Author Topic: Mobile Unit Overlap Oddity  (Read 2568 times)

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
Mobile Unit Overlap Oddity
« on: October 08, 2019, 03:59:41 pm »
Try this:-

1. Grab together a cluster of Flagships with loaded fleets; four or five.
2. Select them all on the galaxy map.
3. Double-click on a neighbouring planet and give the group a Move order (RMB) to a specific point in that system away from the entry wormhole.

Most times the group will move to that point and then shuffle a little bit so that their resting places don't overlap. All fine and dandy.

However, sometimes only one of the group will stay at the destination whereas the rest of the group moves away from the intended destination. A long way away from that destination. All the way back to the entry wormhole in a lot of cases. It's as if the overlap avoidance shuffle routine is sometimes massively overcompensating some how.

The above behaviour also happens with any group of mobile units but it's a bit less replicatable. There are many occasions where I've ordered several unloaded fleets to move to a specific point on another world only to find that most of the group has come to a rest a very long way from the intended location. I've watched hundreds of ships exit a wormhole, form a conga line to their destination, reach that destination, then about-face and conga line their way right back to the entry wormhole.

It's not a giant problem but it does mean that everything needs to be babysat more than perhaps was intended.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 04:03:09 pm by I-KP »
Atmospheric & Lithospheric Reticulator,
Post-accretion Protoplanet Aesthetic Seeding Team,
Celestial Body Design & Procurement Division,
Magrathea Pan-Galactic Planets Corp.,
Magrathea.

Offline Asteroid

Re: Mobile Unit Overlap Oddity
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 07:57:44 pm »
I've noticed this as well in the first version when cross-planet move orders were introduced. This seems to be a sort of comeback of this bug https://bugtracker.arcengames.com/view.php?id=21536

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 08:48:35 pm »
If you have a save and reproduction instructions that would  be appreciated

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 01:26:45 pm »
Still seeing quite a lot of 'ricochet' movement behaviour in large groups.
Magrathea.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 02:04:48 pm »
If you have a save and reproduction instructions that would  be appreciated

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 02:11:52 pm »
I don't see how a save will help you; it happens in every single game.

Instructions to reproduce are in the OP. Or just play a game where you box-select a big blob of units and give them a move order. Every so often, a small number of those units will move to the new location then turn around and head all the way back to where they were.
Magrathea.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 05:37:26 pm »
Because developer time is previous. Time I would have to spend time reproducing the problem could be another fix, or another feature. I'd rather work on problems with clear reproduction scenarios since I have limited time. Remember, except for Chris everyone is a volunteer, and Chris has lots of big stuff on his plate (Achievements, Multiplayer, etc).

The easier you make it for people to work on your bug reports the more likely they are to get worked on.

Offline I-KP

• Caveat Pactor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 06:27:42 am »
Attached.

Go to MIST.
Empty out one or more of the fleets there.
Box-select and move a bunch of ships around. Let them settle at the new location. Repeat.

About 10% of the time some of the ships (ranging between one ship and several entire ship lines) will rebound from their new location all the way back to where they were.
Magrathea.

Offline Kraiz

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 02:49:20 am »
I can provide another savegame as this is driving me mad in my current one.

Ark one, space planes, Raptors, V-wings, other fast, preferably long-range units for kiting purposes.  Ark one's knockback makes this a really potent combination.  Overdrive factory thrown in the mix for added effect.

I'll take the group into a planet, drop back a bit, issue move orders, and start kiting.  Enemy fleet follows me around.  As long as there is another, successive move order, there's no issue.  However, once the fleet reaches the end of its travel path and there's no more move orders queued up, a decent chunk of the ships usually fly right back to the previous waypoint I set for them, which is inevitably right into the enemy's wall of ships.

I've personally only noticed it with very fast units. ~1800+

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk