Author Topic: should Pantherbots/avalanch bots have trap skill?  (Read 1791 times)

Offline FrostyThePyro

should Pantherbots/avalanch bots have trap skill?
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:05:25 pm »
Both pantherbots and avalanche bots make traps, mines and electric floors respectively, and both have a tendency to basically kill themselves with them.  Avalanche bots especially as they will always trap the square they are going to move into.  Would it be wrong to make them immune to their own traps?  As it is you can basically whistle and run to kill all the bots with avalanche bots, and all but one panther bot (the one in front). 

Of course bots often have abilities that make them more of a hindrance to the bot team than a boost, and it will still be that way in reference to other bots, but this at least would make them be more trapper bots and less seppuku bots.

Offline ScrObot

• Newbie Mark III
Re: should Pantherbots/avalanch bots have trap skill?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 05:37:48 pm »
I like this idea, it does seem odd that avalanche bots kill themselves on their own floor. Perhaps only give them resistance to their specific trap types (so a panther bot would still get hurt from an avalanche bot's electric floors). Then add a line in the bot descriptions that panther bots are immune to mines and avalanche bots cruise right over electrified floors. :)

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:00:13 pm »
Is a bot killing itself with its own trap really stranger than bots that commit suicide, get lonely, or are incapable of targetting an enemy properly?
I think it works fine, and provides for amusement as well as annoyance.

Offline PokerChen

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 07:54:44 am »
It's a little weird, as a person outside the whole slapstick rogue-like sub-genre, to encounter all these "features". There are no "I'm-balances", just "features".

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:09:09 am »
It's a little weird, as a person outside the whole slapstick rogue-like sub-genre, to encounter all these "features". There are no "I'm-balances", just "features".

I dunno, I think it makes perfect sense, honestly.   The idea being that the bot army is very powerful, and you've only got your team of 4, so in order to succeed you need to use the bots' loopy quirks against them.

It's kinda like how Skyward Collapse works:  The unpredictability of your armies as well as the quirks of some of the funkier units are an intended part of the challenge, and are one of the main reasons why the gameplay ends up working well.  To truly do well you have to keep those things in mind when making decisions and planning out your strategy, and it can get very interesting very fast.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 10:39:25 am »
Yea, back during implementation I was reading the bot notes and asked Chris "so the Avalanche bots should be immune to electric floor, right?".  His response was kind of an audible grin.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk