noises in the beginning.
I know they are meant to simulate static and a crappy communication link, but they fit better in a trailer than in a theme song. Especially since you get hit by them every single time you start the game.

2. The dialog doesn't really fit with a theme song either, so this is really part 1½  on my list :D

3. The actual song is very nice, but doesn't carry the same epic whoomp as the original theme. The ZR theme is much more of a "oh shat we lost" kinda song. Very good in itself, but I'm heavily biased towards the stock song.

Much of this have been alleviated with the recent change to play the theme musics randomly on game startup. However, I've been having bad luck and getting 8/10 to be the ZR theme. I've even found myself restarting the game until I get the "correct" theme. >.<

As I said before, there's really nothing wrong with the song itself, but the long streak of noise and dialog in the beginning really throws it off.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 08:08:51 pm »
Do you mean the Tidalis music, or all my music in general? Either way, thanks for the compliment!

Well, i only have the AI War music on there right now, but ill grab the tidalis stuff too eventually. The tidalis music is more of that rich, painterly art style :)

So the remastered tracks will be available for free for AI war purchasers?
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2010, 01:48:58 am »
One of these expansion we have to gag x4000 (and maybe keith) so that in the Music discussion with pavel for the 2nd addon (not counting Children of N, as a full addon ,p) we can finally get Homeworld-esque Ambient Tracks/Sequences made. While i do like the music i absolutely dislike it always playing music even in phases where nothing is happening (or indeed - playing a relaxing piano part in the mid of battle ! (note to self - request dynamic situation dependent music fade-in / fade-out / track changes)

Sadly i admit that i play AI War Muted because of this, and just load up a bunch of homeworld 1 and 2 ambient tracks in shuffle - with fade-over enabled.

It would probably require some work to make Ambient Tracks "easy" to fadeover to battle or loss music but i think the acoustic dynamic it would add would be immense.

Wonder whom i have to bribe to make this happen? ;P
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 12:10:21 pm »
You mean something similar as to how Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander handles music? Dynamic track assignments? So when you are in peaceful, calm and building phase, the music is similarly calm and once you get attacked, it ramps up with a track that is more intense?

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2010, 04:08:08 pm »
Yes ;) With the balance to "more ambiance - less music" and only really large engagements (3+ Minutes) with 100+ ships or so get battle music.

With a 10% chance per 30 minutes for a "relaxing" track to start. Or something along these lines
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 10:45:43 am »
I'm not exactly sure what our restrictions are in terms of those things, but as more and more DLC comes out, there will be more ambient tracks, that I can promise you. Right now, I'm finishing up re-mastering the TZR tracks, and once I'm through with that, I'll begin on completely new tracks for all the games.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 07:54:33 pm »
\o/

Yes, I'm aware such responses are frowned upon...but that's really all there is to say about the matter.

Offline Vinraith

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 11:26:48 pm »
The music throughout AI War and the Zenith Remnant is fantastic, in my opinion. I really enjoy the new Zenith Remnant title piece (minus the vocal samples, which I see are going away) as it conveys a much greater sense of loss and sorrow than the original, and is also beautiful in its own right. The other particular standout for me would be Marissa, which is absolutely gorgeous and again conveys a sort of quiet epicness. All in all, AI War and its expansion have some of the best music I've ever heard in a strategy game, or a game in general actually. Kudos Pablo, and keep up the good work for CoN! :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:49:36 pm by Vinraith »

Offline PVega8

• Arcen Games Composer
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 08:15:00 am »
Wow, what a great way to start my morning :) Thanks for the compliments! I do feel pretty good about the music, and if you're a fan, then I'm excited for you to hear the re-mastered tracks. I think you will really enjoy them.

If you haven't had a chance yet, check out my facebook music page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pablo-Vega-Music/105436296179600?ref=mf

I posted the re-mastered "Revelations 9:6" track from AI War: The Zenith Remnant. Hope you guys like it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk