Author Topic: Long time no see, just giving input  (Read 2365 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Long time no see, just giving input
« on: November 17, 2018, 06:53:56 pm »
Or I should say I wanted to give input, but in my first 10 minutes I hit a roadblock. I want to add units from my home planet to a fleet on a different planet. Every time I press the unit number, the first step of the process to add to the new group, I am brought back to the original group. Using my previous knowledge of AIW 1, I cannot merge the two.

This is one of those quality of life issues that is just so annoying that I just stopped playing. It is cruel to do so, I don't deny, but in modern RTS the ability to control groups with ease is necessary. Especially since AIW1 did it without disruption.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: Long time no see, just giving input
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 07:08:07 pm »
Don't you have to hold down Ctrl or shift or something to add units to a group? I feel like the behaviour you describe is typical for RTS if you don't hold down the right modifier key

Offline RocketAssistedPuffin

• Arcen Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 07:25:28 pm »
I believe what is meant is, the view jumps to the planet the group is on.

So if your current group is on planet A, you can try to go to planet B to add units there into the group, but trying it will simply take you to planet A, as you have selected the group.

I don't think the game handles a group being split on multiple planets very well at all in general, though.
Autistic, so apologies for any communication difficulties!

Offline Nat

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 09:03:42 pm »
Speaking only of AIWC handles it, and with what I believe are the default key bindings:

Ctrl+N: set group N to consist of exactly the selected units.  Any prior units in group N are removed first.
Ctrl+Shift+N: add currently selected units to group N.  Group N is not cleared first.  This can allow you to have a control group with members on multiple planets.  This is the only way I know of to have docks on more than one planet all be in the same group.  It is also a huge convenience when you want to add units to a group that contains a dock, since typing N alone selects the mobile ships, but does not select the dock.
Ctrl+Alt+N: remove currently selected units from group N.  Members of the group that are not currently selected remain in the group.
Ctrl+X+N: described as "Set group exclusive" in the View Controls window, but seems to work exactly like Ctrl+N.  I haven't figured out what this does, and the help text is ~*~, rather than an explanation.

Pressing the number in the sidebar, instead of typing it on the keyboard, selects the group and includes any hotkeyed docks in the selection.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk