Author Topic: Gravity Generator Issue/Balance  (Read 3147 times)

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Gravity Generator Issue/Balance
« on: February 03, 2018, 09:21:02 pm »
Could you please tone down the amount of these things spawning? I have these abomniations on almost every AI planet and they literally slow down all the fun I could have of this game.
Played a game yesterday, the first planet I wanted to take had three. My ships moved so disgustingly slow, they didn't even reach a single turret or ship before getting pulverized.

So I think they are really badly balanced at the moment. Either the descirption is off ("slows ships around it", yeeah yeah, more like "slows all enemy ships on the entire screen and hug you for even getting on this planet") or my eyes but I think they react globally, not regionally. they also stack. This adds to the frustration. I could live with them being a global thing if the slower ship speed wouldn't have such a strong imact here. Never had an issue with slower ships in AIWC, sure it took a good chunk out of my fleet before I got anywhere, but it did what it purpose was, slowing down the fleet, so the AI has more time to send reinforcements. Same for the player side.
But in AI War 2 the speed fall-off is so huge, ships can barely get anywhere when this thing is turned on. And three on one planet.... makes me vomit.

So eother make it's radius not global (if it really is), tone down the speed reducement or remove the stack. Any combination of these three things shoud make the player feel less trolled by the AI. At the time, I reach the AI homeworld, it died of old age.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Gravity Generator Issue/Balance
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:32:57 pm »
We do need to have the UI actually tell you what's going on with those.

Basically, the more strength you have on the planet, the less the % speed reduction on your ships.

That said, yes, I'm sure there's plenty more balancing that needs to be done for them. It's kind of a new thing that we're getting to the point where people are noticing how imbalanced they are ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 07:40:38 am »
So basically the speed reduction gets divided between the ships on the planet? More ships mean each ship moves faster again?
This still doesn't solve the issue witht he spawn behaviour in my opinion, they are on almost any planet I find.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 06:41:39 pm »
So basically the speed reduction gets divided between the ships on the planet? More ships mean each ship moves faster again?
More strength. So a starship is going to count more than a fighter squad. And a golem will help a lot.

This still doesn't solve the issue witht he spawn behaviour in my opinion, they are on almost any planet I find.
Right now the grav generators are in the same buy group as turrets, so the AI has about a 1 in 12 chance of picking one each time it picks a turret (Grav generators cost more than turrets, but you get the idea).

I moved shields out of that group a while ago, and could also move tractors and gravs out as well, and have it have X% chance of picking "go tractors", Y% of "go grav", Z% of "don't bother with either, just make lots of guns", etc. And different AI Types can have different behaviors (as the Shield Ninny does with its ridiculous amount of shields). This can all be accomplished via modding, btw, if someone's interested to learn.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 08:47:28 pm »
This can all be accomplished via modding, btw, if someone's interested to learn.

Eventually we'll dig into it and make some AI types.
Eventually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk