Author Topic: So About that Interface...  (Read 5230 times)

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
  • Love, Peace, and Calvinball
So About that Interface...
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:01:16 pm »
It's been quite some time since I've sat down with AIW2, as I decided that much as it was totally worth backing to the "first look" level, actually playing the first look wasn't really for me.  ^^;  But it's now definitely at a level that I want to jump into it and see how far it's come, so I decided to fire it up.

One abnormally long load time later, I am greeted with the attached image.

And that is AFTER I used Alt+Enter to fullscreen; originally it was a one-inch-wide bookmark strip in the middle of my screen.  XD  Closing the game and reopening resulted in a now square game window, but still with such low resolution that I can't really read anything and the graphical fidelity makes the game look so old I'm glancing around for a shareware notice.  :P

Once I got past squinting at the screen to pick an Ark and adviser (random thought: Would be really cool if different advisers had different gameplay bonuses), I was able to get into the settings and set the resolution to something sensible, and all seems to be fine.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: So About that Interface...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:36:57 pm »
What OS are you on?  I'm guessing that it was old settings coming from somewhere that had it set wrong, from a prior version.  Sorry about that.

For the different folks helming your ship, we're making those cosmetic-only (as with the Ark itself) since people like to be able to customize function separately from form.  Customization of function will be a different matter, handled through the lobby.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline MaxAstro

• Sr. Member Mark II
  • Love, Peace, and Calvinball
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:39:40 pm »
Windows 10, and yeah I figured it was some old setting still kicking around.  Can't reproduce it, so I wouldn't worry about it.  :)

Yeah, I'd guessed that was the case as far as the advisers go.  Probably for the best.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 10:38:08 pm »
By the way, I have the same problem (Windows 10 x64 #1709) with current version and NO previous local files. I run Nvdia GPU 1070 and a 2560x1440x144hz screen and I can reproduce it 100%

I delete \PlayerData directory for starters

DX11
Start game, game starts in tiny resolution strip like MaxAstro showed
No way to change resolution in-game

Restart
Game starts in 600x600 (????)

So ehm, clearly bug, not related to previous files ;p

Unless we not supposed to delete \PlayerData directory...

Ps.: Game starts in 600x600 windowed, I have no idea where it gets that from. (That's the 2nd start)
Ps.: Fullscreen res is 1024x768 and does not match desktop resolution nor refresh rate

Èhm, yeah ;)

Log file excerpts

Code: [Select]
graphicsDeviceType in use: Direct3D11
graphicsDeviceVersion in use: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
graphicsMultiThreaded: False
graphicsShaderLevel: 50
operatingSystem: Windows 10  (10.0.0) 64bit
graphicsDeviceName: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
graphicsDeviceID: 7041
graphicsDeviceVendor: NVIDIA
graphicsDeviceVendorID: 4318
graphicsDeviceVersion: Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]
graphicsMemorySize: 8088
maxTextureSize: 16384
npotSupport: Full
processorType: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz
processorCount: 6
processorFrequency: 2808
systemMemorySize: 16322
supportsImageEffects: True
supportedRenderTargetCount: 8
supportsComputeShaders: True
supportsShadows: True
usesReversedZBuffer: True
4/13/2018 4:34:53 AM Resolution changed to windowed 100x600
4/13/2018 4:34:53 AM Applied graphics settings:

3rd Ps.: The framerate target coming later is also wrongly polled, it says 120, but it should be 144 for my 144hz screen ;p (This is important for VSYNC adaptive)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:54:07 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline BadgerBadger

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • BadgerBadgerBadgerBadger
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 11:23:06 pm »
eRe4s3r, thanks for that report. It turns out that downloading a fresh copy of the game will default to 100x600 video. I opened https://bugtracker.arcengames.com/view.php?id=19587 for this. Chris, this is a 100% release blocking bug.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 12:32:13 am »
eRe4s3r, thanks for that report. It turns out that downloading a fresh copy of the game will default to 100x600 video. I opened https://bugtracker.arcengames.com/view.php?id=19587 for this. Chris, this is a 100% release blocking bug.

Ha you are very welcome. What an incredibly neat little issue ;)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk