Author Topic: How to build X number of ships, not until the cap size is reached?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
What do folks think about this topic?  https://steamcommunity.com/app/573410/discussions/0/1732090362040651173/

Eric and Badger, I can't remember what we discussed, if anything, with it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
Re: How to build X number of ships, not until the cap size is reached?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 04:45:34 pm »
I'm confused as to what this actually is looking for. Can you give me a scenario where you would want this?

Offline RocketAssistedPuffin

• Arcen Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 04:59:53 pm »
Building a Sentry Starship to go with your fleet. You only need one - and they're energy intensive.

Additionally, in Classic, you could queue up multiple of the same ship in a repeating queue, so it'd go, in a loop:

Fighter Bomber Bomber Bomber Missile Frigate - Fighter Bomber Bomber Bomber Missile Frigate

Since there are more Bombers in each loop, it prioritises those. Of course, you can set a dock to build just those, but then it won't contribute to any other ship. Using that, if it has to build all three, it'll get the Bombers out first, while still contributing to the others.

It's...not something I recall using intentionally, but something I have memory of seeing in action when I caused it by accident. I did go on and confirm this is a thing.
Autistic, so apologies for any communication difficulties!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 05:02:42 pm »
Yep, there's also "build 5 on this planet, 5 on that planet."  Versus trying to get some on each one just split by luck.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
  • Love, Peace, and Calvinball
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:42:03 pm »
Being able to automatically maintain a "sub-cap" of a given ship would be incredibly useful to me.

It would especially be useful if there was an option for "remembering" which ships were built.  So, say I want a certain dock to be responsible for 30 of my bombers.  Even if that group of 30 bombers leaves the planet, I don't want the dock to build more.  But if any of those bombers die, I want them replaced by that dock.

Part of the reason I always ended up fleetballing in Classic was because of how hard it is to manage sub-caps of ships.  If I wanted partial fleets of a given ship, I'd always assign a full cap of a given mark somewhere just because anything else is too complicated to manage.

Offline etheric42

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 04:39:06 pm »
At one point we discussed allowing a fleet to set a requisition limit, so if your fleet (control group 2 for example) wants one sentry starship, a sentry starship gets built and assigined and no more.

Offline Jannik2099

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:19:33 am »
I think a fleet management system like in Stellaris would suit this game greatly, where you can pre-design fleets to include x amount of ships

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk