Author Topic: No Misery Difficulty Achievements.  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Endless Rain

• Newbie Mark II
No Misery Difficulty Achievements.
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:32:04 pm »
For some reason, there don't seem to be any achievements for Misery difficulty. It seems kind of unfair to not give achievements to players on the highest difficulty setting, when those would be the most impressive achievements to show off to your friends. I'd certainly be annoyed if I beat Bionic Dues on Misery difficulty, but didn't get an achievement. (I won't be able to even attempt this for quite a while.) Could you please add Misery Difficulty achievements in the next update?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: No Misery Difficulty Achievements.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:40:31 pm »
We specifically chose to not add Misery-level achievements because then to get all the achievements (which a small but measurable part of the audience generally expects to be able to do) you'd have to play a difficulty level that is intentionally unfair.  Like, way out there :)

Bear in mind that if you meet some achievement condition on Misery, you still get the achievements (for Casual through Expert), so it won't just give you nothing.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline AnOddRadish

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 11:47:48 pm »
You didn't seem to have a problem making achievements for beating vanilla 10/10s... Or heck, 10/10s in general!  >D >D >D >D >D

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:04:28 am »
I'll agree that keeping specific achievements out of that mode was probably the right move.  Those that like achievement hunting dont want to be put off by ones that are SO difficult as to be almost unreasonable without an incredible amount of practice and such.   I've seen the occasional game do that one, and it usually just leads to complaints.  Lots of them. 

And this particular difficulty is, well.... I'll just say, I'm sorry. 

As it is I think many players will find plenty of challenge in getting the Expert ones, so that should work out pretty well.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:14:56 am »
You didn't seem to have a problem making achievements for beating vanilla 10/10s... Or heck, 10/10s in general!  >D >D >D >D >D
I'm Guilty As Charged ;)  There's also the one in Tidalis that's absurdly hard to get, and it's entirely my fault.  Chris even massively nerfed the difficulty of it before that game was shipped.

The policy we're taking here is partly having learned from those experiences :)

Though in AIW's case generally speaking 10/10 wins were possible if you set out to make them so in the lobby.  In Bionic there's _way_ less cheese potential.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 06:42:33 am »
Though in AIW's case generally speaking 10/10 wins were possible if you set out to make them so in the lobby.  In Bionic there's _way_ less cheese potential.

This. With the will, you can certainly cheese 10/10. Hint: 10 planet map, snake,  own 8 out of the planets outright. Or abuse that exploit that circumvents the no-cheat feature...
Life is short. Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk