General Category > AVWW Brainstorming

Achievement Suggestions!

(1/5) > >>

tigersfan:
In another thread, it was suggested that we add achievements to the game. This is absolutely something we want to do. If you have any suggestions about what those achievements should be, we'd love to hear them.

EDIT By Chris for clarity:

Achievement Must Be Individual-Focused
All achievements should be individual-focused.  In other words, you shouldn't be able to get an achievement just by logging onto a popular multiplayer server. 

So, for instance, building all kinds of buildings in a settlement is out -- because either a) you'd have to be present for every last building constructed, thus penalizing you if you ever stepped away from the server; or b) you'd be able to just go to any server that already had the prerequisites for this achievement and instantly get it by doing nothing.

So even something like "get to continent 5" is not a valid achievement, because you could just get to a popular server.  A better way of framing the same thing is "kill 5 overlords."  You wouldn't have to land the killing blow on each one, but you would have to be literally present at the death of each one.

Achievements Must Be Cross World
That gets at my next point, which is that these are also cross-world.  So if I kill 1 overlord in 5 worlds, that would still count.  It's not 5 overlords in one world.  If I am in and out of my own solo game and multiple MP servers, all of those should contribute to the achievements.

Achievements Must Be Solo/MP Agnostic
Some people hate MP, and some people never will touch solo because they only play co-op.  Some people play a mix of both.  No achievements will be implemented that require anyone to play alone when they'd rather play with friends, or with strangers when they'd rather play alone: so anything that is MP-specific or solo-specific is out.  Most things work in either category anyhow.

What Doesn't Work As An Achievement Might Be Great As An Unlockable
Unlockables are like the converse of achievements, in a lot of ways.  They are per-world, not cross world, and they are entirely team-focused and have nothing to do with the individual.  So having something like "build every building in a settlement" is a great unlockable but a terrible achievement.

What we're looking for in this thread is, specifically, achievements.  But we'd love to have unlockable ideas in mantis or in another thread, if you like.

Coppermantis:
 Doing Things the Hard Way--Kill an Overlord using only Tier 1 spells without first killing all Lieutenants.

Civil Engineer-- Have a settlement with every building.

Deforestation: Destroy 16 or some other fittingly large number of trees with one spell (does energy pulse still work this way?)

BobTheJanitor:

--- Quote from: Coppermantis on April 03, 2012, 10:38:32 pm ---Deforestation: Destroy 16 or some other fittingly large number of trees with one spell (does energy pulse still work this way?)

--- End quote ---

It does not, sadly. And the game has been completely unplayable* ever since.

*Note: May be hyperbole.

Coppermantis:

--- Quote from: BobTheJanitor on April 03, 2012, 11:43:52 pm ---
--- Quote from: Coppermantis on April 03, 2012, 10:38:32 pm ---Deforestation: Destroy 16 or some other fittingly large number of trees with one spell (does energy pulse still work this way?)

--- End quote ---

It does not, sadly. And the game has been completely unplayable* ever since.

*Note: May be hyperbole.

--- End quote ---

Curses! I loved doing that.

Kregoth:
Mad scientist: Build 1 of each building type required for spell crafting.

Scouter: scout 100% of an entire region and 100% of all areas within that region

Whats behind door number 2: Enter 2 bombed out rooms.

Secret Agent Man: Discover a secret mission in each type of area. This includes caves, regions, and buildings.

Time Waster: visit every room in a large building

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version