Author Topic: Important! Stuff you need us to look at yesterday!  (Read 14724 times)

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
Important! Stuff you need us to look at yesterday!
« on: October 03, 2016, 11:53:27 am »
The Design Document is coming into it's lock down for 1.0 and we're busy making sure everything is noted and documented!  Please please please point out any threads here that are super important (in your opinion) that needs attention now. 

Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Important! Stuff you need us to look at yesterday!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 01:05:16 pm »

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 01:44:29 pm »
The part where minor factions and how the IA invades is discussed and / or written.

Offline Cinth

• Core Member Mark II
  • Resident Zombie
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 01:59:36 pm »
The part where minor factions and how the IA invades is discussed and / or written.

please point out any threads here that are super important (in your opinion) that needs attention now.
Quote from: keith.lamothe
Opened your save. My computer wept. Switched to the ST planet and ship icons filled my screen, so I zoomed out. Game told me that it _was_ totally zoomed out. You could seriously walk from one end of the inner grav well to the other without getting your feet cold.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 02:07:06 pm »
Thanks!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Vinco

• Jr. Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 12:13:23 am »
Small thing, but design doc 7.a - behaviors still references mines, which I believe are now out of scope.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 09:40:55 am »
Thanks!  Fixed that.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
  • I'm going to do what I do best: lecture her!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 12:53:34 pm »
How are mods going to be distributed and made available to users? It's come up before, but there hasn't been a real answer, and there's nothing about it in the design document at all (far as I can tell, it is pretty gigantic now).

If mods are going to be a more prominent "back of the box" type of feature, so to speak, how they're going to be distributed and consumed is important. Right now I have the distinct impression that "go to the mods forum, find the thread for the mod you want, download a zip file from that, and extract it to some folder whose location varies based on where you bought the game" is on the table as an answer, and that's just not good for 2016.

Especially when Steam Workshop is right over there, offering prime discoverability, easy installation, automatic updates, and feedback tools for mod authors.

Offline Vyndicu

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 02:28:56 pm »
How are mods going to be distributed and made available to users? It's come up before, but there hasn't been a real answer, and there's nothing about it in the design document at all (far as I can tell, it is pretty gigantic now).

If mods are going to be a more prominent "back of the box" type of feature, so to speak, how they're going to be distributed and consumed is important. Right now I have the distinct impression that "go to the mods forum, find the thread for the mod you want, download a zip file from that, and extract it to some folder whose location varies based on where you bought the game" is on the table as an answer, and that's just not good for 2016.

Especially when Steam Workshop is right over there, offering prime discoverability, easy installation, automatic updates, and feedback tools for mod authors.

Non-steam version of AI War 2 will be completely unable to access steamwork mod. Of course that depends on if there going to be non-steam version of AI War 2.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 03:08:12 pm »
Theres generally not 'steamworks mods' in my experience, since steamworks is a game feature, not a modding one. You've got mods on nexus, mods on steam workshop (same mods, different delivery/update methods), or mods on game's forums. (Rimworld, Starsector, etc) Best option would be either both 1 and 2, or 2 and 3.

The more important question is how do unity mods work.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 03:13:37 pm by Aklyon »

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 03:26:56 pm »
Theres generally not 'steamworks mods' in my experience, since steamworks is a game feature, not a modding one. You've got mods on nexus, mods on steam workshop (same mods, different delivery/update methods), or mods on game's forums. (Rimworld, Starsector, etc) Best option would be either both 1 and 2, or 2 and 3.

Nexus doesn't have a tool that integrates with every game, though, so you're still doing extra work. It's *better* than just dumping files on the forum, for sure, but doesn't have the ease of use that Steam Workshop has. Getting mods for XCOM 2 and keeping them updated is the easiest thing ever.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 03:31:03 pm »
Non-steam version of AI War 2 will be completely unable to access steamwork mod. Of course that depends on if there going to be non-steam version of AI War 2.

Non-steam versions would need to do manual installs instead of being able to get them from the workshop, but they're already in that situation because the other stores don't really provide any tools to do it. If the Steam version is going to be the same "go download something from the forum and then find c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\ai war2\mods\", it's going to be clearly subpar against other games on Steam where it's "click this button".

Offline Vyndicu

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 06:55:41 pm »
Yeah that was what I was saying.

What I meant is that there are some modder that MIGHT not ever brother to put their mod on forum because of steamwork and vice versa.

That said. Hopefully we won't see as much friction between non-steam and steam versions.

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 01:35:33 am »

That has easy fixes actually.
What the workshop does basically is set a folder where steam download mods.
The only thing that the game has to do is take mods from 2 folders => the (wherever you installed AI WAR)\Mods and the (wherever workshop downloaded stuff)/Mods, for example.

So the only thing that would be needed "user-side" to transfer the mods from one to the other basically is someone downloading it and zipping it to put it on the forum, or vice versa if the mod ain't available on steam. Which would basically take a few minutes to do. If you check Rimworld's mods forum it's basically done every other day there, for example.

Offline Tridus

• Master Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 08:07:49 am »
Yeah that was what I was saying.

What I meant is that there are some modder that MIGHT not ever brother to put their mod on forum because of steamwork and vice versa.

That said. Hopefully we won't see as much friction between non-steam and steam versions.

Some potential modders might not even bother to *make* mods if the only audience is a relatively low traffic forum. Certainly, lots of users won't realize they exist if you have to go to the forum to get them, because realistically, >95% of owners of a game never visit that game's forum (outside of early access/alpha/etc, where it's likely different).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk