Author Topic: BD has set me off on an Adventure of Indie Roguelikes  (Read 26201 times)

Offline Rekka

• Jr. Member Mark II
Re: BD has set me off on an Adventure of Indie Roguelikes
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 02:54:39 am »
Teleglitch is insanely fast and you don't really have the right to make mistakes... It's what make it so good but also frustrating at some times. :)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 08:12:12 am »
Well I tried out Teleglitch after another random impulse purchase.  Very darn good, that one.  Definitely my sort of thing.

Though with all I heard about it I'd expected the early levels to be harder than they are.   Much stabbing occurred.  Though that's not as amusing as knocking enemies into the funky void walls.

Very atmospheric game, too.

Offline Winge

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 07:35:49 pm »
Yeah, I only had trouble in the first few levels of Teleglitch because I am horrible at stabbing.  Good at dodging, bombing, and shooting but HORRIBLE at stabbing.  Definitely practicing that to try and smooth out some of the rough edges.

Definitely considering trying out Dreadmor too, that looks hilarious.  I love the name of their firs expansion pack too  :D
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 08:32:45 pm »
Oh yeah, Dredmor is totally worth it.   There arent that many games that give you as much sheer content and such as that one.  There also arent many that can be that hilarious.

It's also the first game I've seen to have an achievement that you get if the game crashes.   I always thought that was particularly hilarious.   And of course one for naming that expansion pack, too, hah.

Difficult game though with alot to learn; nice easy initial learning curve, gets mean quick though, and there's about 2 zillion different items and such.   And those Monster Zoos.   

Expect to be congratulated for dying fairly often.

Offline Billick

• Full Member Mark III
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 09:02:26 am »
I finally got a chance to play the demo for NEO Scavenger the other night.  I like it a lot.  There's a lot of tension, as you need to balance your different needs to stay alive (food, water, staying warm, etc.).  Do I eat that mushroom that could be poisonous to keep from starving?  Do I fight this bandit who's chasing me, or do I try to run away?  The combat is kind of like Dwarf Fortress, in that instead of hit points, you get injuries to body parts which affect  your abilities to do things.  Unlike DF though, you get to control what you do in each round of combat.  I'll definitely be buying this game at some point.

Oh, and to keep this somewhat on forum topic, I'm really looking forward to BD.  I'm not in the alpha, but I've been following the development, and it looks like it's going to be really good.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 10:19:32 pm »
Speaking of Doom: The Roguelike. This run was some of the most terrifying I've done in DoomRL. 100 levels of horror :P
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 12:30:50 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation on Cataclysm DDA, but, one quesiton... how difficult is that to get into? It looks daunting at first glance. Is the learning curve like that of Dwarf Fortress?

Offline Teal_Blue

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 04:13:15 pm »
Thanks for the recommendation on Cataclysm DDA, but, one quesiton... how difficult is that to get into? It looks daunting at first glance. Is the learning curve like that of Dwarf Fortress?

I started playing a bit of Cataclysm DDA and its not real steep at all. I mean, i haven't played a roguelike at all until recently and it seems pretty straightforward. Not easy, i was chased and killed by zombies my first game, but it isn't hard to learn or anything like that.

Hope you like it, its really a lot of fun.

-Teal

Offline Winge

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 09:20:47 pm »
Oh yeah, Dredmor is totally worth it.   There arent that many games that give you as much sheer content and such as that one.  There also arent many that can be that hilarious.

It's also the first game I've seen to have an achievement that you get if the game crashes.   I always thought that was particularly hilarious.   And of course one for naming that expansion pack, too, hah.

Difficult game though with alot to learn; nice easy initial learning curve, gets mean quick though, and there's about 2 zillion different items and such.   And those Monster Zoos.   

Expect to be congratulated for dying fairly often.

Loving Dredmor right now, thanks for the tip.  Have to make sure it doesn't cut too much into my Bionic Dues time  ;)

I was doing horrible at that game, and then my most recent character just clicked.  He's in level 7 right now, which is more than twice my next-best character.  Must be the flannel...
My other bonus ship is a TARDIS.

Offline AnOddRadish

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 12:31:52 pm »
Going to have to give a plug to ADOM here, it's what got me hooked on the genre, and has consumed way more time than I care to admit. Someone mentioned that it goes overboard on the randomness, but I have to disagree. ADoM has a pretty big focus on randomness, but almost everything is within your control. Every situation that you put yourself in is something that you can control. Take for instance the Dwarven Halls, where insanely out of depth creatures can appear. You may have an incredibly easy time with it, or you may spawn on a floor with a titan, a balor, and an ancient karmic wyrm, but it was your choice to go that way rather than the Animated Forest. The one thing that annoys me is dying to early door traps, but they have gotten turned down in the most recent patches.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2013, 10:06:21 pm »
Let me pimp my favourite: http://desktopdungeons.net/

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 11:36:52 pm »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Rekka

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 03:57:54 am »
Yeah really good pick. Desktop Dungeons is a ton of fun.

Offline tigersfan

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 08:18:21 am »
Let me pimp my favourite: http://desktopdungeons.net/

Is there $10 worth of content in the Special Edition over the regular one?

What am I really getting there, do you know?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 08:47:31 am »
....there's a special edition of that game?

They dont say too much about it there though, do they... extra character class and some more quests.  Hmmmm. 

Bloody great game either way though.  It's progressed ALOT since the original free version. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk