Author Topic: Bionic Dues Graphical Floor Modifications (New Floor Tiles!)  (Read 2804 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Hi all!

Since I am a little fed up with looking at the same old gray everyday that I play Bionic, I decided to tinker a bit with the floor tile assets to make them look a bit more - interesting.

Disclaimer: I am no artist and the manipulations I have done are fairly basic in nature if you know a bit about image processing. I am nonetheless quite fond of the results :).

If you like what you see, let me know. I might do more ;).

Pack 1: Saturation Booster
Download

For this pack I simply boosted saturation to bring in a bit more color. The effect is fairly strong, though, to showcase what can be done. If the consensus is that the effect is likeable but too strong, creating a variant with a more subtle effect is no big deal. Likewise vice versa.

This pack currently works only as a replacement to the existing assets. This will change once Keith gets around to adding support for custom floor tiles. I will post an updated version of the pack then.

Installation
To install it, simply extract the attached .zip file to Bionic_Dues\RuntimeData\Images\Floors and overwrite any files it prompts you to.
To get the original files back, you will need to either Verify the Steam Cache or potentially reinstall the game on other platforms, I don't know :-\. Of course you can simply create a backup of the original contents of the Floors folder before installing the pack ;).

Some Samplers
(click for a full sized version, look left for the reference, right for the modified version)

Factory
Factory Original Factory New

FactoryDark
FactoryDark Original FactoryDark New

FactoryPoisonGas
FactoryPosionGas Original FactoryPoisonGas New

FactoryRed
FactoryRed Original FactoryRed New

GlassPurple
GlassPurple Original GlassPurple New

GlassRed
GlassRed Original GlassRed New

MutedMachinery
MutedMachinery Original MutedMachinery New

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:10:41 am by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Re: Bionic Dues Graphical Floor Modifications (New Floor Tiles!)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:59:50 am »
Here is a teaser of the kind of recolorings that can be done. Please note that these are just quick hacks. I might be able to do better ;).

The Basis:
 Original

Some Variants:
GlassMagenta GlassMossy GlassBlue GlassDeepRed
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:11:10 am by nas1m »
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:32:35 am »
Hmm, these are pretty good.

I agree, this game could use some more color as the floor tiles go... be nice to give different missions distinct looks.  The floors being more vibrant is a good thing.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 01:47:25 pm »
Originally we did have them more vibrant, but it made it very hard to distinguish objects from the floor, and so we washed them out.  Originally our cover objects were also very vibrant, but we had to wash those out to make it so that the bots themselves didn't just blend into those, too.  It made it easier to play, but not as nice to look at. :/
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 04:51:20 pm »
Well, maybe we can remedy this now - at least somewhat :).

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 08:34:28 pm »
I am absolutely open to folks working on graphical mods to anything we do, totally cool and fun. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk