Author Topic: Should we give feedback now or is it too early?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Magnus

• Newbie Mark III
Should we give feedback now or is it too early?
« on: August 23, 2018, 04:46:29 am »
Played a few hours with the latest Steam build. AI tactical behaviour is better than pre-pivot but still weird (they don't prioritize Command Stations even when they're vulnerable). Engineer behaviour is atrocious (they all flock to the same target, chosen in a mysterious manner, meaning they spend more time traveling all over the map than actually doing things).

There are also some pretty big bugs like energy allocated is accounted as available instead of spent, and tractor turrets apparently doing nothing at all.

I'm guessing this is a factor of the current state of the game, so I was wondering when is it going to be a good time to start testing.

Offline RocketAssistedPuffin

• Arcen Volunteer
Re: Should we give feedback now or is it too early?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 06:49:42 am »
I'm not a dev, but far as I know they like feedback about any time.

There's a fairly...large update I read is coming out this week: https://wiki.arcengames.com/index.php?title=AI_War_2:_The_Era_of_Discovery

The energy, tractor turrets (and gravity), and engineer behaviour are all known on the Mantis page: https://bugtracker.arcengames.com/view_all_bug_page.php

Chris can probably give you a better answer, though.

Autistic, so apologies for any communication difficulties!

Offline zeusalmighty

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:52:46 am »
The upcoming patch (hopefully by this weekend; maybe next week) is going to be HUGE. Lots of exciting changes coming and the UI got an impressive overhaul

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 01:42:54 pm »
The upcoming patch (hopefully by this weekend; maybe next week) is going to be HUGE. Lots of exciting changes coming and the UI got an impressive overhaul

Looking forward to it!
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 04:58:31 pm »
The new release touches pretty much every subsystem and overhauls quite a lot of them, so most bugs that were present would not be present anymore (and new bugs will be present, whee!).  Anything to do with AI logic isn't really touched yet, though Badger and I have been working on some things based on your comments here, Magnus -- so thanks for that. :)

I expect many many bugs in the new version when that first comes out, and I'm going to be intentionally breaking savegames for another two weeks or so, several times a week, as yet more major changes in the Era of Discovery come out.  My intent is that by about September 7th we're stable again in terms of not majorly redoing tons of ships to the point that older savegames wouldn't make sense, etc.

When the new version comes out tomorrow, it won't have all the proper stats and abilities on every ship, and it won't have procedural ship code in there yet.  As we process those various things, it will change the game to the point that each release needs to be started fresh for a bit, anyway.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 04:59:11 pm »
Oh, the engineer thing is fixed in the new version, though, I think.  IIRC Badger got that.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »
Engineer stuff is improved (probably not in its final form, but it's a giant improvement), and I'm hoping to take a first pass at the overall "AI choosing better targets" stuff tonight thanks to Chris' scaffolding work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk