Author Topic: Early mission hand-crafted bot mix discussion  (Read 1757 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Early mission hand-crafted bot mix discussion
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:13:30 pm »
It's not a critical issue, but we'd like your thoughts on whether something should be done here, and what should be done:

http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=12813

The currently used values are:
Casual: 10
Easy: 10
Normal: 5
Hard: 3
Export+: 0

I noticed that having the hand crafted mix for 3 days on hard is quite boring.
Also Easy and Casual share the same value. SO my proposed rebalance is this:

Casual: 10
Easy: 5
Normal: 3
Hard: 1
Export+: 0

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Early mission hand-crafted bot mix discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:21:34 pm »
What does hand crafted mean? Does that mean for this many missions, the bots will follow some specific pattern in order to avoid putting the player up against a random combination that might be too difficult?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:43:23 pm »
What does hand crafted mean? Does that mean for this many missions, the bots will follow some specific pattern in order to avoid putting the player up against a random combination that might be too difficult?
To clarify, this mechanic has been in the game for quite a while, all that's being asked for in that mantis record is a change to how many missions it is used for.

The mechanic is that for the first X missions a specific set of bot types is chosen for the map (unless it's lion's den or assassination since those draw from the enemy's army).  The specific set of bot types varies by day, but a day 1 mission will always have the same mix and a day 2 mission will always have the same mix (just not the same mix as day 1).  Some difficulties phase this out very early or don't use it at all.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 06:14:30 pm »

It means which bots appear isn't random, yes.

That's to avoid the early alpha new player experience I had: first enemy encountered is a Wyvernbot. Total Party Wipe.

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 07:12:28 pm »
The requested mix sounds reasonable to me. Unless of course its necessary to keep it for new players coming in to the game. But perhaps the revamped numbers will work also, just not as easy as long?

-Teal

Offline Winge

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:55:21 pm »
I like the sound of it.  If that seems too harsh (probably not), then the values on the lower end could be slightly boosted.  I agree that it would add a lot more fun to the lower difficulties.  Then again, I'm playing Expert  ;)
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 09:57:30 pm »
Then again, I'm playing Expert  ;)
Maybe you're taking a cue from the mantis record's spelling and trying to Export your pain ;)

Offline Winge

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:11:31 pm »
Maybe you're taking a cue from the mantis record's spelling and trying to Export your pain ;)

For the most part, Expert isn't that painful for me.  I can't say I've actually played through the full game, though--I tend to restart games to get the full effect of parts and part balance, etc.
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 02:14:08 am »

For the most part, Expert isn't that painful for me.  I can't say I've actually played through the full game, though--I tend to restart games to get the full effect of parts and part balance, etc.

Aye, same here to an extent.  Though the bot attack values will in general be higher now, they were much too low for a bit there.  EDIT:  Or just more consistent in terms of growth.   I misunderstood the original explanation of it.    Certain enemies could probably still do with an increase in their base attack values though.

Still, I'm gonna finish up my Expert playthrough and move up to the next one, which I look forward too, heh.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:07:54 am by Misery »

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 12:46:53 am »
Was very pressed for time so the exponential=>trilinear thing didn't make it into 0.933.  But next one, probably :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk