Author Topic: Can I use an Xbox 360 controller on OS/X?  (Read 9480 times)

Offline thither

Can I use an Xbox 360 controller on OS/X?
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:14:38 pm »
I know this is a long shot, but I have a USB xbox 360 controller, and I'd like to be able to use it instead of mouse / keyboard when I play AVWW2 on my mac.  Is it supported at all?  (otherwise it's boot camp time again, I guess).

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Can I use an Xbox 360 controller on OS/X?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:16:18 pm »
I honestly don't know -- if the 360 has drivers on OSX, then yes it should work.  But it's more to do with the drivers on OSX with that gamepad than anything else.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:04:37 pm »
Yes you can. You need to DL a specific driver to play though - the one I use is:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

I had some issues binding the controls in AVWW2 and had to edit the binding file directly. This may or may not still be required as it was very early in beta, if you need help with that lemmie know though.

Offline drpuppet

• Newbie Mark II
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 04:36:39 pm »
Yes you can. You need to DL a specific driver to play though - the one I use is:

http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

I had some issues binding the controls in AVWW2 and had to edit the binding file directly. This may or may not still be required as it was very early in beta, if you need help with that lemmie know though.

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but I can't get my controller working with AVWW 1 or 2, regardless of the what I do with the in-game settings (latest drivers from Yosemite installed from here: https://github.com/d235j/360Controller). So I would very much appreciate advice on editing the binding file, beginning with where to find it! (I have the direct-download version).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 03:57:06 pm »
Hey there!

Sorry for your troubles.  You know, I just did update to Yosemite this past week, after being on Mavericks for years.  I kind of tried to stay behind the times since I figure most user issues would be with older stuff.  Funnily enough, my 360 controller stopped working on Yosemite at all, and it wasn't until after your post I realized that had happened for some reason other than my recent installation of Parallels 10.  My 360 controller is working fine on there.

Anyway, long story short, I updated my driver to a similar one to what you have, and now my controller works great in the other games I've tried from my Steam library.  Like you, though, I'm having trouble with the bulk of the Arcen titles.  Grr.  However, The Last Federation and Stars Beyond Reach, both of which are on a newer version of unity 3D, both work fine with it.  So it's something to do with the older version of unity the other games are compiled with. 

Ironically, apparently the v5 unity builds that some other games are using, which are newer than what we choose to use even for our latest games, are again broken on Yosemite for the 360 controllers.  Woohoo... so I expect we'll run into other unity 3D games that are busted for these controllers in our respective libraries.

Anyway, all of this is a roundabout way of saying that I can duplicate your problem, and that:
1. The earlier version of unity 4.x does have this problem (but only on Yosemite), and that's what this game is on.
2. The later versions of unity 4.x do not currently have that problem, and that's what I'll upgrade this to this week.
3. The even-later versions of unity, the 5.x branch, apparently have this problem anew (again only on Yosemite).  I don't plan on upgrading to them.

There is an external input manager called Rewired that I really want to start using, and backport into our older titles as well.  It's a lot more flexible in a lot of different ways, works on all of the above versions of unity, and doesn't have any compatibility issues of these sorts.  So, longer-term that's going to be my solution, but in the short term a simple unity version upgrade on my part ought to do the trick.

I'll post here again when I have an actual fix for the current problem, hopefully tomorrow.  But I figured I'd go ahead and let you know what I've found so far.  Thanks for your patience!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:32:07 pm »
Note for anyone reading this later: conversation was continued in a different thread.

https://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,17872.msg192219.html#msg192219

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk