Author Topic: Any Plans to add Priorities to Galaxy Map?  (Read 2988 times)

Offline narb79

• Newbie Mark III
Any Plans to add Priorities to Galaxy Map?
« on: March 10, 2019, 10:47:04 am »
Really missing that from Classic, just helps player plan

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: Any Plans to add Priorities to Galaxy Map?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:34:40 pm »
I would love the ability to have priorities/text messages on planets. Putting such details on the Planet object is easy, the issue is the Galaxy Map UI.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:26:20 am »
It's easy enough in the UI once I start getting into that, although I will say that in some respects the old system felt kind of... forced?  I dunno.  That's why I haven't done anything more specific with it.

I kind of like the system in Breath of the Wild where you can have different icons that you assign to different parts of the map, and what those icons mean is up to you.

There are a variety of possibilities here, and the main thing is they just haven't been explored yet.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline narb79

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 08:34:09 pm »
Cool, yeah does not have to take same form as classic, i just find myself needing to organize and miss it in some form. In AIwar Classic I loved taking notes.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:42:43 am »
Agreed.

And now that I think about it, I want something like Roll20:
Icons and numbers. That is, when hovering over an icon I can press a number key and get that icon with that number superimposed on top of it.

On Roll20 it is good for things like durations or degree of effect, but for AIW, it would be more like a numerical priority (giving results equivalent to "research (low priority)" "dangerous (high threat)" "easy pickings (no hurry, but soon)" etc).

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 11:09:08 am »
Screenshots or videos of Roll20 and how it handles that would be welcome! :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:17:10 pm »
Screenshots or videos of Roll20 and how it handles that would be welcome! :)

Can do. Some probably already exist, but I can whip something up this evening.
(If I forget, poke me on a weekend)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 01:28:01 pm »
I remembered!

Four screenshots.

Base: This is what a token looks like when it's selected (the 'bubbles' go away when not selected).
Menu: This is the icon selection menu, there's a fair few icons available and there's a plugin that adds a ton more.
Selected: This shows what happens when you just click an icon (clicking an icon will clear only that one; the X in the top row is an overlay marking a creature as "dead" rather than an icon like the rest)
Number: This is what happens when you hover over an icon and press a number key.

Red arrows pointing things are mine.

You can have as many icons as you want, though they get rendered increasingly smaller (to fit inside the square grid) and each with its own numerical value as well (though I swore they just extended to the left before; Roll20 might've updated that recently).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk